• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

High Pressure sales tactics during Sedona Pines Tour - sound familiar?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

mblosser

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pretty Flimsy Investigative Journalism

Not impressed with this work at all. I'd like to know just exactly how the buyer ended up signing onto a contract when he says over and over how he could not afford the purchase price or the annual fees. Just who forced him to sign all the papers? And how is it he did not rescind in a timely fashion? He thought the TV station could do what the law doesn't allow?

And the journalist could surely have done a whole lot more to tease out what the Resort does that could be deemed shady, abusive or illegal, and then detailed that advice for consumers to know (and avoid).

And my 2 cents. Stupid people should not be allowed on timeshare tours. It never turns out well. Post a modified amusement park sign: If You Are Not Over 90 IQ, You May Not Go On This Ride!" :whoopie:

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I had a $9800 per year pension I wouldn't be buying anything with a contract!!! I don't buy anything with a contract without reading it at least twice.

80 years old and a newlywed.... Now that is soooooooo cute!

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not impressed with this work at all. I'd like to know just exactly how the buyer ended up signing onto a contract when he says over and over how he could not afford the purchase price or the annual fees. Just who forced him to sign all the papers? And how is it he did not rescind in a timely fashion? He thought the TV station could do what the law doesn't allow?

And the journalist could surely have done a whole lot more to tease out what the Resort does that could be deemed shady, abusive or illegal, and then detailed that advice for consumers to know (and avoid).

And my 2 cents. Stupid people should not be allowed on timeshare tours. It never turns out well. Post a modified amusement park sign: If You Are Not Over 90 IQ, You May Not Go On This Ride!" :whoopie:

Unfortunately, it is not as much about IQ as emotions. My sister in law has a high IQ and bought a floating week from the developer and recently upgraded to points. We tried to introduce her to TUG years ago but she never took the time. Now she is facing a huge assessment. She owns at Poipu Point, a DRI resort. Don't assume all TS buyers are stupid. Ignorant maybe, letting emotion guide them. We fell for it also once, but rescinded in time. If we had not rescinded, we would be facing a big assessment also.

Reaction score
The last line of the story says what is true: 7 day rescission period, and he did not do it. And he's out $8000. One thing about uneducated (don't know) people who go to these tours: they don't READ THE PAPERWORK. In this case, if this guy had sat down and read the paperwork, they would've seen the 7 days to rescind, they could've sent it in, and walked away. So, I would say it is 50/50 fault. MAYBE the resort could've been more forthcoming about the rescission, but it is also their fault for not reading how to get out of it.

TS

Brerrabbit

Reaction score
Possible solution

What the guy ought to do is just not pay them the $8,000. What are they going to do, sue him? Did it say which state he lived in? At his age he is probably not worried too much about his credit rating.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our Marriott story-surprise ending

We went to the Poiints presentation yesterday at Marriott Shadowridge. My DH will be 80 in May. The minimal 'cost' for us exceeded $10,000. The salesman worked very hard to demonstrate the advantages and at the end I said with seven different timeshares we own, there is not a big advantage to joining.

His comment "I agree".:eek: So thumbs up for Marriott!!!