• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC on the Las Vegas Strip

Australia22!

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a one week every year, one bedroom HGVC on the Las Vegas strip, 3400 points, for approximately $4300. Is this good value?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm sure that others who are more in-the-know will post soon...
But I'd say, its a reasonable price, not a great deal, but decent.
My question to you is: Are you sure that you're buying enuff points?

If this is your 1st+only HGVC T/S, you might want to look for a unit that carries more. The HGVC program is very flexible -- you can use your points for any season or size unit, and can save or borrow points -- but you may on occasion find 3,400 points too limiting. Some folks end up buying 2nd-units for this reason, but that results in paying a second set of maintenance fees... an unnecessary expense. "Penny wise, pound foolish," and I would know.

Last edited:

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Mt.Zion-I'm from central Illinois as well.

$4300 for 3400 points seems a bit high to me especially since the maint fees will be similar to a 5000 point contract. IF you can justify $5000 I would buy a 5000 point contract as it will have similar maintenance fees and give you more flexibility.

http://www.sellingtimeshares.net/ look here or here http://www.timeshareresalepros.com/

Remember these are asking prices and in this econonmy a offer of $5000 maybe even 4300 for a 5000 point may be attractive to someone.

Last edited:

tjorhom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mt.Zion-I'm from central Illinois as well.

$4300 for 3400 points seems a bit high to me especially since the maint fees will be similar to a 5000 point contract. IF you can justify $5000 I would buy a 5000 point contract as it will have similar maintenance fees and give you more flexibility.

http://www.sellingtimeshares.net/ look here or here http://www.timeshareresalepros.com/

Remember these are asking prices and in this econonmy a offer of $5000 maybe even 4300 for a 5000 point may be attractive to someone.

I paid $4000 for 4800 points at The Bay club at Waikoloa

Socko33

Reaction score
I got 5000pts every year for $6000.

I bought in September 2008 and also got the owner's leftover 4450 points.

Aptman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a great deal. See this thread started by Seth Nock regarding recent Hilton Buy-backs to see what kind of price you should be paying. You should try to get it as close to the buy-back price as possible. Hilton is much more likely to let a Gold Season unit go than a platinum one, so you should buy accordingly. Remember, though, you pay maintenance fees based on the size of the unit, not the number of points you're getting. So, a 1 BD gold (3400 points) and a 1 BD platinum (4800 points) pay the same maintenance fees. This means if you are deciding between a 1 BD platinum (4800 points) and a 2 BD gold (5000 points), you will pay more in maintenance fees every year, and eventually you will end up paying more for the 2 BD unit - even if it costs less initially - depending on how long you own the unit.

For gold season, I keep reading about units passing ROFR at $1 per point, and you're looking at about $1.3 per point. Furthermore, 3500 points is just not a lot of points these days. I don't know if it's going to become an issue at some point, but with all of these new buildings coming along with very high point values for usage (like the Grand Waikikian and Kingsland), you may find some of those owners would prefer to spend 2 weeks at the Lagoon Tower or HGVC Waikaloa to one week in their home resort. It doesn't take too many of them doing that before the lower point resorts fill up, and space is only available at the higher point resorts, which those of us with lower point ownerships will be priced out of (Unless we want to go every other year). This is certainly a concern of mine going forward as I only have 4800 points.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I paid $4000 for 4800 points at The Bay club at Waikoloa

<cough> The Bay Club is a nice resort, but its only an affiliate of HGVC. You'll have use of the HGVC system, but its not exactly the same... hence the lower prices.

There's a reason why platinum units command a premium. You'll get more points for the same MF's as a similar size unit in a lesser season... and if you amortize the purchase price over 10 - 15 years, you may find the higher price less significant than the extra points prove to be. <just my 2 cents>