• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hollowed out rodents?

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My google searching isn't working. I've been getting hollowed out rodents in my yard. Yesterday, it was a the top half of a squirrel that had some bones, all its fur, hands and eyes and was hollowed out.

There is a crow that was putting carcasses in our backyard water bowl. We quit putting water out back for the dogs because of it. Don't fret, my dogs are inside most of the time and they have several waters inside. The crow would soak the carcasses for a while and then come back and eat them. I'm wondering if it is another crow thing, or if it could be that someone is using poison to get rid of rodents in their own yard and the animals are just dying over here.

I don't use any poisons because I have animals. I was thinking about getting a couple feral cats from the human society for rodent control, but if this sounds like poisoning, then I wouldn't get the cats because they would eat the rodents and also die.

Does anyone know what causes hollowed out rodents? We've had it happen to rats, gophers, squirrels and bunnies.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Sounds like something from a horror movie

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Rat poison doesn't do that kind of damage to the carcass - the most common rat poisons cause internal bleeding.

It's probably a crow, hawk, or other predator - they are eating the soft parts and leaving the less tasty bones, skin and fur behind.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Idle speculation here, but how about someone nearby using a poison containing Warfarin. It causes uncontrollable internal bleeding especially in capillaries. Like eyes. That might be enough to attract the crows (ravens) who (smart devils that they are) might try to rinse the poison out of the meat before they ingest it. Just a guess.

Jim

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've got nothing to add or speculate here, except to note that it would not surprise me at all if some grunge / punk rock band somewhere learned of, liked and immediately adopted this OP thread title as a band name for themselves --- Hollowed Out Rodents. :ignore:

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've got nothing to add or speculate here, except to note that it would not surprise me at all if some grunge / punk rock band somewhere learned of, liked and immediately adopted this OP thread title as a band name for themselves --- Hollowed Out Rodents. :ignore:

I agree! When I saw the title I couldn't imagine what it was about.