• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hotwire?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Any downside to using Hotwire for car rentals? Their prices for our upcoming trip to Phoenix seem a lot less than competitor rates, even with discount codes. I've never used them before so was wondering if there is a catch or something I should be aware of.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I could be wrong, but I think you have to pay when booking and cannot get a refund if you have to cancel.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are a member at Costco (and probably Sams and BJs too) check out their travel tab. They have great rental prices. And unlike Hotwire, you just make a reservation, no credit card required. I book when I see a good price and keep checking back. If a better price comes along, I cancel the first reservation and make a new one.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I could be wrong, but I think you have to pay when booking and cannot get a refund if you have to cancel.

You are correct, sir.
I know a fellow who had to pass up a trip to Colorado due
to a funeral, and had to kiss his prepaid rental good-bye.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
For Phoenix, I rent off airport. The taxes and fees for airport p/u are HUGE! ADDED: Try Budget in Tempe. Under $10 taxi ride saves many bux. Can return the car to the airport.

Jim Ricks

Last edited:

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also if you have to extend your rental, you could be charged exorbitant rates.
For the first time ever I recently booked a Hotwire car rental (cancelled a Costco one last minute which was good but not as low), and wouldn't you know it, for the first time ever we had to extend our trip for a week due to serious illness. Lost the non-refundable flights and got stuck with $65/day on the car.

Travelclam

TUG Member
Reaction score
book very last minute and don't buy their insurance pkg

The downside is that you can't get your money back once you booked; because you have to paid with credit card on line for booking it. You can buy travel cancellation insurance but that costs about $25 and add that to your great Hotwire rate, it comes out to be similar to any other good deal car rental anywhere without having to paid upfront.

But, if you book just the day before you take off, that Hotwire rate comes down even cheaper. Last month I used Hotwire for car rental at Orlando. 2 wks before my trip it was ~$15 a day. The night before I flew, it was $9. Hopefully the day before you travel is pretty certain that you will travel and not cancel.

Another downside is the car insurance package you buy when you book with them, is not recognized or honored by the car rental company. At least that was with the rental company I booked through Hotwire. At the pick up counter the agent told me whatever insurance I got from Hotwire it's not valid; only the insurance i buy directly with the car rental company is good. Not sure if he was telling the truth though.

B

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have used Car Rental.com and always get a good deal and no payment upfront. Can cancel anytime.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hotwire Rental

We've used them a few times and never had a problem or bad car. If I remember correctly you don't have a choice in the company the car is from so if that matters to you be careful.
Bart

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've used them for hotels and not cars; mainly because I kind of like getting off the Hertz bus and seeing my name on the board (not really that as much as just getting in my car and driving away). For hotels it has worked great; my brother has used both HW and PL for car rentals and been perfectly happy too.

CMorris72

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had good experience w/ Hotwire

I think Hotwire will make some refunds when it is an airline-related event which forces the cancellation. I had a hotwire reservation for Myrtle Beach but couldn't go when Spirit Airlines went on strike for a week, hotwire gave a full refund.

Also on my last hotwire rental I had a minivan booked w/hotwire and Alamo let me upgrade to a GMC Yukon for $10 more a day, so had a Yukon for about $300 for the week.

I always check the hotwire price and use it if it significantly better than booking direct.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience is that you can usually get a better price during high season by booking well in advance directly with the car rental company and continuing to check rates up to the time you go. I use SW Airlines and Priceline's website to see the prices of all the rental companies but when I find a low price, I book directly on the rental company's website as some will give you an additional discount if you are a member of their frequent renter program. Then, I check Hotwire inside of a week till rental date to see if they have a better rate. Sometimes car rates drop as you get closer to rental date but most of the time a rate you got months earlier will be a lot lower if it's high season where you're renting. When Hotwire's price is lower close to rental date, I then make a bid on Priceline. You can almost always get a lower price on PL than HW on both cars and hotels but it's more work since you have to make bids. Biddingfortravel.com gives you a lot of information about how to bid on Priceline and shows deals that other people have gotten for hotels, cars, and airline tickets.

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've used Hotwire for last minute auto rentals and had no problems. I wouldn't use Hotwire prior to several days out unless the price was amazingly low.

With the advent of Autoslash, my modus operandi has changed to booking way out (usually with Costco) and letting Autoslash slowly reduce the price.