• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Purchase Opportunity - Deal or No Deal?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I did similar for Eagles Nest in Marco island. It’s a hard to get location-high demand/low supply. I pay higher annual fees ($1450) for the hgvc points I’d get if I decide to book elsewhere at 9 months. We go to Marco 2 out of 3 years. No regrets paying more to have easy access to the reservation at home resort at 12 months out.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
M
I did similar for Eagles Nest in Marco island. It’s a hard to get location-high demand/low supply. I pay higher annual fees ($1450) for the hgvc points I’d get if I decide to book elsewhere at 9 months. We go to Marco 2 out of 3 years. No regrets paying more to have easy access to the reservation at home resort at 12 months out.
Marco is different though since many owners don't join HGV so their weeks are never available in HGV so availability is less than many others.

If you want to consistently go to Marco, it is best to own there.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
So, are you saying that it's going to be very difficult to get a reservation to Kalia 12 months out? If yes, then I may need to potentially lose my deposit and back out.

No, quite the opposite, by owning there you will have the advantage of being able to book 12 months down to 9 months (Home preference) before the rest of us can make a reservation, as long as you pick the unit type you own for a full week in the season you own. I linked the message so you can see how many units there are, only 6 floors are timeshare units at Kalia, the rest are hotel rooms.

It looks like you are purchasing a one bedroom plus unit in platinum season, so these weeks will be your home reservation advantage. If you want a studio, you will have to compete with everyone else at 9 months club window.

1710449545664.png

rmitch64

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that we have owned for over 20 years and we stay all over, not the same place. I have never had a problem booking at 9 months... Even the hardest places in some of the busiest times.
Good to know. Thank you for your advice and insight. Greatly appreciated!

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think you think you are making a key distinction, but read what the 2 people you're talking to already wrote. For what I want, what is the distinction?
Just giving them facts on the use. Then they can weigh the options. They need to understand how homeweek actually works. If you own a week with a Saturday check in, then that is that only day you can check in when using homeweek. You can only use the unit type that you bought and it has to be 7 nights. No changes allowed. If you want to do anything else, like check in on a Friday, stay 8 nights, use a different size unit, or go in a different season, then you can't use HW and why many people don't use their HW. When you want something else, then you have to book in the 9 month window like everyone else and many of them will be paying less for the same stay ... Because they bought lower MF/pt.

I guess some of us would rather not donate money to HGV.

rmitch64

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will get a better response if posted in the Hilton subforum,

First of all - BUY it as this is a good deal based on you desire to go to this location yearly.

I assume you are buying resale from a reputable reseller like Judi Kozlowski (Re/Max in Orlando) and this is a Platinum week 1 bedroom plus. This is important as I only trust Judi as the best HGVC broker. In fact, call here right now even if she is not the seller as she may get a similar deal and she is 100% trustworthy.

Also, you the 1 bedroom plus is much better than a studio or basic 1 bedroom

Finally, home week means you book the full week one year in advance with $0 fees vs booking later and paying a $69 or so fee
It's funny, as I was already working with Judi's firm before you mentioned her in this post. I had heard about her many years ago. So, was nice to get a vote of confidence on Judi.

rmitch64

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought the same deed last summer for $2000. I didn't get ROFRed, so $3000 should fly through

I think I see what you're saying. Once you're a member see what is out there and then decide. Good plan; however, dayooper correctly points out a little twist about a Home Wk reservation tying up (using) pts differently than std Club bookings do. So, once you make a home week res, the inventory they show you as "bookable" may diminish? Or they still show you everything, assuming you'll borrow? I don't remember. Maybe a more expert vet knows otoh. But keep that in mind and if possible delay the Home Wk res til you've searched enough to decide.
So, the availability they show is based on the number of points one has.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
So, the availability they show is based on the number of points one has.
No, that is not correct. You can always see everything that is available in the date window you are allowed to book.

rmitch64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just giving them facts on the use. Then they can weigh the options. They need to understand how homeweek actually works. If you own a week with a Saturday check in, then that is that only day you can check in when using homeweek. You can only use the unit type that you bought and it has to be 7 nights. No changes allowed. If you want to do anything else, like check in on a Friday, stay 8 nights, use a different size unit, or go in a different season, then you can't use HW and why many people don't use their HW. When you want something else, then you have to book in the 9 month window like everyone else and many of them will be paying less for the same stay ... Because they bought lower MF/pt.

I guess some of us would rather not donate money to HGV.
I appreciate your perspective. I have struggled with the decision as to whether to go with the home week where we want to stay the most or something with potentially lower cost/MFs as with the LV properties. We go to Hawaii every year and usually stay at HHV, so that seemed like a no-brainer for us. We want to be virtually guaranteed that we get in. We have stayed in that tower many times as hotel guests and we enjoy the location and amenities (pool, spa, fitness center, etc.) My thought was to then buy a lower-cost contract like Elara to get more points for use in the 9-month or less window. Do those facts make my strategy more sensible or understandable?

rmitch64

TUG Member
Reaction score
just FYI, HGVC has a Black Friday sale, so in Nov you can use LV pts to get great deals (thru mid or end of March prob) on some HI locations. Not all. Not Kalia last Black Friday. But some in both Oahu & Big Isle. That is how I used my 2024 LV pts and prob how I use them again next yr.
Great to know. Were you less specific in your selection of a LV property? Not sure where to look for the best LV deals. We do visit LV at times, so I was thinking the Elara looked to be one of the better locations. Should I even worry about Gold vs Platinum? Just look for low cost/mf and greatest number of points? I guess what I am asking is how did you decide?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your perspective. I have struggled with the decision as to whether to go with the home week where we want to stay the most or something with potentially lower cost/MFs as with the LV properties. We go to Hawaii every year and usually stay at HHV, so that seemed like a no-brainer for us. We want to be virtually guaranteed that we get in. We have stayed in that tower many times as hotel guests and we enjoy the location and amenities (pool, spa, fitness center, etc.) My thought was to then buy a lower-cost contract like Elara to get more points for use in the 9-month or less window. Do those facts make my strategy more sensible or understandable?

This does help. When do you typically go? And for how long? Lagoon Tower is also very nice and similar point structure to Kalia as these are on the lower end. If that would also work, it increases your available inventory and would make 9 months that much easier.

Cheers.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
great. I'll learn something. If I or rmitch go on the site right when the window opens for the specific date that I want, how is it that we won't get a room of the type we own for that check-in date?
There are more platinum season owners for any given unit type than are available each given week. There are 40 platinum weeks and let's say there are 10 units of the specific type you own. That means there are 400 owners competing for the 10 units any given week so that is why you are not guaranteed a specific week. You are guaranteed one of the 40 weeks though.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That would help lower the average MF/pt cost. There are only a few places that I would think about buying for HW and it be because I would use it every year for a long time, like Valdoro with a fixed week during ski season or fixed week for Christmas in Hawaii. Other than that, I focus on cost. Total purchase price (purchase price + closing costs)/MF and MF/pt. Our latest ones were 0.24 cost/ pt and 0.10 MF/pt. When you look at MF/pt, you can compare between potential deeds and decide how much more you are willing to pay..... Forever.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
more platinum season owners for any given unit type than are available each given week. There are 40 platinum week
Yes. Woops. Silly me. Thanks. I just got back from a run. I realized this while running. "X" weeks. "N" units. N x X x %NotYetSold owners. So if everyone rushes for the same week, most don't get in. I always think better while running or cycling. Esp better than right after the stock mkt closed on a day I had to deal with rolling over a few calls.

So rmitch, when brp said "the week you want", that is it. "X" weeks and people have to spread out over "X" weeks, other than slack caused by %NotYetSold, (or whatever inventory HGVC may hold for other reason?) So, if you want a holiday week, be there on your page right at midnight EST or 9 pm Pac Time.

and the issue is worse in HI since there are only 10 or so non-Plat wks, 42 wks worth of people could rush the turnstile at once

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
availability they show is based on the number of points one has.

availability they show is based on the number of points one has
No, Availability is based on vacancy, then stuff that requires more pts than you have is greyed out, iirc. stuff you could book (sufficient pts) pops up the # required when you "scroll" over it. it is a visual thing :confused:

Last edited:

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
If you want a studio, you will have to compete with everyone else at 9 months club window.
yeah, I can see that being the mad rush. I don't know if I'll ever try it. I know "we" won't. If I were ever to do it, it'd have to be spur of the moment "nobody else wants to go but I'm getting out of dodge" ... but then that wouldn't be anywhere near 9 mos, so ... not likely to happen

rmitch64

TUG Member
Reaction score
This does help. When do you typically go? And for how long? Lagoon Tower is also very nice and similar point structure to Kalia as these are on the lower end. If that would also work, it increases your available inventory and would make 9 months that much easier.

Cheers.
We are scheduled to go this year toward the end of July. We typically go during Spring Break or Summer right now. We usually go for 8-10 nights, but we do like to split up the stay. In the past, we would go HHV for 5 nights and then another property (often non-Hilton) for 3-5 nights. I have good status with Hilton and Marriott, so we usually receive upgrades at any of their properties. So, I'm not too worried about the difference in accommodations. We can adjust nights before or after with little problem.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
want to be virtually guaranteed that we get in. We have stayed in that tower many times as hotel guests and we enjoy the location and amenities (pool, spa, fitness center
Basically same as me. Minimal effort. I'm in. and from your OP, I had an idea maybe the fitness center was one of your priorities. LOL. Me too. I tell people that about where I stay on VACATION and they look at me like I'm crazy. I remember the first time I heard that the only FC in HHV was in Kalia. I thought "that can't be right". I asked a few people, both people who own there and employees. Nobody knew the answer! that'll tell you how many people prioritize being in the same tower as the FC

rmitch64

TUG Member
Reaction score
That would help lower the average MF/pt cost. There are only a few places that I would think about buying for HW and it be because I would use it every year for a long time, like Valdoro with a fixed week during ski season or fixed week for Christmas in Hawaii. Other than that, I focus on cost. Total purchase price (purchase price + closing costs)/MF and MF/pt. Our latest ones were 0.24 cost/ pt and 0.10 MF/pt. When you look at MF/pt, you can compare between potential deeds and decide how much more you are willing to pay..... Forever.
Because you are usually booking at 9 months or less, I assume you don't care about the resort, room type, or season. It really comes down to the math on cost per point and MF per point. What should my max be for cost per point to know that I am getting a good deal? Is your .24 a good standard for the purchase price? Same question for MF/P. Is .1 a good standard?

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
LV at times, so I was thinking the Elara looked to be one of the better locations. Should I even worry about Gold vs Platinum? Just look for low cost/mf and greatest number of points? I guess what I am asking is how did you decide?
I expect to never visit LV with HGVC pts, maybe never again visit LV, but def not with HGVC pts. I didn't highly optimize it but still got a v good deal. You should prob go Plat. I bought Gold for a reason somewhat unique to me. My wife initially laughed at the idea of buying a TS, never mind 2 or 3 TSs. So, I sat on it awhile and realized the way to make her happy and still get what I wanted and what worked well was to minimize breakeven years on the initial cost instead of maximizing ROI over many years.
She doesn't believe we will still be using it in 12 yrs, never mind 20. So, you can pay more upfront for lower MFs/Pt and get > ROI or pay less (same resort, same room, but Gold) and get lower ROI but faster breakeven. Basically, I told her "the damned thing pays for itself in 2 yrs". That won her over. But, if the inital cost isn't an emotional issue for anyone and you have a 10 or more yr horizon, go Plat.

btw, I bought Blvd. Elara and BLvd seem equally popular for this strategy. "Whatever is avail at the moment you're good to go" is prob the answer

Last edited:

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
getting a good deal?
I just wrote this a few days ago but btsom which thread. A simple approach: add the initial cost + 10 yrs of the most recent MFs/yr. Divide the total by #points.
If the result is > $2.00, pass.
If < $1.70, it is good.
$1.50 is excellent.
You see Husker's is $1.24, which is basically the lowest you will see. It borders on being a unicorn. I think there are very very few below $1.50, and below $1.70 it is mostly just gravy and "mine is better" stuff. I didn't calc your Kalia, prob about $1.80? When you add in the value of "I want to be in THIS tower and not have to compete hard for a res, $1.80 is plenty good.
edit: I guess with 5%+ inflation those #s have to adjust up by almost $0.10 every year

Last edited:

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
Because you are usually booking at 9 months or less, I assume you don't care about the resort, room type, or season.
ha ha ha. That is not it. You haven't heard about "walking a reservation" I guess :LOL:

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
The goal is to book exactly that way, and our schedule is very flexible to go during platinum season. What I don't know is the type of availability exists at 9 months out. If it's hard to get a reservation at 12 months, then I'm guessing it's impossible at 9 months.
we bought lagoon home week for all the reasons you cited. very happy with it. then we bought three more deeds. :)

don't over complicate this. if you want to go to kalia using home week every year, which you can reserve 9-12 months out, then buy there. We do that with Lagoon. sometimes at the nine month mark we cancel our home week and rebook using points if we want a slightly longer or shorter stay, but only if there is obviously availability. the home week guarantees at least our one week.

Last edited:

rmitch64

TUG Member
Reaction score
ha ha ha. That is not it. You haven't heard about "walking a reservation" I guess :LOL:
This comment I made referred to a LV purchase for the points and not the Kalia. Don't all points work the same during the Club period? I'll read up more on "walking" to understand that better.