• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday inn vacation club owners update

bird20

Reaction score
Well, well, well... I mention in an earlier post about the two weeks I own that are now in the HIVC program, an original Ron Jon 2 BR and Studio I had to buy in order to convert my 2BR week into points.

So we just finished our 10 days at the Old Ron Jon and we did the owner update. I wanted to see if they would take my two weeks back and put me in something similar, maybe a little bigger for not too much and get me to the VIP 300,000 level.

The only thing they would consider was taking back the studio and the 49,000 points I get for that (which we normally NEVER do, but we will for you!!!) Right? and sell me 159,000 points.

Now in this transaction they would credit me back about $6,000 I paid last year and it would only cost me an additional $18,000!!!! Yes, $18,000 bucks, smacker, whatever!! I said, you have got to be kidding...

They were shocked that I am going to pass up on this deal and you don't know what you are doing!!! What's wrong with you....

Sorry, could not pull that trigger.... You will never get this many points for .13 cents again!!!!

Did I miss the boat??? Should I have bit on that deal??? Thoughts???

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
No, you did the right thing!

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted to see if they would take my two weeks back and put me in something similar, maybe a little bigger for not too much and get me to the VIP 300,000 level.

The only thing they would consider was taking back the studio and the 49,000 points I get for that (which we normally NEVER do, but we will for you!!!) Right? and sell me 159,000 points.

Now in this transaction they would credit me back about $6,000 I paid last year and it would only cost me an additional $18,000!!!! Yes, $18,000 bucks, smacker, whatever!! I said, you have got to be kidding...

How many HIVC HICV points do you now have in total?

The $6000 you paid - was that for your original ownership, or for the points conversion?

Consider why you want to get to the 300,000 points level. What benefits will mean the most to you? What do you not get now that you can get by going to this level?

The $18,000 price quoted is probably pulled out of the salesperson's "pocket." :hysterical: You know what I mean. They have quoted much higher costs to me to upgrade. I think that these sales folks just quote whatever they think you might jump at. Then they work their way down from that price. Recently they quoted me a huge amount, much more than $18,000. I posted this, but cannot recall right now. I have heard stories where the sales weasels try for $50-70,000 and sometimes they get it! Amazing to me, but many of these buyers can afford these prices, and do not do their research beforehand, or even after the sale.

Anyway, I totally agree with silentg that you did the right thing. If you are seriously considering getting to that 300,000 level, figure out why you need/want to do this. There are some TUGGERS here on this board who have a ton of HIVC points, well over 500,000. They are able to use these through IHG and get the accompanying benefits that HICV offers. But the question remains: what do you want? How will these points enhance your vacation experiences?

bird20

Reaction score
Total Points

Sandy,

I have a total of 224,000 points, 175,000 for the Ron Jon week and 49,000 for the points I bought last year for them to allow me to convert my original week to points.

At the 300,000 level there just seemed to be so many other advantages. That being said, it also seemed like reading the small print conditions, they really can handcuff you. Like some perks are only available 60 days before your stay, or 90 days and who can plan a vacation like that? They paint such a pretty picture with all the advantages. I thought I could get them to cave, but they would not budge below the .13 cents per point and it was a ONE year offer that is now gone!!! Oh boy!

We are not retired and have the flexibility to travel at a whim... I like to have things in place.

I was told anyone who sells points, they get convert back to weeks.

The goal was to get to 300,000 and try and reduce the MF's. The more I think about it, I would be better off to just pick up another week and use it as a week and use my points for the extra days.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
HI again,

Not sure how getting to 300,000 points would reduce your MF, wouldn't you just add in more money to pay? Maybe reduce your cost per point.

At 300,000 you do get a free 3 night once a year at a HIVC HICV resort. I used this recently, not a problem and a nice benefit.

Some of the other benefits you have looked at, so you can determine how they would work for you. the 60/90 day is pretty much useless unless you go last minute.

Also, check out the MaxxTime offers. Sometimes they are good. But you don't need 300,000 points to get this.

bird20

Reaction score
All good points and I will look into it.

In regards to the MF, I was try to see if HIVC would take my TWO properties and combine them and get me something with only ONE MF... that didn't work... HAHA!

johndeb

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Vacations - Club Wyndham - Inn Season Vacation Club - Bluegreen - Breakers Resort (Cape Cod) - Edgewater Beach Resort (Cape Cod)
Sandy,

I have a total of 224,000 points, 175,000 for the Ron Jon week and 49,000 for the points I bought last year for them to allow me to convert my original week to points.

At the 300,000 level there just seemed to be so many other advantages. That being said, it also seemed like reading the small print conditions, they really can handcuff you. Like some perks are only available 60 days before your stay, or 90 days and who can plan a vacation like that? They paint such a pretty picture with all the advantages. I thought I could get them to cave, but they would not budge below the .13 cents per point and it was a ONE year offer that is now gone!!! Oh boy!

We are not retired and have the flexibility to travel at a whim... I like to have things in place.

I was told anyone who sells points, they get convert back to weeks.

The goal was to get to 300,000 and try and reduce the MF's. The more I think about it, I would be better off to just pick up another week and use it as a week and use my points for the extra days.

Hi Bird,

Right now there is a 150,000 HIVC South Beach Resort Auction on ebay, the current bid is $940.00

HIVC South Beach Resort, Smoky Mountain Resort, and Lake Geneva Resort are all Points Contracts which will transfer to your existing HIVC Account as Points. No need to pay to convert a resale from these resorts.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hi Bird,

Right now there is a 150,000 HIVC South Beach Resort Auction on ebay, the current bid is $940.00

HIVC South Beach Resort, Smoky Mountain Resort, and Lake Geneva Resort are all Points Contracts which will transfer to your existing HIVC Account as Points. No need to pay to convert a resale from these resorts.

But, you still have to pay an additional Maintenence fee!

bird20

Reaction score
Points purchase?

Are they still available?

I was under the impression you can NOT transfer points in HIVC, that the deed gets convert back to property and NOT points. Is this not the case???

How do I verify?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Only specific resorts will transfer as points. These points will not count toward status. They are just usable as points at your current status.

The unit has to currently be in points before the transfer-Myrtle Beach, Gatlinburg and Lake Geneva.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
1 bedroom 3 weeks, or a 2 bedroom 2 weeks in general.
Not as much prime season, much more off season.
Myrtle beach example
1 bedroom summer season 124,000 , value season 37,000 pts (7 nights)
2 bedroom summer season 176,000, value season 53,000 pts (7 nights)
3 seasons in-between with 3 different point spreads

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I don't see a advantage to consolidate units @ HIVC. Every unit has a assessment / point value.
Knowing maintenance cost for points value of week buying is most important.

If you are a points owner, you can add points to your system as noted above buy someone else. (can change @ any time)
If you had those units in hand when you bought that studio you would probably been at your goal. Normally they try to sell you what you need to get at the 300,000 level.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
1 bedroom 3 weeks, or a 2 bedroom 2 weeks in general.
Not as much prime season, much more off season.
Myrtle beach example
1 bedroom summer season 124,000 , value season 37,000 pts (7 nights)
2 bedroom summer season 176,000, value season 53,000 pts (7 nights)
3 seasons in-between with 3 different point spreads

Thanks you for the information.

bird20

Reaction score
They actually did last year try and sell me enough points to get to the 300,000 level for another $7 or $8,000 on top what I had to buy to convert my current 2BR to points.

If I didn't buy "IN" to the system, they were not going to convert my week because I bought it re-sale before they took over the Ron Jon.

On the other hand, from what I have been told, YOU CANNOT PURCHASE HIVC POINTS RESALE AND ADD THEM TO YOUR ACCOUNT... If this is wrong, someone please correct me and tell me how. The sales manager said, ANY week bought on the resale market as points, gets converted back to a week...

I was also warned by a resale company that was selling weeks on EBAY the same thing, he said if you see anyone selling points, be very weary...

johndeb

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Vacations - Club Wyndham - Inn Season Vacation Club - Bluegreen - Breakers Resort (Cape Cod) - Edgewater Beach Resort (Cape Cod)
They actually did last year try and sell me enough points to get to the 300,000 level for another $7 or $8,000 on top what I had to buy to convert my current 2BR to points.

If I didn't buy "IN" to the system, they were not going to convert my week because I bought it re-sale before they took over the Ron Jon.

On the other hand, from what I have been told, YOU CANNOT PURCHASE HIVC POINTS RESALE AND ADD THEM TO YOUR ACCOUNT... If this is wrong, someone please correct me and tell me how. The sales manager said, ANY week bought on the resale market as points, gets converted back to a week...

I was also warned by a resale company that was selling weeks on EBAY the same thing, he said if you see anyone selling points, be very weary...

If you have an existing HIVC Account and buy a resale contract from South Beach Resort (Myrtle Beach), Smoky Mountain (Gatlinburg), or Lake Geneva (Wisconsin), these will transfer and be added to your Points Account. I don't think the resale Points are counted towards your membership level, but there are exceptions made if/when you upgrade something through HIVC. Also, who knows if/when this could change? I've been told a few times during an upgrade negotiation that "This is the last time you will be able to bring-in a resale contract" yet I was able to add another one recently.

bird20

Reaction score
Interesting, so I can buy points from one of those properties, but if they do not count to my goal of 300,000 then that doesn't help me and only straps me with another MF...

Thanks for the info.

johndeb

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting, so I can buy points from one of those properties, but if they do not count to my goal of 300,000 then that doesn't help me and only straps me with another MF...

Thanks for the info.

Well, that depends if your goal to have 300,000 Points solely to achieve the "Preferred" Membership level or if you really need 300,000 Points to get the amount of vacation time you want? Either upgrading through HIVC or buying resale HIVC Points contracts, you're going to have additional maintenance fees.

If you just want additional HIVC Vacations without any financial commitment, just contact me and I'll provide you with a rental at a lower cost than an additional maintenance fee.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just thought of something that is confusing:

If you are able to buy resale points at one of the resorts mentioned, and those points go into your HIVC HICV account, what is the difference if it does not count towards the next level. How can these new points NOT count to increase the points in your account? Does HIVC just give you another account with the resale points?

For example, if one gets to 300,000+ points, they still have use of these points through their account, right? How does HIVC exclude a person from the level benefits. I haven't heard of this limitation on TUG before. I have heard of some folks not getting points to begin with because they bought at a resort that does not transfer points. But if they buy from one of the resorts mentioned, don't these go into the person's account?

Would such a person have the ability to reserve and trade their points, but not get the free 3 night per year? Or not get the free upgrade once per year? Or whatever level benefits there are at that level. Would they only continue to receive the level benefits that existed at their prior membership, even though they are paying additional MFs. Is this what they mean when they say you can add the points, but not get the membership level?

thanks

Last edited:

johndeb

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just thought of something that is confusing:

If you are able to buy resale points at one of the resorts mentioned, and those points go into your HIVC HICV account, what is the difference if it does not count towards the next level. How can these new points NOT count to increase the points in your account? Does HIVC just give you another account with the resale points?

For example, if one gets to 300,000+ points, they still have use of these points through their account, right? How does HIVC exclude a person from the level benefits. I haven't heard of this limitation on TUG before. I have heard of some folks not getting points to begin with because they bought at a resort that does not transfer points. But if they buy from one of the resorts mentioned, don't these go into the person's account?

Would such a person have the ability to reserve and trade their points, but not get the free 3 night per year? Or not get the free upgrade once per year? Or whatever level benefits there are at that level. Would they only continue to receive the level benefits that existed at their prior membership, even though they are paying additional MFs. Is this what they mean when they say you can add the points, but not get the membership level?

thanks

Sandy,

You are correct. In fact I have bought resale Points Contracts that are included in my membership status. However, I am reluctant to advise another TUG member on this issue because HIVC can always restrict/change/prohibit these resales from being included. I would never want to be responsible for providing another Tugger with information that might not be a 100% reliable. I have been told a few times during upgrade meetings that HIVC is not going to continue to allow resales to be included. I have not had any resales excluded from counting toward my membership level. In my opinion, HIVC reserves the right to impose limitations on how resales are treated on an individual basis.

John

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that makes sense. I couldn't figure out how they might limit ones ability to reserve using their points, or to require an additional account.

But, they certainly can change the rules any time that they want. We have all seen how this is done through the years with various resorts.

johndeb

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, that makes sense. I couldn't figure out how they might limit ones ability to reserve using their points, or to require an additional account.

But, they certainly can change the rules any time that they want. We have all seen how this is done through the years with various resorts.

HIVC has complete knowledge of any resale contracts in your Account. They have "Right of First Refusal" before any ownership is Transferred. So, whatever you own from a resale shows up in your Account as a resale. It would very simple for HIVC to identify and exclude resale points from counting toward your membership level. This would not require a separate Account or any restriction on using your resale points, the resale points could be simply not included towards your membership benefits level. In my experience, HIVC has not excluded resale points from counting toward your membership level. But there is no guarantee they will continue this practice. To be clear, I would NOT anticipate HIVC to take away the membership benefit achieved through the purchase of resale contracts in the past. However, they could very well exclude future resale purchases. Also, depending on each situation involved, they could decide to allow resales on a case by case basis. It's not spelled out anywhere in any HIVC Documents that I have read, so I always discuss my intentions with HIVC in advance and prior to making a resale purchase.

bird20

Reaction score
Thanks for the info... it sounds like a gamble to purchase a resort with points and whether or not they will allow them to count in my account towards the "Preferred" level.

Also, by buying another resort with points, there is another maint. fee.

I think you are right, it would be easier to just rent another week and we would be done with it, or use EXTRA weeks through RCI....

I think I have convinced myself to give up the quest for 300,000 level and just stay with what I have. It is working so far and we really don't have the time to vacation too much more at this time anyway... We were thinking about in a few more years and trying to get our self's set up for then.