• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Homeaway and VRBO about face

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a member of both to rent my cabin in central Virginia. Liked both because after paying the subscription price yearly (a little less than $1,000.00) there were no additional charges to owners or renters unless the renter opted to pay through them (a charge comparable to paypal)
THEN in December they were taken over by Expedia which scared me. I attempted to pay my subscription in advance to try and keep my current terms but was unable to do so.
Expedia has now added a service fee to any rental booked through them making them very similar to tripadvisor though tripadvisor is free to owners to list their property.Now they are attempting to double dip and profit on both ends of membership and from renters. This WAS NOT what I signed up for and have heard from several routine users of Homeaway and VRBO they are not interested in paying additional funds to rent what was previously fully funded by owners subscription fees.
I am not sure if participation is mandatory since they do allow you to contact inquires as opposed to tripadvisor.
The explanation provided by Expedia tries to say everyone is used to paying fees and the additional funding will allow more advertising and promotion leading to more bookings. Guess we will have to wait and see. I am one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" people.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Try Evolve.... a new service which collects a 10% booking fee from the renter. They PAY the fees to VRBO, etc ... Evolve runs the booking website.

PM for my contact person and phone... my contact has been explaining/educating me for 6 weeks ... I am NOT interested in renting my vacation home to anyone ... but I never am opposed to learning.

And they do not handle timeshares properties. (rats!)

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
VRBO

We use VRBO and other sites pretty regularly.
In fact I just rented a house for Easter yesterday and we are dealing directly with the owner. So there are no additional fees that I'm aware of (or that I'm paying).
Can't you advertise that by booking directly with you (not using the VRBO connection) that renters will save money......if you can find a way to accept a credit card (we like that) or Paypal......I don't think your renters will incur any other fees.

Maybe there's more I need to learn......Maybe I'll know more after we get our contract for this house........

Judy

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a member of VRBO and they've surely become corporate

I've been a member of VRBO since maybe 1998-ish (my listing number is 891).

The commercial they are showing on TV - which I'm sure they think is funny - grosses you out so that you feel like you can only feel 'comfortable' (not grossed out) by renting a single family home. Nothing else will make 'you' happy. And they've also opened up 'to non-owners' a bit ago. So - VRBO (which stands for 'vacation rental by owner') is no longer what it was. BY OWNER. You now have management companies posting their offerings. And they can re-direct you to their other offerings (and often do) without the actual owner having any say (I'm guessing).

Personally, I prefer to 'talk' to my guests. I'm a real person. They are a real person. I have played golf with some of our guests. It is 'their week' when they book.

And so it goes.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
My most recent rental with HomeAway was handled by a management company where I was directed to their site. Once there, I could see the other properties they managed.

If I was the owner I'm not so sure I would like to see prospective renters being distracted from my property.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing that many communities are declaring AirBnB and VRBO rentals illegal. NYC, San Francisco, Williamsburg, others. Owners are finding their renters busted and thrown out. Owners are fined substantial amounts ($2400 was a number I saw). Even in the building where we own in Boise, the HOA got word of an apartment being offered for nightly rents. A 'Cease & Desist' order was filed and the doors to the unit posted with notices to renters that the unit was being illegally rented and that there was a likelihood that they would be asked to leave and find other accommodations.

I know that I wouldn't like having a home or apartment next door being rented to any Tom, Dick and Harry who wants to throw a big party, make huge noise, and leave the mess for someone else to clean up after.

We've rented VRBO's and have been (I feel) good temporary neighbors, but at a couple, nearby full-time residents have given us 'the look-over' as we wheel luggage to the door.

Jim

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I'm seeing that many communities are declaring AirBnB and VRBO rentals illegal. NYC, San Francisco, Williamsburg, others. Owners are finding their renters busted and thrown out. Owners are fined substantial amounts ($2400 was a number I saw). Even in the building where we own in Boise, the HOA got word of an apartment being offered for nightly rents. A 'Cease & Desist' order was filed and the doors to the unit posted with notices to renters that the unit was being illegally rented and that there was a likelihood that they would be asked to leave and find other accommodations.

I know that I wouldn't like having a home or apartment next door being rented to any Tom, Dick and Harry who wants to throw a big party, make huge noise, and leave the mess for someone else to clean up after.

We've rented VRBO's and have been (I feel) good temporary neighbors, but at a couple, nearby full-time residents have given us 'the look-over' as we wheel luggage to the door.

Jim

I would be nervous of renting to strangers as well, or living near a place that got rented out. Last year in Calgary, Alberta a homeowner had their place totally trashed (http://globalnews.ca/news/1969699/calgary-home-completely-trashed-by-airbnb-renters/ ) after renting it out through Airbnb. I am sure there are many more horror stories as well. I would think you would need a very good house insurance policy -if renting out was even covered.

We know people who rent their home out with Airbnb and so far have not had any major issues. It is a 3 bedroom house but they list it as a 2 bedroom. The smallest bedroom contains all their personal things and is securely locked.

~Diane

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some places are strictly rentals

In the building where I own a condo (NOT a single family home) there are 64 units and it was built to be a vacation rental place. In fact, an owner cannot live there as a permanent place. And they can't rent to renters who will use it as their regular home.

I was the first in the building to advertise on VRBO and told other owners to advertise their place on it. One owner was kicked out of VRBO because he didn't have a written cancellation policy in place. For life! (at the time - who knows what the new policy is). Now most of the owners are on VRBO. I shot myself in the foot (wink).

This is the 'lobster in the pot' theory. They've been turning up the heat on their regular clients (that would be vacation rental owners) by 'offering' them different levels of subscription (I think the first time was based on the number of pictures you had). Seniority ruled for awhile but that disappeared. Once there, they 'added' more. Allowed to put more pictures on for more money. The more money you paid the higher up on the 'sort' you finished. Somewhere in there, if you didn't update your calendar often you got put at the bottom which forced you to put reservations on and then off again if you wanted to stay 'current'. Then the mapping became an issue.

Too much of a game.

Jim

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
All good things come to an end, eh? I just rented a condo through VRBO. It is managed by a company but I wasn't encouraged to look at other rentals. As the customer, I like to see all my options. My contract and payment is direct to the management company.

There's a reason I don't even bother trying to rent my timeshare weeks any longer - just too much hassle.

Deb

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes - things change ---- BUT

VRBO (vacation rentals by owner) was set up to connect owners of properties directly with the consumer. Cut out the middle man - which is what the internet was allowing people to do (you don't see too many travel agents anymore, do you?). So now they've morphed in 'a vacation rental site'. Okaaaayyyy. Not going to be ONLY owner direct (like the name implies).

So change the name - or better - start another company for 'non-owner direct'. Right now those who have used VRBO have thought they would be dealing directly with the owner. Not true anymore

Okay - let's say 'It's a private company - it can do what it wants.' (this is America after all).

So I guess we shouldn't comment/complain when II and RCI turn to doing rentals with deposits instead of having them available for exchange because that works better for them AND it works better for the person who wants to rent something instead of owning a timeshare so they can exchange it. Who cares what the 'customer' (the timeshare owners who want to use them as 'exchange companies') wants/expects?

The main problem with having a management company as the go-between is that the management company is usually 'faceless'. Where does 'the buck stop'? With an owner direct - it stops with the owner. With the management company - too many 'things' to blame (owner, cleaning person, cleaning company, maintenance, etc.).

Sounds like you may have hit upon a good one 'DebBrown'. Let us know after your stay how it went.

All good things come to an end, eh? I just rented a condo through VRBO. It is managed by a company but I wasn't encouraged to look at other rentals. As the customer, I like to see all my options. My contract and payment is direct to the management company.

There's a reason I don't even bother trying to rent my timeshare weeks any longer - just too much hassle.

Deb

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Just finished a VRBO month long rental in Steamboat Springs. Such a nice place, I signed up for next year. ;)

Dealt directly with the owner. I did look at other properties, some I connected with the owner and others, some Management Company. In general, the Management Company was a minimum twice as expensive as the private owner for a comparable unit. :eek:

Cheers

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The main problem with having a management company as the go-between is that the management company is usually 'faceless'. Where does 'the buck stop'? With an owner direct - it stops with the owner. With the management company - too many 'things' to blame (owner, cleaning person, cleaning company, maintenance, etc.).

Sounds like you may have hit upon a good one 'DebBrown'. Let us know after your stay how it went.

Well, I've dealt with a couple of pretty flaky owners. Working direct does not guarantee a professional or honest relationship. I've lost my security deposit for trumped up reasons and another time, a day of vacation because a house was infested with bats. :(

So these are pros and cons either way.

Deb

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Our recent trip to Hawaii was to an AirBNB spot that was individually owned but managed by a local company. It was summer, and 90 degrees when we arrived, and counted seven fans in the apartment, which was not large and supposed to be air conditioned. The unit was the size of a medium breadbox.

They found us another place right away. An individual couldn't have done that.

Really: for $400, about 3 nights income, you could buy an A/C unit that would have turned this place into an ice cube (although Hawaii DOES have high electric rates).

=====

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
"I'm seeing that many communities are declaring AirBnB and VRBO rentals illegal. NYC, San Francisco..."

"Illegal" ? this is not correct... trying to Regulate? yes...

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
"I'm seeing that many communities are declaring AirBnB and VRBO rentals illegal. NYC, San Francisco..."

"Illegal" ? this is not correct... trying to Regulate? yes...

Our friends live in a typical suburban neighborhood in San Diego. Not near the beach, not near downtown, Balboa Park, and not near any walkable neighborhoods. The house across the street has been in the same family for 50 years. Mom and Dad have passed and their kids are now advertising the house on Airbnb as perfect for bachelor parties. It's booked every weekend - sleeps 12. Crazy. And so far the city has done nothing.

Renting a room in your house - not a big deal. Renting your house for the weekend once in awhile - not a big deal. Weekly house parties in a quiet neighborhood - not cool. I suspect that many of those cities are responding to the other people in the neighborhoods being impacted by the short term rentals.