• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton HGVC VIP purchase program

drnd

Reaction score
Hello member,

Just attended a Hilton Tineshare presentation and walk away without buying. However we did purchase a VIP program for $1695 for 11,520 points to use within 18 months. Have any one here purchased this? Is it worth it? A similar unit rents for $3600 so we thought it was worth it. Please help. We can rescind within 7 days

Thanks,

Nick.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Welcome to TUG. Yes we have bought several. Depends on where you want to go. We always bought with a specific purpose in mind.

Hawaii and NYC are valuable. Florida or Vegas not so much. If you are planning the latter then compare with renting on redweek for the week or a hotel. Price may be commensurate. You will be required to attend another presentation. I was unaware that there was a rescission period for these packages since they are not a deed sale.

Good luck!

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Check the details of the program. You might find that renting is prohibited.

WIHuck

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a good test run to see if you like the nicer accommodations. The up side for them is they get another shot at you during another presentation.

Yzfguy06

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Crane, Borgo alle Vigne x2
I’ve only been an owner since may so I’m still figuring some of this stuff out. Buying the VIP is that like bonus points? Basically?

quhines

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview (RCI Points)
Vacation Village @Weston (RCI Points)
HGVC Tuscany
I have a VIP Package as well. I took this as an opportunity to test drive HGVC and see if I like the system. We currently have RCI points, so we have stayed at a couple of Hilton properties and we have enjoyed them. I just wish that with the VIP Package, they would give you club access via the portal, and not where you have call in to check availability and confirm your reservation. This way you would get a true look and feel as to what a HGVC membership is all about.

FunnyFarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point @ Poipu, Lawai Beach Resort, MROP/VRI, Worldmark
If it goes like my DRI sampler package, you get leftover time. Cannot visit the same place twice. Must attend a presentation at each visit. I was put in a local Hampton and Homewood near the actual resort. Left many points unused due to poor availability. Lots of hidden rules.
I doubt you can rescind so enjoy and book early.

RX8

Timeshare Scam Investigator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
It could be a good value, or may not. The resort availability is not the same that you may find in the HGVC portal. It is a different pool of resorts for VIP and are much more limited than HGVC. You may have a resort in mind, and call 9 months out, and there may be no availability even though it is wide open in the HGVC portal. Another possibility is that if there are no two bedrooms available, and you take a one bedroom instead, you are not getting full value since you may be using much less points than the 11,200 points you are allotted (you get no credit for that). Unfortunately , you may not find out that you can’t get what you want until you are well past the 7 days rescission period.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
FWIW I've never had issues with availability if I call a few months early. New York is a particularly good value because you can book 9 months in advance whereas if you book via HGVC club points the res window only opens at 60 - 75 days.

You can also split the reservations 4 and 3 days in most resorts except NYC which only offers 5 days. They will not require a second presentation for the second stay.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have a lot of flexibility with dates? By that I mean no kids in school. And assuming you have access to all the HGVC resorts then yes that’s a good deal. As mentioned, I would use it for Hawaii or New York to get the biggest bang for your buck. Work backward. Pick a location and have them tell you dates available. Note that different towers Hawaii require different number of points.

Reaction score
I just purchased the VIP program and put it on the payment plan to be paid off in 11 months. I have 11,520 points. Do I have to complete the payment plan before I am able to book a trip?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, hivc
We got the vip package on a stay in Orlando and used it to go to Hawaii. We had a great sales experience in Orlando, even after saying no to their offers.

We stayed at King’s Land on the big island and loved it. The main pool was amazing!!! We also had access to the amenities at the Hilton Waikoloa village just up the street.

We did have to go on a tour at the Ocean Tower, which was supposed to be 90 minutes, but it lasted 3 hours and the tour guide was all chill until we said, “no” too many times. Then he went on total jerk mode, especially when we mentioned resale.

Enjoy the VIP package like we did, but be wary of the sales experience. Hilton has nice properties but we learned to buy resale from here, if we ever wanted to buy in.

jtchan83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just came back from a VIP package...Offer was conservative, EOY for $14K 1 BR Ocean Tower..Dues were $1400 EOY as well...It was tempting but 1) we really prefer Maui 2) we didn't want another program to manage 3) we are westin owners and while the ability to book discounted hotels in the hilton system is tempting, that price tag is just a bit too steep for that benefit.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Offer was conservative, EOY for $14K 1 BR Ocean Tower..Dues were $1400 EOY as well
The was a terrible deed with too few points. It would have been hard to give away later. Congratulations on missing that bullet. If you refer Maui then purchase Maui but resale.

while the ability to book discounted hotels in the hilton system is tempting,
I would never suggest anyone purchase a TS for any “side benefit” besides the main TS. I use free Hilton hotel stays via a CC paying MFs each year. Much better.

Kaneo'pohaku

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara
Will these vip points go into the same "bucket" as our yearly points?

Meaning since I have 13440 points yearly and buy a vip of 11200, will I have 24640 points to use from?

Seems that could make sense on a big, expensive trip to potentially save some money if the vip package isn't too much cost wise

RX8

Timeshare Scam Investigator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

Meaning since I have 13440 points yearly and buy a vip of 11200, will I have 24640 points to use from?

Seems that could make sense on a big, expensive trip to potentially save some money if the vip package isn't too much cost wise
The VIP is a separate use of points so they will not be combined. These VIP points are good only at select resorts, can only be utilized as a full week (or you may split into two separate reservations of four nights and three nights), has limited availability (is separate from regular HGV inventory), and is not guaranteed for the full use of 11,200 points. For example on the last point, if you can only find availability for a one bedroom in gold season that costs 5,440 points, you don’t get credit for the unused 5,760 points. You essentially purchased 5,440 points for the full VIP cost (which is $1695 credit card or $1795 financed).

jfleck2020

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Crane - Barbados
FWIW I've never had issues with availability if I call a few months early. New York is a particularly good value because you can book 9 months in advance whereas if you book via HGVC club points the res window only opens at 60 - 75 days.

You can also split the reservations 4 and 3 days in most resorts except NYC which only offers 5 days. They will not require a second presentation for the second stay.
Just to clarify, NYC does not require a 5 day stay but you are limited to a maximum of 5 days in NY. If you do use 5 days in NY then you would not be able to use any remaining points as you are required to have a minimum of 3 nights at a time and you can only book a total of 7 nights with the package regardless of how many points you have left.

jfleck2020

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Crane - Barbados
We purchased a VIP package and currently have a reservation scheduled for labor day weekend in NY. I am going to try to book our remaining three days in Hawaii and hope to add to that stay with extra days from our regular points. If that works out then I feel like we got a good value out of the package. Just the 4 nights in NY for $1695 is about what a nice hotel would cost up there anyway.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We purchased a VIP package and currently have a reservation scheduled for labor day weekend in NY. I am going to try to book our remaining three days in Hawaii and hope to add to that stay with extra days from our regular points. If that works out then I feel like we got a good value out of the package. Just the 4 nights in NY for $1695 is about what a nice hotel would cost up there anyway.

Just know the additional days will be a separate reservation with your regular points, so book the same room type and request they combine to keep you in the same unit. If not you might be homeless from 10am to 4pm (they will move your refrigerator goods).

What I usually do when extending stays is burn some points and overlap the reservation so I can move units at my leisure. I've booked Bay Club using my points in RCI, then moved to Kingsland overlapped with my regular points.

I've also booked open season while I was on site to have an additional unit when family visited.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The VIP is a separate use of points so they will not be combined. These VIP points are good only at select resorts, can only be utilized as a full week (or you may split into two separate reservations of four nights and three nights), has limited availability (is separate from regular HGV inventory), and is not guaranteed for the full use of 11,200 points. For example on the last point, if you can only find availability for a one bedroom in gold season that costs 5,440 points, you don’t get credit for the unused 5,760 points. You essentially purchased 5,440 points for the full VIP cost (which is $1695 credit card or $1795 financed).
Excellent information.

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
For us, VIP is an entry test for HGVC. It was a gateway drug. Beware.

We took the low-cost weekend to Elara, but already were on TUG and knew the cost savings of Resale and mostly what we thought we wanted. That say convinced us we liked the HGVC product quality, but availability was a concern.

We justified the VIP as a test of availability and how it could work for us. It was not a perfect test. You can't see the full inventory, Open Season, RCI Options, Last Call, etc. but it got us comfortable booking 9 months out.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club

We are Using the VIP package then added a reservation from our HGVC to make the trip longer.

tourproto

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana WKV Plat+
HGVC Flamingo
This is correct. We did this prior to buying off of secondary market in LV. We used our points for 3 days in DC and 4 days in NYC (W57th property). It was totally worth it to see what other HGVC properties are like.

Was going to buy in NYC, but learned from TUG that you really can't "rent" out your timeshare weeks like you can with Vistana (now Marriott). So we are just keeping our 1 timeshare in LV until we retire and then we will probably buy 2 in NYC.