• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How best to get to Key west?

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I'm going to be there the first week in April and was there Labor Day weekend. I flew into Miami and then caught a plane into Key West. 3-4 hours driving is not my idea of a vacation. If you fly, you don't need a rental car at all. Cabs are plentiful for grocery shopping.

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
If he did a trade, likely via II for Beach House or Windward Pointe. For those, a car is still better.

For HSH, you don't need a car.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
We stayed at Windward Point Labor Day weekend. Cabbing everywhere was still cheaper than renting but am looking forward to the convenience of Sunset Harbor on this next trip.

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I used ferry from Ft. Myers which I enjoyed.
But usually, flight to that area (gulf FL) is more expensive than to Miami (MIA) or fort lauderdale (FTT), so I would fly to there and rent a car and drive to key west.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which one???

Just got a trade into the Hyatt in Key West!

There are actually a total of four Hyatt properties within Key West; three of which are timeshare resorts (Sunset Harbor, Windward Point, Beach House) and the fourth being the hotel just off Mallory Square.

Bill, just out of curiousity, which one of the three separate timeshare properties did you trade into and what did you use to acquire that particular exchange? :shrug:

Bungobird

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from a week at the Galleon. Our 3rd trade into Key West. We previously stayed Hyatt Sunset harbor.

This time we flew to Key West because the price to rent a car in FLL was $800 for the week! The previous 2 trips, we rented a car and drove to Key West. It basically depends on which way works out better financially. The drive down id beautiful once you get past Key Largo.

If you fly in, you can always rent a car and drive back up Rt 1 for 1 hour to the 7 mile bridge.

We trade our Marriott. We have found that request first works very well. II has incentive to get your match since they do not get and $$$ unless they get your requested exchange. We limit our request to Galleon and HSH.

Friends like to take the cat from Ft Meyers. When we checked into that we would have had to stayed the night in Ft Meyers..get taxi to hotel, taxi to cat...the expenses just added up.

Bill4728

Reaction score
There are actually a total of four Hyatt properties within Key West; three of which are timeshare resorts (Sunset Harbor, Windward Point, Beach House) and the fourth being the hotel just off Mallory Square.

Bill, just out of curiousity, which one of the three separate timeshare properties did you trade into and what did you use to acquire that particular exchange? :shrug:

We traded a 1 bd, mid may week in Whistler for a mid Aug, 2 bd at Windward point

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
We traded a 1 bd, mid may week in Whistler for a mid Aug, 2 bd at Windward point

Ah so you used your club intrawest points?

rreno

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
flying into Key West

Bill, I have been to Key West 15 times and will be going back in June. I have driven 2 times. It's a three hour drive if you don't get caught behind trucks or a accident. It's mostly single lane, however it is worth doing it at least once. As far as renting a car, I always do if staying in a timeshare. Parking is free at the windward pointe. I have never stayed there, but I know parking is free. I trade into Sunset Hyatt property, but the time you take in the cost of cab ride to the property,back to grocery,back to airport a rental car is worth it. The property you are staying at doesn't have a lot around it, so keep that in mind. I fly delta that flies into keywest via atlanta. I have no idea what is out in the northwest. Flights are not cheap, but if you check everyday you will sometimes get lucky. I'm flying from Indianapolis in June @ $350.00 round trip.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bill, I have been to Key West 15 times and will be going back in June. I have driven 2 times. It's a three hour drive if you don't get caught behind trucks or a accident. It's mostly single lane, however it is worth doing it at least once. As far as renting a car, I always do if staying in a timeshare. Parking is free at the windward pointe. I have never stayed there, but I know parking is free. I trade into Sunset Hyatt property, but the time you take in the cost of cab ride to the property,back to grocery,back to airport a rental car is worth it. The property you are staying at doesn't have a lot around it, so keep that in mind. I fly delta that flies into keywest via atlanta. I have no idea what is out in the northwest. Flights are not cheap, but if you check everyday you will sometimes get lucky. I'm flying from Indianapolis in June @ $350.00 round trip.

We stayed at Windward Point Labor Day weekend and flew into Key West Airport. We were catching a cab to Windward Point and the cabby pointed to it and told us to walk there, which we did. It is right on the runway! We didn't hear anything at the resort, but when you walked out the unit door, the runway was right there. It was kind of fun watching the planes take off and land. You do need a cab to get anywhere from that location, but, true to its name, it has a nice breeze right off the ocean.

Bill4728

Reaction score

Ah so you used your club intrawest points?

Kind of?

We are one of a very few CI owners who trade in II. Almost all CI owners use the CI in house trading company called Extraordinary(SP) Escapes or EE this in house exchange company works alot with RCI and almost not at all with II.

BUT we used our CI points to reserve a full week at whistler during May (about 60 pts) then deposited that week in II and made the trade. CI weeks ( even in shoulder seasons) trades as good as my best Marriott weeks (Maybe better) So we are sold 100% on using CI weeks in II.

One problem is that CI now does not any new owners to use II. You have to have been an owner since around 1998.