• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Home & Timeshare Exchanges

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a creative idea for you all.

Before I started timeshares, I dabbled with a few home exchanges. I was a member of a site that allowed me to exchange homes. Living in the high demand DC area made it a bit easier.

A couple times, I would exchange their big home for a hotel room using my points. (now I can add timeshares to the mix too). This worked great because their homes fit 4 to 8 people, whereas a hotel room only fits 2 people comfortably. I targeted big homes near beaches in the summer. So I would have to give up lots of hotel points (NYC or London) so it worked out well for both sides.

I now own too many timeshares so I stopped doing this the last couple years. But I wanted to let you know that it worked out really well and others should consider it. I would do it again if I need to travel with a bigger group to places that don't have timeshares.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There are home exchange websites.

I once rented someone's condo in London, and it turned out to be her primary home - not a vacation rental. All her personal stuff was there: toiletries in the bathroom, food in the fridge, all the usual personal items, just like she walked out and I walked in. It was uncomfortable.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
No way would I ever let a stranger stay in my home.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
No way would I ever let a stranger stay in my home.

I agree that letting people stay in my house was an inconvenience. You have to trust that they don't mess things up. You have to secure valuables. You have to clean up after them when you return. That's why I switched my approach to letting them stay in hotels (or my timeshares now).

Denise also pointed out the other negative for some people. My wife didn't like living in someone's home. She didn't want to see all their personal items. I personally think this aspect is a positive. For example, by doing this, I watched their DVDs and used their bikes, their beach and sports equipment, etc. I even used their car once. If I was staying in a hotel or timeshare, I would have to pay extra for each of these things.

This exchange is also very easy. I just say, I would like to stay in your home. In return, you can stay in any Marriott hotel (or Wyndham timeshare). Certainly, they can find some location that meets their needs.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have to say, I have rented 2 homes via Home Away, which were both very nice. But- I still like being at a resort better. Not as lonely and also- like was mentioned- using the things in the house crossed over the personal line for me.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
Three years since I wrote this post, I have done a couple more home exchanges. I just wanted to provide an update that the HomeExchange website has completely changed its model. It is more like AirBNB in that each member establishes a price (in points) that is needed for each night. I think this will increase its usage. I currently have a good number of points so I'm excited to see what I can get for them.