• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hollywood Beach Tower should ditch Capital Vacations

cindyhbt

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hollywood Beach tower
We own week 20 at Hollywood Beach tower. We sat through a absolutely horrible sales presentation may 2023. The salesperson proceeded to tell me what Capital Vacations would do to us if we defaulted on our contract. I use to love our timeshare. We traded through RCI when we were not using it. Now I'm afraid of what the future holds. Lately I've been waking up with panic attacks. Worried about increasing maintenance fees, special assessments, and perpetuity agreements. I contacted them today about the deed back program. It's not free, or cheap, but it's worth it to get me out of this timeshare nightmare. They aren't buying up deeds. We're paying them to take them. Every unit in that building is $150,000 in deed back revenue. They were turning around and selling those deeds for $13,000 to $60,000 a week with their point system. I didn't vote their people in, but that's all I can do. I don't have the money or the power to fight them. I have to protect my own family.

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
They cannot force you to sell your week to them. I hope you did not buy into their Club. If you did not then you have a deeded week that you can sell on your own. I sold one of mine through Redweek. It was very easy.

jrb916

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own week 20 at Hollywood Beach tower. We sat through a absolutely horrible sales presentation may 2023. The salesperson proceeded to tell me what Capital Vacations would do to us if we defaulted on our contract. I use to love our timeshare. We traded through RCI when we were not using it. Now I'm afraid of what the future holds. Lately I've been waking up with panic attacks. Worried about increasing maintenance fees, special assessments, and perpetuity agreements. I contacted them today about the deed back program. It's not free, or cheap, but it's worth it to get me out of this timeshare nightmare. They aren't buying up deeds. We're paying them to take them. Every unit in that building is $150,000 in deed back revenue. They were turning around and selling those deeds for $13,000 to $60,000 a week with their point system. I didn't vote their people in, but that's all I can do. I don't have the money or the power to fight them. I have to protect my own family.
Don’t let them scare you. If they raise maintenance fees or have a special assessment, Capital Vacations (CV) will have to pay it in all of their deeds/points. They want your deed so they put it in their trust & sell points. You have a week you can use or trade. CV may put restrictions on how you trade it so learn their system & make the most of it. If you want to get rid of it, post it here for free. If it doesn’t ‘sell’ soon, pay the transfer fees/add a $500 gift card, etc. You will be ahead per your other posts regarding the CV deed back program.

cindyhbt

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hollywood Beach tower
Don’t let them scare you. If they raise maintenance fees or have a special assessment, Capital Vacations (CV) will have to pay it in all of their deeds/points. They want your deed so they put it in their trust & sell points. You have a week you can use or trade. CV may put restrictions on how you trade it so learn their system & make the most of it. If you want to get rid of it, post it here for free. If it doesn’t ‘sell’ soon, pay the transfer fees/add a $500 gift card, etc. You will be ahead per your other posts regarding the CV deed back program.
I'm unsure how to do all the paperwork for a deed transfer if I sell it on my own.

cindyhbt

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hollywood Beach tower
They cannot force you to sell your week to them. I hope you did not buy into their Club. If you did not then you have a deeded week that you can sell on your own. I sold one of mine through Redweek. It was very easy.
Luckily I was smart enough not to buy into their points system. I came close, but returned it the same night. We have had our deeded week since points timeshares first became a thing. I don't want my children to have to deal with inheritance issues now that we are older. A lot of people say it is next to impossible to sell them.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Try giving it away for free here, first. You can use LT Transfers to handle the paperwork for a modest fee ($200-$300.) They will hold your hand through the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cindyhbt

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hollywood Beach tower
I'm new to tugg so I will give it a try. I don't have a problem paying any closing costs.i just don't know how to proceed. My biggest concern is not leaving this as an inheritance or worrying about rising maintenance fees when I'm on a fixed income. Those days are right around the corner. We bought a timeshare the way they were originally ment to be used with a deeded week. We. Don't have the flexibility of points. Over the 25 years since we purchased the point systems have eaten up the deeded weeks. It's getting harder to find destinVegas. To trade into that aren't absolute tourist traps. Like Orlando or Vegas.

cindyhbt

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hollywood Beach tower
Try giving it away for free here, first. You can use LT Transfers to handle the paperwork for a modest fee ($200-$300.) They will hold your hand through the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you!

cindyhbt

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hollywood Beach tower
Did you own a timeshare before Capital Vacations took over?
yes, we were lucky. We have an original deeded week, that we have never changed or upgraded. The deed has no additional contracts to make it more difficult to sell. They won't sell those to you anymore through the vacation management companies. You have to buy the point system and even though they give you a deed technically I think its theirs. Your just buying into a vacation plan. From what I understand they have huge yearly maintenance fees, and they have no control over increases. I can only be charged my percentage of the assessments for maintenance and taxes. Of course this does not include special assessments. We only had one in 24 years. When they refurbished the entire unit right down to the studs. I felt the $1700 was reasonable. It brought our resort to a silver level and the upgrade was badly needed. SPM did that when they became the management company. I really don't know all the logistics of how it works but why would my maintenance fee be under $1200 and points owners are paying over $3000. There are a lot more bogus charges that are giving somebody a huge salary to do nothing.

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned since 2000. I have nothing to do with Capital Vacations. I just walk past them. It infuriates them. They do not own HBT. I own my deed and they cannot have it. I can still trade with TCI if I want. They are just contracted to collect MFs and to do resale. BUT, the board has been hoodwinked. They will try to get all the deeds into their trust. But they cannot have mine. I agree with the past assessment. It was worth it. Capital Vacations cannot raise MF's beyond a certain legal percentage. Just ignore them. We are keeping our week 15. I rent it and make a profit on the years we don't use it.

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points owners seem to have to pay more for the privilege to actually use their points. We weeks owners just pay the straight MF. It went up this year to cover the new Homeowner insurance rates that all of Florida is experiencing.

cindyhbt

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hollywood Beach tower
We were there last year. It's still very nice. Sounds like the dilapidated property next is finally going to be torn down. Avoid the sales people.

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
At this point the mayor of Hollywood said it is not going to be demolished. It is going to be a designated historical site in one year, and then they cannot demolish it. It is a magnificent building, 99 years old. Built by the founder of Hollywood Beach. It will take probably 5 years to renovate.

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
At this point the mayor of Hollywood said it is not going to be demolished. It is going to be a designated historical site in one year, and then they cannot demolish it. It is a magnificent building, 99 years old. Built by the founder of Hollywood. It will take probably 5 years to renovate.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
yes, we were lucky. We have an original deeded week, that we have never changed or upgraded. The deed has no additional contracts to make it more difficult to sell. They won't sell those to you anymore through the vacation management companies. You have to buy the point system and even though they give you a deed technically I think its theirs. Your just buying into a vacation plan. From what I understand they have huge yearly maintenance fees, and they have no control over increases. I can only be charged my percentage of the assessments for maintenance and taxes. Of course this does not include special assessments. We only had one in 24 years. When they refurbished the entire unit right down to the studs. I felt the $1700 was reasonable. It brought our resort to a silver level and the upgrade was badly needed. SPM did that when they became the management company. I really don't know all the logistics of how it works but why would my maintenance fee be under $1200 and points owners are paying over $3000. There are a lot more bogus charges that are giving somebody a huge salary to do nothing.
It sounds like Capital Vacations is not so much a timeshare management company as it is a self-licking ice cream cone.

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting thing I came across. I rent my week through ABnB when I don't use it. This year I thought I would rent the lockout because we really don't need the space. I posted on ABnB. Now I see 4 other weeks posted for my time. I checked them out. They initially appear as mine does. An owner who is posting their week, even with cute profile pictures. But when I read through the postings, they all have a paragraph that states the name you rent under has to be your legal name , such as on a license or passport. And if you change the name after confirming the reservation you will be charged $99. And then at the very bottom, they all have a line stating you might be offered a timeshare seminar. All are in the exact same format. I know for a fact I don't need the legal name of anyone I rent to. I think these are Capital Vacation salespeople who want your legal name so they can do a background check on a guest before they arrive. Is that legal?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting thing I came across. I rent my week through ABnB when I don't use it. This year I thought I would rent the lockout because we really don't need the space. I posted on ABnB. Now I see 4 other weeks posted for my time. I checked them out. They initially appear as mine does. An owner who is posting their week, even with cute profile pictures. But when I read through the postings, they all have a paragraph that states the name you rent under has to be your legal name , such as on a license or passport. And if you change the name after confirming the reservation you will be charged $99. And then at the very bottom, they all have a line stating you might be offered a timeshare seminar. All are in the exact same format. I know for a fact I don't need the legal name of anyone I rent to. I think these are Capital Vacation salespeople who want your legal name so they can do a background check on a guest before they arrive. Is that legal?
You may be correct that Capital sales hyenas are behind those listings, but it’s a bit of a stretch to think that conducting a background check is the purpose of requiring a “legal name”. They may simply want to “match” names once on site (via driver’s license comparison etc.) for identity verification prior to allowing unit occupancy (and / or immersion into the sales pitch / shark tank). After all, any owner (including slimy Capital Vacations) can certainly require proper identification from transient, temporary occupants of property that they own.

To answer your question, it would indeed be “legal” for the hyenas to verify any information freely and voluntarily provided to them by their incoming prey. I would not be inclined to believe that conducting a background check is their actual intent, but there isn‘t much that I would put past Capital Vacations. 🫤

Last edited:

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I am here at HBT. Got in late at 10 pm and there was still a Capital Vacation rep waiting to give out our parking pass. I must say, she was exceptionally friendly and charming. Exact opposite of last year's rep. She delivered the best lead-into-a-sign up for a presentation I have ever heard. She said we were Special owners, (LOL) and had an extra free week. Then launched into the repairs being done to the pool, more parking spaces being made, and "alot of great changes". Wanted to know when were were there last and if we planned to come back next year, because we could have free plane fare and go anywhere we want. She also sprinkled in something about Maintenance Fees not having to be paid every year now. I didn't stop her to ask why. Then she went on about how they had bought lots of rooms, so now we could ask for any room we want. (The CV Deed Trust) I didn't bother asking who was "they" and why would I want any other room when I have a nice one. Then, she asked us if we had voted, and was very surprised I said yes. At that point I asked her who is now on the board. Not a question she was prepared to answer. She demurred and said, "Oh, they are still trying to figure that out, someone quit and you know, they haven't figured it out yet. " Then she said we could attend an update meeting and get all the good news. "I have 8:30 open." LOL. She was telling everyone she had 8:30 open. (They only have one time slot...) At that point, I said no thankyou and walked away and thought how well she had touched on all those hot sales points. She looked hurt and called after me, " Why? What didn't you like? The owner before you said the same thing!" I got to the elevator and waved at my husband to come. He was still there trying to politely say no to this charming, beautiful woman. I will ask Ms St. Lous (manager) sometime this week about the noard.