• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Honolulu Hawaii

Baggi

Reaction score
Has anyone been to the 227 Lewers St property in Hawaii?

Flights are so cheap right now, I'm thinking of booking something for Memorial day week (Sunday to Sunday) and that 1 bedroom suite there is not even 200,000 points for the week.

Anyone have any suggestions? Think that'll be too soon and quarantine won't yet be lifted? Is there a better island to visit? I'll be going with my wife and 3 kids who are 14, 16 and 19.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Are you kidding? I doubt the islands will be opened up by then. I just got notice that my home resort of Maui Lea at Maui Hill is closing down for the entire month of May. I have no idea when the governor is going to lift the mandatory 14 day quarantine for those entering the islands. The last info I saw said: The quarantine rule is in effect indefinitely and anyone who breaks the mandate can face a $5,000 fine and up to a year in jail.

Baggi

Reaction score
Nope, not kidding at all. I think we've gone over the hump and in about 2 weeks there's going to be so much uproar to reopen the economy that governors won't be able to keep saying no.

So, I'm willing to take the risk, book the flights and the timeshare, just need to know what's the best options.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Nope, not kidding at all. I think we've gone over the hump and in about 2 weeks there's going to be so much uproar to reopen the economy that governors won't be able to keep saying no.

So, I'm willing to take the risk, book the flights and the timeshare, just need to know what's the best options.
Well best of luck to you. But if they still have the quarantine take it seriously. A couple was just arrested on Kauai for not following it.

I'm actually surprised any timeshares are booking at this point. I'd heard most of them had shut down.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
Has anyone been to the 227 Lewers St property in Hawaii?

Flights are so cheap right now, I'm thinking of booking something for Memorial day week (Sunday to Sunday) and that 1 bedroom suite there is not even 200,000 points for the week.

Anyone have any suggestions? Think that'll be too soon and quarantine won't yet be lifted? Is there a better island to visit? I'll be going with my wife and 3 kids who are 14, 16 and 19.
That's the Beach Walk resort. We've been there and its nice .. is a couple blocks to the beach but the square out front has lots of festivities (if they are on this season). Even numbered units face Lewers St & have better views to the square. If you're high up you also see the ocean between buildings. Odd numbered units face the pool but have a view of the parking garage on the other side of the pool. That pool is unusually deep .. cannot touch bottom anywhere in the pool. You can rent bikes using your Smartphone nearby .. would be a nice activity with family. The snorkling at the state park is pretty nice. Its a nice hike up Diamond Head.

This season I doubt Oahu or Lewers street will be the hopping place so another idea if you go at all would be one of the islands known for quiet .. Kauai. Shearwater resort in Princeville is right on a cliff overlooking the ocean and has beautiful verandas. Also the Royal Seacliff on Kona is a quiet place with wonderful gardens and some views of the ocean

We're actually booked for Puerto Rico on May 28th .. still deciding whether to cancel and push back a couple months. But we're stir crazy with this stay at home thing and my wife really wants to go. We're most concerned about the Flight .. and passing through the airports without picking up the virus. Also an open question for our trip is whether the Pools at the resort will be open .. that is a lot of the draw to staying Rio Mar.

Bob

Last edited:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Well best of luck to you. But if they still have the quarantine take it seriously. A couple was just arrested on Kauai for not following it.

I'm actually surprised any timeshares are booking at this point. I'd heard most of them had shut down.

Last week was the first week that the Pono Kai on Kauai let you cancel a May reservation without penalty. I have no idea when the restrictions will loosen and there won’t be a quarantine. As soon as there is no quarantine and travel restrictions people will start coming but it will be very slow and many things may not be open.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
We're most concerned about the Flight .. and passing through the airports without picking up the virus.
Flying is our concern. No vaccine, no immunity, highly contagious virus, etc. I have no problem going to the store, driving to a resort, getting in a pool, and doing what I need to do, but, getting on a plane and being so far away from family, doctors, hospitals I know. No Way!!!! My wife suggested, today, that we drive from NC to CO for a stay we have planned for July. My jaw dropped. Drive!!! 2000 miles!!! Better than flying, I guess.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at 227 Lewers Street (Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk). It's a block of so from Waikiki Beach. It's surrounded by shopping and resturants. Very nice location and resort. No need to rent a car. Take Roberts Hawaiian Shuttle from the airport to the resort. Plenty of public transportation in Waikiki to get around. Public parking is very expense in the area. Do you really want to spend all that time in a flying Petri dish to get there?

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek

I read an article on their arrest, and Luanne is right, they mean it with the 14 day quarantine. The couple was arrested when they were at the Foodland in Princeville. It isn't like they were out gallivanting at all hours, it looks like it was a typical food stop on the way from the airport. A quarantine is a quarantine, "do not pass Go, do not collect $200", LOL. So if the quarantine is still in effect, that means bringing enough supplies with you to make it the 14 days or arrange for deliveries (which might not be as available as usual...I know around here getting a slot is like winning the lottery)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Book it at your (and your family's} peril. There is a tiny chance that anything will be open. It will be near impossible to procure groceries. Do you REALLY want to be sequestered in a timeshare unit without maid service for 2 weeks (minimum) and possibly MUCH longer if a family member should develop symptoms? At a minimum, make sure any arrangements are refundable and/or fully trip insured.

I think that it's just TOO EARLY. But hey, somebody has to be the first one in the pool. It just won't be me.

Jim

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I read an article on their arrest, and Luanne is right, they mean it with the 14 day quarantine. The couple was arrested when they were at the Foodland in Princeville. It isn't like they were out gallivanting at all hours, it looks like it was a typical food stop on the way from the airport. A quarantine is a quarantine, "do not pass Go, do not collect $200", LOL. So if the quarantine is still in effect, that means bringing enough supplies with you to make it the 14 days or arrange for deliveries (which might not be as available as usual...I know around here getting a slot is like winning the lottery)
This couple was warned at least twice about the quarantine. When they arrived on Kauai they were asked where they were staying. When they turned the opposite way they were stopped and warned. They proceeded on and I think they were stopped and warned one more time before their car was found in the parking lot of a Foodland. That is when they were arrested.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Book 'em, Danno!

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I would avoid Hawaii until their is a vaccine. As soon as the resorts reopen, I plan on using my points in Orlando/Clearwater/Daytona. I was at Ocean Walk in Daytona when everything started to shut down. I didn't feel like I could get stuck and if I needed to go home, my house was only a 2 hour drive away. Just give your local resorts some love while things are still settling.

lisa1001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawaii is crazy serious. My daughter is a teacher there and they've said they will not even reopen the schools until there are no new cases of the virus for 4 weeks in the entire state (all islands). Really that could be a very long time even with a vaccine.

No one can go anywhere without a mask and even the locals can't go anywhere

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
"GSK and Sanofi, two of the world's biggest pharmaceutical giants, are joining forces to try and create a vaccine to stop the spread of Covid-19. "

"A plan to make a vaccine available in just 18 months was a huge acceleration of the normal process, she said. "

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
This couple was warned at least twice about the quarantine. When they arrived on Kauai they were asked where they were staying. When they turned the opposite way they were stopped and warned. They proceeded on and I think they were stopped and warned one more time before their car was found in the parking lot of a Foodland. That is when they were arrested.

Do you think that they were that dense? Or maybe they are specifically looking for a court case? All of the cases I have seen so far against the 'rule breakers' in my area have been quietly dropped.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Do you think that they were that dense? Or maybe they are specifically looking for a court case? All of the cases I have seen so far against the 'rule breakers' in my area have been quietly dropped.
I have long since given up on trying to figure out what people's motives are.