• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

honolulu over july 4th or labor day?

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
We're visiting family for a week and would like to maximize DH's vacacation days by going over one of these two holidays. Seems like weather will not be significantly different between the two. How noticeable will crowds be?

On one hand, we're in Phoenix, so the thought of escaping here in July is wonderful. That's about the time cabin fever sets in. On the other hand, we'll be at the beach and visiting tourist stuff like PCC so I don't want to deal with massive crowds.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Both times will be crowded. It's summertime in Hawaii, so crowds won't be down THAT much. The weather may only be a degree or two different between the one vs the other timeframe.

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd probably choose Labor Day, if only because a lot of kids start school right after it, so there might be a few less kids around. (But a lot of empty-nesters tend to go to Hawaii around then, for that exact reason.) So there really isn't going to be a noticeable difference in crowd volumes.

If it made any difference at all, maybe choose the date that maximizes your vacation days? In 2012, July 4th is on a Wednesday, so that would be the holiday. Labor Day is Monday, September 3rd. So if you can get extra days off without spending vacation days, maybe choose that one?

Have fun!

Dave

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both times will be crowded. It's summertime in Hawaii, so crowds won't be down THAT much. The weather may only be a degree or two different between the one vs the other timeframe.

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd probably choose Labor Day, if only because a lot of kids start school right after it, so there might be a few less kids around. (But a lot of empty-nesters tend to go to Hawaii around then, for that exact reason.) So there really isn't going to be a noticeable difference in crowd volumes.

If it made any difference at all, maybe choose the date that maximizes your vacation days? In 2012, July 4th is on a Wednesday, so that would be the holiday. Labor Day is Monday, September 3rd. So if you can get extra days off without spending vacation days, maybe choose that one?

Have fun!

Dave

Hawaii kids start early. Late July for public schools. Late August for private schools.

Labor day week is definitely not as busy as July 4th week.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Flights might be cheaper over Labor Day. It is considered off-peak travel for AA award after mid-Aug.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hawaii kids start early. Late July for public schools. Late August for private schools.

Sorry, I didn't say it right. I meant that tourist kids would be fewer because they'd need to be home to start school after Labor Day. I don't consider the kids who live in the Islands to be part of the crowds, since not as many attend tourist-type things - they're Locals, not Tourists.

Regardless, it seems we all agree that Labor Day would be a better time to visit.

Dave

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
Labor day is definitely off peak. I spend Labor Day in Kapalua most years and it's usually deserted.

July 4 will be packed.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hawaii Travel Demand Index - The 4th of July is around week 26/27. Labor Day is around week 39/40. As you can see, July has the highest demand of the whole year.

tdi-13.gif

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Thanks everyone! Labor Day it is!

Bee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most public schools in California and Washington state are back in school before labor day, lowering the number of tourist in Hawaii. A large percentage of Hawaii tourist are from California and Washington.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Labor Day Definitely !!

If you don't like crowds then you don't want to be in Waikiki during the 4th of July.

Ala Moana Center's annual 4th of July fireworks brings the crowds into Waikiki.

I've stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village during the 4th of July in 2009. We enjoyed the 4th of July fireworks but I didn't enjoy the crowds at all especially on the 4th of July. I've never seen it so crowded.

From an old article at khon2.com
As always, Ala Moana Center will bring in live entertainment for the day, to entice the crowd to shop at the mall. But it's not just merchants in the mall who benefit from the fireworks display.

"Surrounding hotels are literally sold out a year before. They're selling their hotel rooms at rack rate which is basically top dollar, surrounding restaurants, the cruise ships, the the different ferries and such that have the dinner cruises," said Tso.

Some 50 thousand people are expected to watch the show from Ala Moana Park, the mall and surrounding areas. It was just recognized as one of the country's 10 best by Travel and Leisure Magazine, which was news to Souza and her busy crew.

Here's Priceline's Annual Survey of the 50 Most-Popular Destinations for the July 4th
Waikiki Beach, Oahu rankings for the past several years
- In 2007, Ranked #13 out of the top 50 http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Jun/27/br/br4106839725.html (beating out Disney & Universal)
- In 2008, Ranked #17 out of the top 50 http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/06/25/idUS126352+25-Jun-2008+BW20080625 (beating out Disney & Universal)
- In 2009, Ranked #30 out of the top 50 http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/06/25/idUS179544+25-Jun-2009+BW20090625
- In 2011, Ranked #33 out of the top 50 http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/23/idUS116860+23-Jun-2011+PRN20110623