• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hong Kong hotels and mass transit

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our flight to Singapore requires a 12 hour layover (8 PM to 8 AM) in Hong Kong. DH has never been there before and since our body-time will be morning when we land, we thought it would be nice to see a little of Hong Kong. We booked a hotel in Mong Kok within walking distance of the Prince Edward MTR station and according to Tripadvisor, the Airport Bus stops in front.

Travel time from/to the airport is very important and I need to know the fastest way. I wrote to the hotel and they responded that we should take the hotel shuttle bus that takes 90 minutes each way

I then asked for other options and was advised to take the Airport Express/MRT that requires two changes or the Air Bus. I have asked twice for travel time estimates for these two options, but haven't received a response. I'm on the verge of changing hotels Can anyone tell me the fastest way to get from the airport to my hotel or recommend a hotel that can be reached faster?

davhu1

Reaction score
You really do not have much time. Accounted time for immigration? and then you need another 2-3 hr to check in for your connecting flight.

The airport in Lantau Island and is not convinient to where you like to go on public transportation.

Why not take a cab and return on the airport suttle? Last summer we took one from a hotel on Prince Edward Rd (Royal Plaza Hotel) to the airport for HK$185 (<US$25). It was early morning with no traffic and took less than 30 min. Evening traffic may take you 45min to an hour.

Forget the hotel. Just hang out till middle of the night and take a cab back to the airport. Use the hotel money for cab fare for sightseing.

If you have no luggage, this is probably the best:
The Airport Express takes passengers to Central in just 24 minutes. Quick and comfortable, trains depart at 10-minute intervals from 05:54 to 00:00 and 12-minute intervals from 00:00 to 00:48 daily. For schedule of the Airport Express, please click here. http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/transport/to-from-airport/airport-express.html
Spent an hour or two in Hong Kong (Central is in HK side) and then take the MTR to Kowloon. May be a ride up to Victoria Peak? Go around Voctoria Harbor, then walk up Nathan Rd towards your hotel thru Lady's St (Temple St is pretty much the same as Lady's St, but more expensive.)

Last edited:

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the hotel you book metropark mongkok? If yes, take air bus 31 from the airport and it stop in front of the hotel. Take taxi back to airport as the bus sto on return trip is 3 block away. I think taxi to airport usually 250 hk$ unless you m
NeGotiate. Don't take the hotel shuttle as it makes stop at othet hotel.

Judy

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have no luggage, this is probably the best:
The Airport Express takes passengers to Central in just 24 minutes. Quick and comfortable, trains depart at 10-minute intervals from 05:54 to 00:00 and 12-minute intervals from 00:00 to 00:48 daily. For schedule of the Airport Express, please click here. http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/transport/to-from-airport/airport-express.html
Spent an hour or two in Hong Kong (Central is in HK side) and then take the MTR to Kowloon. May be a ride up to Victoria Peak? Go around Voctoria Harbor, then walk up Nathan Rd towards your hotel thru Lady's St (Temple St is pretty much the same as Lady's St, but more expensive.)
I like that plan. But we'll each have a rollaboard - a bit awkward to be dragging around Hong Kong :ponder:

Judy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the hotel you book metropark mongkok? If yes, take air bus 31 from the airport and it stop in front of the hotel. Take taxi back to airport as the bus sto on return trip is 3 block away. I think taxi to airport usually 250 hk$ unless you m
NeGotiate. Don't take the hotel shuttle as it makes stop at othet hotel.
Yes, the hotel I booked is Metropark Mong Kok.
I found City Flyer Bus A21 "30 mins direct to Urban" that has a stop at the hotel. Is Air Bus 31 better? Can you give me an estimate of how long it would take to the hotel starting from the airport around 9 PM?

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
City flyer nus is the same as air bus. I always take A31 when stay at metropark. It takes about 40 min of driving from the airport to the hotel. I just book this hotel again today for our trip in april. There is hotel at the airport. If you decide to 33just stay at the airport, thrre is storage for a fee but I don't know what time it closes. The bus from the airport costs $hk 33 each way. No change will be made.

QUOTE=Judy;1232149]Yes, the hotel I booked is Metropark Mong Kok.
I found City Flyer Bus A21 "30 mins direct to Urban" that has a stop at the hotel. Is Air Bus 31 better? Can you give me an estimate of how long it would take to the hotel starting from the airport around 9 PM?[/QUOTE]

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cental on hong kong is business district and shopping district. It migjt be quite at night. Victoria peak is on hong kong island site and you might want to check what time it closes as you need to take the tram or bus up there. If you decide to still stay at metropark hotel, you can walk to the lady's market which is 3 blocks away. Then you can take the mtr train right around the corner to tsimsashu by the bay early early next morning.
The penisula hotel is there. A couple block away is the kowloon airport express station. It will to about 20 min to get back to the airport.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
hkg

I don't think anyone mentioned the best part of staying in hong kong. If you are on Hong Kong Island, you can check any luggage or bags that you have at airport express right on Hong Kong island and therefore you will not be bothered by them. You literally check in at airport express with your airline, so when you get to the airport you go to the gate with no need to check in again and no luggage. Then you can continue your sightseeing on Hong Kong island. The airlines will even tell you which airport express train to take to get to the gate on time at the airport. If it were me and i didn't want to sleep in a hotel, Id take airport express to hong kong island. You can see victoria peak and take the tram to the top. You can do some shopping and the take the Star Ferry to Kowloon. You can get the Star Ferry by going thru the shopping center and take the elevated walk over. Then you want pier 7 for the Star Ferry. Then ride/walk down Nathan Rd. As mentioned by others the airport express is great.
If you want to sleep part of the time, forget the hotel in Kowloon and stay on Hong Kong
island. All the hotels can be reached by FREE shuttle bus located in Airport express. Of course the hotels here are the big ones like the Conrad, Hilton, Marriott etc. If you stay at the JW Marriott, it connects to Pacific Place-a huge top shelf shopping center. You ll find all the big names-gucci, armani, boss, cartier, and every other famous label. Even if you don't buy anything it is worth it to window shop.
If you don't like that, then go to hkg island and take the fast boat to Macau and gamble in the hotels. Macau takes in more gambling revenue than las Vegas. Go to the MGM Grand or the Wynn etc. It will take you about and hour and a half to get to Macau. Obviously, this is an alternative to the above. You couldnt do both

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I like that plan. But we'll each have a rollaboard - a bit awkward to be dragging around Hong Kong :ponder:
Are there luggage lockers at the airport? If so, that would be a good option.

Kurt

davhu1

Reaction score

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Judy, the free shuttle to the airport express train station does not stop at metropark mongkok hotel.

Judy

TUG Member
Reaction score
So much information and so many ideas :) Thank you everybody. It seems that getting into and out of Kowloon or Hong Kong island would be a bit of a hassle and probably time consuming.

The question is, would it be worth it? It depends on what's open at night. I found that the Peak Tram is open until midnight. The only other things I've been able to verify as being open after about 10 PM are the Night Market and bars. We don't do the bar scene or shopping. Do you all know of any touristy things that are open late at night? I checked a couple of tour company websites and discovered that their "night tours" begin too early for us.

Maybe a private/taxi tour? Maybe one that would pick us up at the airport and drop us back at the airport or at our hotel?