• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC point transfer to RCI?

cfhqckwl

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I feel like I found this site a bit too late since I bought from retail. :crash: But I'm still very excited that I can get some ideas about how to use the points wisely. Just called customer services and they told me if I transfer my bonus points to RCI, The points are only valid until the end of the year. Which is not 4 y6ars as was discussed here. How can keep the bonus points for a longer time? (16000 points)

btw, is there a good reason to get HHonor credit card? And which card is better? Amex or Citi?:ponder:

Thanks!

C

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I feel like I found this site a bit too late since I bought from retail. :crash: But I'm still very excited that I can get some ideas about how to use the points wisely. Just called customer services and they told me if I transfer my bonus points to RCI, The points are only valid until the end of the year. Which is not 4 y6ars as was discussed here. How can keep the bonus points for a longer time? (16000 points)

btw, is there a good reason to get HHonor credit card? And which card is better? Amex or Citi?:ponder:

Thanks!

C

look at page 7 of this document. Bonus points have restrictions...

http://www.hgvclubprogram.com/content/1Rules-ENG-010116.pdf

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

C

In 2010, we purchased directly from HGVC and received 20,000 bonus points. Our bonus points expired 2 years after issue. In 2012, I still had 4,800 that haven't been used. So I deposited my 4,800 bonus points into RCI and got another 2 years. In 2014, I booked a 2BR at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya with my bonus points. I was able to stretch my bonus points out for 4 years.

Unless the rules have changed in 2016, you should be able to deposit your bonus points into RCI and get another 2 years.

You may want to call HGVC again and get a different counselor. They may be thinking of club points or something else.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it matters who answers the phone. I asked about depositing my leftover bonus points to RCI and the person I talked to said I could, but travel had to be completed by the end of the 2 years that the bonus points were good for. She said she could convert them to Honors points and they wouldn't expire. Maybe call again and see if you get a different answer from someone else since others have been able to do it.

The Hhonors credit card is good if you want gold status in Hhonors. That gives you a few benefits at the hotels, but not at the timeshares. I have the free AmEx. There is a paid AmEX which gives you instant gold status and if you charge a lot, you get diamond status.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can get a lot of points by signing up and paying your annual maintenance fee every year. I got 80,000 points last year for signing up, but now it appears they are giving 60,000 points. Also, you can get 10-12 points per dollar when used at Hilton. So if your maintenance fee is $1000, you can get another 10,000 points. I got the AmEx Surpass card because they offered a lot of points for signing up, but might change to another card soon that offers two free nights every year when you pay your annual fee, or the no annual fee card. Below is a link for the Surpass, but shop around and get what meets your needs.

https://www262.americanexpress.com/.../api/hil/hilton-hhonors-surpass-card/hhsc-008

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
One other thing, if you stay at Embasy Suites, I don't think it is worth having the gold status. If anyone knows of a gold status benefit at that hotel, please let us know.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
One other thing, if you stay at Embasy Suites, I don't think it is worth having the gold status. If anyone knows of a gold status benefit at that hotel, please let us know.

2 bottles of water when you check in.

njmacman

TUG Member
Reaction score
In 2010, we purchased directly from HGVC and received 20,000 bonus points. Our bonus points expired 2 years after issue. In 2012, I still had 4,800 that haven't been used. So I deposited my 4,800 bonus points into RCI and got another 2 years. In 2014, I booked a 2BR at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya with my bonus points. I was able to stretch my bonus points out for 4 years.

Unless the rules have changed in 2016, you should be able to deposit your bonus points into RCI and get another 2 years.

You may want to call HGVC again and get a different counselor. They may be thinking of club points or something else.

Do you have to call them to rescue bonus points to RCI or can you do it yourself online? if so, where on the site? Thanks.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Do you have to call them to rescue bonus points to RCI or can you do it yourself online? if so, where on the site? Thanks.

You can do it your self by logging into the HGVC member portal. On the left side of the screen are some menu choices. Scroll down and click on 'My Points' and then click on 'Deposit', a drop down menu opens and you'll see an option to Deposit points into RCI. Follow the instructions and you're done.

Or you can call an HGVC customer rep and they'll do it for you. I did my deposit online. It was easy.

Attachments

• Deposit to RCI.PNG
    Deposit to RCI.PNG
    35.8 KB · Views: 51

freewill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Related Question -- When does RCI draw points?

After booking an RCI exchange through the HGVC website portal, when do you customarily see points debited from your HGVC account?

My Example: I have 4800 saved points in my 2016 account (regular 2015 points that were rescued from last year; not bonus points in my case). Recently booked an RCI exchange for spring 2017 in Sedona for 4800 points. Should I expect RCI to draw down those 4800 points only when the exchange takes place early next year, or some point before then?

Thanks--and apologies for a little thread meandering!

cheers

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
After booking an RCI exchange through the HGVC website portal, when do you customarily see points debited from your HGVC account?

My Example: I have 4800 saved points in my 2016 account (regular 2015 points that were rescued from last year; not bonus points in my case). Recently booked an RCI exchange for spring 2017 in Sedona for 4800 points. Should I expect RCI to draw down those 4800 points only when the exchange takes place early next year, or some point before then?

Thanks--and apologies for a little thread meandering!

cheers

Whenever I book a RCI reservation, my HGVC points are deducted immediately. Last year (2015), I booked Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach for a Nov 2016 trip and my points were deducted once I confirmed the reservation.

You may want to contact a club counselor and have them assist you with making sure the right points were used for your reservation.

freewill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whenever I book a RCI reservation, my HGVC points are deducted immediately. Last year (2015), I booked Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach for a Nov 2016 trip and my points were deducted once I confirmed the reservation.

You may want to contact a club counselor and have them assist you with making sure the right points were used for your reservation.

Thanks -- that was my expectation as well based on my research. I wanted those saved points to be used for this 2017 reservation without having to pay a separate fee to deposit them into RCI (beyond the regular RCI exchange fees).

I'll call HGVC. Many thanks!