• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

hilton rofr (march 2009 thread)

Bill4728

Reaction score
I guess, we cant use ebay as a pricing point.
The pricing on HGVC on ebay is subject to Hilton's ROFR (all but the HGVC at the Flamingo which doesn't have ROFR). So as a buyer, you have no idea of what purchase price it will take to get pass Hilton's ROFR. Therefore the ebay prices for HGVC are of very little relevance.

gshipley

TUG Member
Reaction score
The pricing on HGVC on ebay is subject to Hilton's ROFR (all but the HGVC at the Flamingo which doesn't have ROFR). So as a buyer, you have no idea of what purchase price it will take to get pass Hilton's ROFR. Therefore the ebay prices for HGVC are of very little relevance.

I would also think that prices on ebay are lower because a lot of people don't trust buying things on ebay. I personally only buy and sell timeshares (or any property) through licensed agents. I just feel more secure in the purchase this way and am willing to pay a few extra dollars for the peace of mind.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
EBAY price is what the seller gets no matter ROFR or not

Not really as those are the prices the seller gets regardless of who ends up with the week (the legitimate 3rd party buyer or the ROFR stolen by the developer). Plus most groups - HGVC sees to be in with the them - aren't actively exercising ROFR now anyway as existing inventories are too large and available cash for developers too small for them to do it. While I would avoid any property that has ROFR if you MUST buy one now is probably the best time.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Not really as those are the prices the seller gets regardless of who ends up with the week (the legitimate 3rd party buyer or the ROFR stolen by the developer). Plus most groups - HGVC sees to be in with the them - aren't actively exercising ROFR now anyway as existing inventories are too large and available cash for developers too small for them to do it. While I would avoid any property that has ROFR if you MUST buy one now is probably the best time.
For the seller, ROFR doesn't help you get a better price, but as a buyer, seeing low prices on Ebay, doesn't tell you if those prices are getting thru ROFR. So when you see a platinum 7000 pt HGVC in LV sell for $9,300, you have no idea if you can actually buy & close on that TS at that price. Seth has said that most HGVC -LV TS are not passing ROFR until they are above $11,000. So recent Ebay prices are not relevant to any buyer looking to buy a HGVC in LV.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also think that prices on ebay are lower because a lot of people don't trust buying things on ebay. I personally only buy and sell timeshares (or any property) through licensed agents. I just feel more secure in the purchase this way and am willing to pay a few extra dollars for the peace of mind.

If you look at ebay auctions 9 out of 10 are by Judy from remax anyways......

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Ebay sold for 9120 so I guess that is what it is worth in today's market maybe a little more or less.

It was sold by a company that I don't believe is licensed, closing without a title search and may not give the buyer clean title. This is probably why it sold so inexpensively.

logan115

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a buyer, is there anything you lose other than time if a contract you bid on has ROFR exercised ?

Thanks,

Chris

Bill4728

Reaction score
As a buyer, is there anything you lose other than time if a contract you bid on has ROFR exercised ?

Thanks,

Chris
You lose nothing except your time. You should get all your money back after HGVC takes the unit. ( but it may take some time for this to happen)

PLEASE NOTE: HGVC is still using their ROFR. They may not use it all the time or at the same price point they did when this thread was started. BUT they are still using it.

logan115

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks (again) Bill -

Was looking at the HGVC stickies and found this thread - didn't realize until just now that this thread was from March 2009 and not March 2010.

Suppose I really need to start getting used to looking a bit closer at all the details if I'm even thinking about buying a 2nd TS :D

Chris

logan115

TUG Member
Reaction score
You lose nothing except your time. You should get all your money back after HGVC takes the unit. ( but it may take some time for this to happen)

PLEASE NOTE: HGVC is still using their ROFR. They may not use it all the time or at the same price point they did when this thread was started. BUT they are still using it.

Sorry to keep bumping an old thread but had another HGVC ROFR question.

Above Bill mentioned that you "should" get your money back if HGVC uses ROFR - do you have to transfer over the total amount prior to finding out if you passed ROFR or not ? Not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure when we bought DVC last year that we sent a deposit to our broker (to go into escrow), but didn't send the balance until we got word that we passed.

So with HGVC, if I purchase a contract for $5K do I need to send that money *somewhere* before I even find out about ROFR ?

Thanks,

Chris

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Sorry to keep bumping an old thread but had another HGVC ROFR question.

Above Bill mentioned that you "should" get your money back if HGVC uses ROFR - do you have to transfer over the total amount prior to finding out if you passed ROFR or not ? Not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure when we bought DVC last year that we sent a deposit to our broker (to go into escrow), but didn't send the balance until we got word that we passed.

So with HGVC, if I purchase a contract for $5K do I need to send that money *somewhere* before I even find out about ROFR ?
If you use a reputable broker, you should only need the deposit (that is how our was handled). In any case, make sure they are using a good escrow service. That way, there will be no problem.

Kurt

logan115

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you use a reputable broker, you should only need the deposit (that is how our was handled). In any case, make sure they are using a good escrow service. That way, there will be no problem.

Kurt

Thanks (again) Kurt -

Didn't think that you had to send in all of the funds prior to getting the word on ROFR but wanted to make sure.

Chris

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a Hilton through ebay and I had no choice with the closing company. They insisted on all the money at once before they would proceed with the application for ROFR. I paid them using a credit card, thinking that I would have some recourse if things went wrong.
I am still not done so I cannot tell you that all went well but not all closing companies will agree to proceed with just a deposit.

logan115

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a Hilton through ebay and I had no choice with the closing company. They insisted on all the money at once before they would proceed with the application for ROFR. I paid them using a credit card, thinking that I would have some recourse if things went wrong.
I am still not done so I cannot tell you that all went well but not all closing companies will agree to proceed with just a deposit.

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't think about putting it on a CC as that wasn't an option when I bought DVC through a broker. Suppose I can at least get the 1% back throwing it on my Costco Amex - unless I can get it classified as a vacation/travel expense and get 2% :hysterical:

Chris

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the heads up. Didn't think about putting it on a CC as that wasn't an option when I bought DVC through a broker. Suppose I can at least get the 1% back throwing it on my Costco Amex - unless I can get it classified as a vacation/travel expense and get 2% :hysterical:
When I purchased my HGVC resale through Seth, he used HGVC's closing company. I had the Hilton HHonors Amex and charged the full amount (a good chunk of change) on the card. Because the charge came through as a "Hilton" charge, I got the full 5 HHonors points per dollar -- the same that you get when charging Hilton hotel expenses on your card! Normally, you only get 3 pts/$.

When we used those points toward a VIP award stay, I calculated that the HHonors points we received from the HGVC resale purchase were worth about $1,700! (hotel in Venice, Italy) :cheer: Now that was a great deal! :whoopie:

We used to get the 5 pts/$ for paying maintenance fees as well, but they stopped do that a little over a year ago, I believe.

Kurt

logan115

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I purchased my HGVC resale through Seth, he used HGVC's closing company. I had the Hilton HHonors Amex and charged the full amount (a good chunk of change) on the card. Because the charge came through as a "Hilton" charge, I got the full 5 HHonors points per dollar -- the same that you get when charging Hilton hotel expenses on your card! Normally, you only get 3 pts/$.

When we used those points toward a VIP award stay, I calculated that the HHonors points we received from the HGVC resale purchase were worth about $1,700! (hotel in Venice, Italy) :cheer: Now that was a great deal! :whoopie:

We used to get the 5 pts/$ for paying maintenance fees as well, but they stopped do that a little over a year ago, I believe.

Kurt

How many HGVC points did you buy ????????? That sounds crazy !!

Chris

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How many HGVC points did you buy ????????? That sounds crazy !!
We bought 8400 points (3BR Plat) a few years ago. By the time closing costs were added in, it netted us 80K+ HHonors points through the Amex purchase. We used those with a VIP code (back before the reward levels went up) for a $600+ / night hotel in Venice (terrible exchange rate, expensive hotel). The 80K+ HHonors points were worth in the range of $1700 for that transaction.

If used for the very expensive hotels (usually in Europe), HHonors points can be worth quite a bit. Another reason I really like Hilton.

Kurt

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought 8400 points (3BR Plat) a few years ago. By the time closing costs were added in, it netted us 80K+ HHonors points through the Amex purchase. We used those with a VIP code (back before the reward levels went up) for a $600+ / night hotel in Venice (terrible exchange rate, expensive hotel). The 80K+ HHonors points were worth in the range of $1700 for that transaction.

If used for the very expensive hotels (usually in Europe), HHonors points can be worth quite a bit. Another reason I really like Hilton.

Kurt

Hmmm...now you've got me reconsidering. I just gave HGVC a credit card to pay off the balance on a deal. I gave my Starwood Amex to get those points. I hadn't thought about the HGVC purchase coming through as "Hilton," and it may make sense to give the HH Visa instead :)

Cheers.

mleonhardt

Reaction score
I noticed at the presentation at the LV strip the sales folks were offering up lots of old properties that Hilton must be buying up. What are the ROFR threshold at Sea world and some other properties such as lagoon tower