• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC: New reservervation window needed?

wvalx

Reaction score
I just got back from an awesome week at HGVC at Hawaiian Village. I own at HGVC Seaworld and I was thinking just to be fair that there should be an extra reservation window in between Home Resort and Club Reservation to allow owners at particular resort have a chance at booking a reservation that doesn't match the exact week that they purchased, before non-resort owners have a shot.

Maybe:

Home Resort 9 months+
Club (owners at resort only) 7-9 months
Club (all) < 7 months

Maybe it's just me, but I booked 7 trips over the last 5 years and only once did I book my Home resort week (I usually booked partial weeks, 3 bedroom, higher or lower season, etc.)

Any one else have thoughts on this?

Dave

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I like it as is

I don't understand, there always seems to be availability at HGVC Sea World.

I like it the way it is. This gives everyone an equal opportunity. If you know that you want something different ahead of time (different season, unit, etc) just make the reservation as soon as Club season begins.

I think a lot of folks reserve during Club Season. I have yet to book during my home resort season but that doesn't bother me. Flexibility is the best feature of HGVC. At 9 months I can choose any resort, any size unit, for any amount of days (3 day minimum). However if you own at resort that books quicker than most like HHV, they can simply reserve during home resort season to hold their unit size then try to change during club season for a different season, unit size and/or number of days.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like 12-15 months at home resort/home season
10-12 home resort, any season
less than 10 any resort, any season

Seth Nock

Reaction score
I have never had any trouble booking a Hilton. Most of my buyers don't book until just a couple months prior to the date of travel.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I think of the larger hotel chains. starwood, Hilton, Marriott.

Hilton wins hands down on availability

Now if they would only add more locations. Wait a minute we already have that thread !

wvalx

Reaction score
Seth Nock said:
I have never had any trouble booking a Hilton. Most of my buyers don't book until just a couple months prior to the date of travel.

I agree that the 3 times I have looked for HHV at the 9 months it's been wide open. Which leads to me to think: if I try outside of dec 25th - jan 1 and august, why should I ever buy a Hawaiian resort week? I can buy a Seaworld week for 1/2 the cost upfront + save maintenance yearly, and trade in every year.

In regards to availabilty, I wonder what the % of HGVC Hawaiian owners are Japanese as I was reading an article out there that said most Japanese don't plan vacations far in advance. Also, I wonder how many of those Japanese try for just the August holiday travel.

wvalx

Reaction score
alwysonvac said:
I don't understand, there always seems to be availability at HGVC Sea World.

I like it the way it is. This gives everyone an equal opportunity. If you know that you want something different ahead of time (different season, unit, etc) just make the reservation as soon as Club season begins.

I think a lot of folks reserve during Club Season. I have yet to book during my home resort season but that doesn't bother me. Flexibility is the best feature of HGVC. At 9 months I can choose any resort, any size unit, for any amount of days (3 day minimum). However if you own at resort that books quicker than most like HHV, they can simply reserve during home resort season to hold their unit size then try to change during club season for a different season, unit size and/or number of days.

But the point is if you want some accomodations for 10 days instead of your normal Home resort 7 days (by borrowing) I have to fight with all non-owners at the resort. IMHO, as owner at a resort one should get a small window to book ahead of other non-owners.

Look, owning at Seaworld I take advantage of the system, it just seems if you do not book Home resort (exact season, room size, exact points) often, there's no incentive to own at a particular resort. Just pick the cheapest one.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Fight for availability at HGVC Seaworld?

wvalx said:
But the point is if you want some accomodations for 10 days instead of your normal Home resort 7 days (by borrowing) I have to fight with all non-owners at the resort. IMHO, as owner at a resort one should get a small window to book ahead of other non-owners.

There always seems to be availability during Club Season and Open Season at HGVC at SeaWorld. In addition, HGVC has several resorts in the same location. For example we have both Seaworld and Intl Drive in Orlando. I've never had a problem booking a shorter stay, longer stay or a week long stay at the 9 month mark. Hawaii should get better once the additional buildings become available.

Look, owning at Seaworld I take advantage of the system, it just seems if you do not book Home resort (exact season, room size, exact points) often, there's no incentive to own at a particular resort. Just pick the cheapest one.

I'm sure some HGVC owners that have vacation restrictions (such as school age children) may take advantage of the home season window to secure summer weeks, President's Week, Easter Week and XMAS week.

Changing the system would put HGVC owners with largest number of points at the greatest advantage. The 3400 owner would probably not make much of a change but the Elite members with over 14,000 point at one resort can stretch their time if they choose to move from a higher season to a lower season and/or larger unit to smaller size units and/or increase/decrease days. Overall, this may leave HGVC owners with less availability if they want to reserve at another HGVC resort (especially lower point owners).

I bought my units based on the understanding of how the system work. I don't want to be left with less availability.

TravelingT

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, if I am understanding this conversation right, then the season that your points belong to doesn't matter if you book at 9 months out. And, it seems that availability is pretty good at 9 months out. So, if I am in the market for points, and will be flexible, then silver points are the same as platinum. I thought that I understood it to be the other way around. That platinum was the best because the maintenance fees were the same for a unit regardless of the season, and that the advantage was very important.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
TravelingT said:
So, if I am understanding this conversation right, then the season that your points belong to doesn't matter if you book at 9 months out. And, it seems that availability is pretty good at 9 months out. So, if I am in the market for points, and will be flexible, then silver points are the
same as platinum.

Yes, the season that your points belong to doesn't matter if you book 9 months or less.

Yes, availability is pretty good at 9 months out if you're not trying to go during high season at certain HGVC locations (ie HGVC in Hawaii).

No, silver points are not the same as platinum points. Club Points are based on unit size and season. For example, a 2 bedroom owner in silver season will only have 3500 HGVC points annually where as a platinum owner would have 7000 HGVC points annually. (see the HGVC Club Point Use Chart under TUG Advice http://www.tug2.net/advice/hgvc.htm)

TravelingT said:
I thought that I understood it to be the other way around. That platinum was the best because the maintenance fees were the same for a unit regardless of the season, and that the advantage was very important.

Yes, Maintenance Fees are based on unit size.

For example if you own a two bedroom the maintenance fee is the same regardless if you own during silver season (3500 HGVC points annually), gold season (5000 HGVC points annually) or platinum season (7000 HGVC points annually)

Only you can determine based on your traveling plans which is the advantage.

For example -
If you're planning for the most part to go to the same resort every year during the same time period (ie take the kids to Orlando every summer) then to me it makes sense to buy the exact size unit for the season you need to avoid paying the booking fee every year

If you're planning to exchange every year at the 9 month mark and you need a one bedroom then it makes sense to buy the unit size you need (a one bedroom in this example) with the most points (platinum season) with the lowest maintenance fee. But I guess it ultimately depends on the resale deals that you find. I won't rule out a gold week if the price is right.

Just don't buy Las Vegas or Orlando and expect to go to HGVC at the Hilton Hawaiian Village every year during the summer (high travel season for Hawaii).

I hope this helps

wolfin

Reaction score
Is there any advantage to purchasing a HGVC with the developer rather than on the re-sale market? It seems to me if the elite program is all you cannot participate in if you buy re-sale then it isn't worth paying lots more to the developer. Is this correct? The sales person at Hawaiian Village made it sound like that Hilton could tell people that buy on the re-sale market that they can't trade within the club any longer but I have been told be realtors that this is not the case. Thought I would ask an unbiased person that appears to have some knowledge of the system. If you trade in the Hilton system does it matter where you own. All information would be appreciated. Thanks. Kathy

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
wolfin said:
Is there any advantage to purchasing a HGVC with the developer rather than on the re-sale market? It seems to me if the elite program is all you cannot participate in if you buy re-sale then it isn't worth paying lots more to the developer. Is this correct? The sales person at Hawaiian Village made it sound like that Hilton could tell people that buy on the re-sale market that they can't trade within the club any longer but I have been told be realtors that this is not the case. Thought I would ask an unbiased person that appears to have some knowledge of the system. If you trade in the Hilton system does it matter where you own. All information would be appreciated. Thanks. Kathy

There are some advantages buying from developer

You can book your home resort and home season 12 months in advance in lieu of 9 months. This is not an advantage to me, since I book stays less than a week, but it is an advantage to some.
You can qualify for Elite

It's pure BS, that Hilton will kick resale members out of the program.
Juswt about all the affiliates would have to be considered resale.. and as all the properties get older, there are many many resales. I don't think they'd want to lose that much inventory at Las Vegas Flamingo.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
CaliDave said:
There are some advantages buying from developer

You can book your home resort and home season 12 months in advance in lieu of 9 months. This is not an advantage to me, since I book stays less than a week, but it is an advantage to some.
You can qualify for Elite

CaliDave,
I'm confused. Booking your home resort and home season 12 months in advance is part of the home resort season reservation. This is not something that is only offered to those who bought from the developer.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
wolfin said:

At 9 months you can choose any resort, any size unit, for any amount of days (3 day minimum). See the HGVC section under TUG Advice for current benefits available to all members - http://www.tug2.net/advice/hgvc.htm

I'm not an Elite Owner but I have one of the old Elite Membership books

According to my old Elite Membership Book, Elite Members get
- Gold VIP HHONORS Membership (instead of Silver for regular members)
- Access to Premier Vacation Resorts Worldwide (Just a list of RCI resort that regular members have access to - not really sure if Elite members have any better access)
- Early Reservation Privileges at Select HGVC Resorts (for example in my book this was only available at HGVC at the Kalia Tower and you were able to reserve during home resort season even though this may not be your home resort)
- 10% discount on Open Season Reservation rates
- $10 discount on Club and Open Seasn Reservations booked online
- Dedicated Elite service line

Of course, there is also the statement at the end of the Elite Membership book that states
"Elite Membership benefits, services and qualification criteria may change from time to time at the sole discretion of HGVC. HGVC reserves the right to change, suspend or terminate Elite membership services or benefits at any time"

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
wolfin said:
Is there any advantage to purchasing a HGVC with the developer rather than on the re-sale market?
Only the elite program which currently requires 14,000 HGVC bought from the developer

wolfin said:
It seems to me if the elite program is all you cannot participate in if you buy re-sale then it isn't worth paying lots more to the developer. Is this correct?
If you think the Elite Benefits (which can change) is worth it. For me, it's not.

wolfin said:
If you trade in the Hilton system does it matter where you own.
No it doesn't matter where you own if you want to trade in the Hilton system

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
alwysonvac said:
CaliDave,
I'm confused. Booking your home resort and home season 12 months in advance is part of the home resort season reservation. This is not something that is only offered to those who bought from the developer.

you're right.. I was thinking of the advantage of buying at a specific resort..
like HHV compared to Orlando. You can book HHV at 12 months if that is your home resort.