• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC New Point structure

kdorward

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the recent Grand Times there was an article "Points in Perapective". I was wondering if anyone had any comments on this. It doesn't sound good for existing owners. They are going to include the unit that you own in deerming point values needed. They say for existing properties won't be any change. But they are talking about new propertites using this concept. It sounds like existing owers points won't be worth as much at the newer resorts????

gshipley

TUG Member
Reaction score
kdorward said:
In the recent Grand Times there was an article "Points in Perapective". I was wondering if anyone had any comments on this. It doesn't sound good for existing owners. They are going to include the unit that you own in deerming point values needed. They say for existing properties won't be any change. But they are talking about new propertites using this concept. It sounds like existing owers points won't be worth as much at the newer resorts????

That is the impression I got as well. Seems like my 7000 points will be under valued at the new resorts. :( I guess we will have to wait for the pricing charts to come out though.

Sooby

TUG Member
Reaction score
I missed this artcle and can't find my Grand Times- which doesn't sound so grand to me!! I was thinking a buying a few more this next year to add to my points but now I'm not sure I will do this and will not recommend to my friends to buy. When is this coming out and how can I get more information. Thanks, Sooby with 7000pts a flamingo

MattnTricia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Point Structure

My guess is that it will be similar to the new Waikoloa Beach. There are very few 7000 point weeks available. Most units are either 8400 or 9600. To me this is tough to justify when 8400 and 9600 have the same view and are only different in furnishings. IMHO, this is especially tough to fathom when the view is of the golf course and not the Ocean.

With that being said I would spend the extra points in a heartbeat to stay at the new resort to have use of the neighboring facilities.

Sooby

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the 7000s like with no view? Are the furnishings different between the 7000 and the 8400s? The other thing that they seem to be doing is not having many one bedrooms which for many of us it is all that is needed.

kdorward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thats great, HGVC finally starts to get more resorts and our points won't be worth as much anymore. It sounds like the "Next Generation Resorts" will take more points from the older resorts to exchange into. It seems like they will have alot more options at the new resorts(daily maid services,complimentary food and beverage, better furnishings) Has anyone heard anything on how these new points will work

PClapham

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
added question: re Club Intrawest-so HGVC owners can exchange only for a week rather than a few days?
Anita

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
PClapham said:
added question: re Club Intrawest-so HGVC owners can exchange only for a week rather than a few days?
Anita

I would assume so.
Currrently, elite members can exchange into CI. The point schedules for all CI resorts are for weekly stays. No daily schedules are shown. I'm assuming that that won't change.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
New does cost more

kdorward said:

Of course the new locations will cost more points. Can you build your home or a condo for the same price now as in 1998 or 2002? Are land costs the same now? Either they move to less desirable locations, cheapen up the units and constuction or they admit that the newer units are more expensive to build and charge more in both purchase cost and points for use.

The same type of thing is mentioned quite often in the Fairfield system. Some claim that it's points inflation. It's not. It is a natural creep up if you expect to have new resorts and place to use. It's a big reason why buying the bare minimum for what you want today isn't a good long term plan unless what is available for those points today is all you ever want.

Last edited:

cds62

TUG Member
Reaction score
The new HGVC system is similiar to how DVC has been doing it for years. As they have built new resorts or added special views such as at Boardwalk Villas the points have increased for those resorts. If you look at DVC the points are lower for Old Key West and Saratoga Springs but more the others. I own in both systems, HGVC and DVC and this is an understandable approach to new resorts.

Steve

Reaction score
timeos2 said:
Of course the new locations will cost more points. Can you build your home or a condo for the same price now as in 1998 or 2002? Are land costs the same now? Either they move to less desirable locations, cheapen up the units and constuction or they admit that the newer units are more expensive to build and charge more in both purchase cost and points for use.

The same type of thing is mentioned quite often in the Fairfield system. Some claim that it's points inflation. It's not. It is a natural creep up if you expect to have new resorts and place to use. It's a big reason why buying the bare minimum for what you want today isn't a good long term plan unless what is available for those points today is all you ever want.

This is the best argument I have seen in favor of a traditional weeks based system like what Marriott currently has. For example, my platinum Manor Club week will trade into any of the new Marriotts...including Hawaii, Newport Coast, etc. I don't have to pay more...either in terms of purchase price or maintenance fees...to get into the new Marriott properties. If you own at a very high quality older resort, you are better off in a weeks system than a points system.

Call it what you like, I consider higher points values for new resorts to be points inflation.

Steve

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I guess we'll have to wait and see

I'm just happy that the new resorts will be available to existing HGVC members. Hopefully the new point structure will mean a slightly higher point level and not twice as many points. For example, a 5 or 6 night stay (for the existing gold and platinum point levels) instead of the 7-night stay.

By the way, they also mentioned some program changes in the 2007 Club Member Guide (see below)

from the Fall 2006 Grand Times
Page 2
"...From all parts of the world, Members look for value and simplicity in the Club; and Members want to maximize their membership benefits. We're hearing that you don't want to be "nickel-and-dimed" and you would like us to provide ways to make your points go further.
Our Club management team is focused on addressing your feedback, We're looking forward to presenting some exciting program changes in the 2007 Club Member Guide (slated for distribution this December). We are confident that these changes address the preferences of our Club membership, while maintaining our high level of customer service......"

Page 8
"The amount of ClubPoints at HGVC resorts has been based on two factors: the season (Platinum, Gold, etc) and the type of unit (one bedroom, two bedroom, etc). Starting with the next generation of resorts, a third component will come into play.
The third dimension is the actual property itself.......The changes will affect the number of ClubPoints awarded to Members who own at these resorts, and it will also affect the number of ClubPoints all Members need to make reservations at the new properties. ClubPoints at existing HGVC properties will not change
The ClubPoints structure for the next generation of properties will reflect the unique aspects of the new resorts, such as furnishings, location, services and amenities..............
Although the new resorts are not scheduled to open for at least a year, Members can begin familiarizing themselves with the new ClubPoints structure as early as next summer. Rest assured though, the Club Point values at the existing properties will not change. Stay tuned for details and ClubPoints values for our next generation of resorts"

Page 9
"To complement our current Club Collection, we're building resorts and properties that take the Member experience to a whole new level'

Last edited:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Fixed weeks guarantee noting but your fixed week

Steve said:
This is the best argument I have seen in favor of a traditional weeks based system like what Marriott currently has. For example, my platinum Manor Club week will trade into any of the new Marriotts...including Hawaii, Newport Coast, etc. I don't have to pay more...either in terms of purchase price or maintenance fees...to get into the new Marriott properties. If you own at a very high quality older resort, you are better off in a weeks system than a points system.

Call it what you like, I consider higher points values for new resorts to be points inflation.

Steve

I doubt you'll be regularly able to trade into the exact time, unit, resort you want using weeks - even with Marriott preference. If, as rumored, they head to their own points system the weeks side will whither away as it did over time with FF when they made that switch. Certainly an occasional trade of an older but still quality week can be made into a newer resort but not almost on demand as it can with points. I agree that a quality older week may be slightly cheaper with the possibilty of a trade now but over time that will become less and less likely for a number of reasons. There is a price for the flexibility of points but, so far, the additional benefits far outweigh the small difference if I compare 7 day for 7 day trades. If I consider the added choices of various ways to extend the points unavailable to a 1 for 1 system they are actually cheaper most years.

Both have their place and neither are the perfect answer for everyone. Thats why people buy and prefer one or the other.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Sooby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Elite????

So this doesn't sound so great for the present Elite status. Are they going to have Elite Plus and Elite Premier? This definitely says to me that you better like the place you've purchased because trading could be costly. :annoyed:

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't mind getting new locations that cost more points.
It's better than having only a few resort areas to choose from. You
don't have to trade into these new locations.

Also, I would rather pay 20% more points and have a great resort in Maui.

It better than going the way of Worldmark and buying up some cheap resort in the middle of nowhere to dilute the point system.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Sooby said:
So this doesn't sound so great for the present Elite status. Are they going to have Elite Plus and Elite Premier? This definitely says to me that you better like the place you've purchased because trading could be costly. :annoyed:

It seems the elite membership qualification criteria may change. I'm assuming the minimum number of points may increase with the introduction of the next generation of properties. Based on the "Use of Terms" statement (see below) in the Elite Membership Guide it's unclear whether the existing Elite members would be grandfathered if the criteria changed.

My old Elite Membership Guide states under "Terms of Use" on the Elite Membership Details page
.....Elite membership benefits, services and qualification criteria may change from time to time at the sole discretion of HGVClub. HGVCLub reserves the right to change, suspend or terminate Elite Membership services or benefits at any time

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
CaliDave said:
I don't mind getting new locations that cost more points.
It's better than having only a few resort areas to choose from. You
don't have to trade into these new locations.

Also, I would rather pay 20% more points and have a great resort in Maui.

i agree completely

reddiablosv

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, so I pose the question? If you had the money and the use for it. And you were offered a TS worth 7000 annual pts. at a HGVC affiliate on the Big Island for $8600 plus approx. $450 in closing costs, would you go for it?? Ben

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
reddiablosv said:
OK, so I pose the question? If you had the money and the use for it. And you were offered a TS worth 7000 annual pts. at a HGVC affiliate on the Big Island for $8600 plus approx. $450 in closing costs, would you go for it?? Ben

Yeah, thats a great deal, I would buy it. Even though maint fees are $200 more. It will take 20 years to make up the extra cost to buy in Vegas

Pronkster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there ever a chance that the affiliates will no longer be part of HGVC? Even though they are much cheaper to buy, not knowing the answer to this question keeps me from buying one. Anyone have any insight on this?

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pronkster said:
Is there ever a chance that the affiliates will no longer be part of HGVC? Even though they are much cheaper to buy, not knowing the answer to this question keeps me from buying one. Anyone have any insight on this?

I guess it could happen.. I think Bayclub would be the least likely to ever pull out. The new Hilton built resort is pretty much on the same site.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I dont think that the sw florida affiliates will be dropped. they are very high demand locations and well maintained. The colorado location is also excelent.

I am interetsed to see what the new marriott will look like on Marco.

Bill4728

Reaction score
CaliDave said:
I guess it could happen.. I think Bayclub would be the least likely to ever pull out. The new Hilton built resort is pretty much on the same site.
Just at the new HGVC next to the Bay club and I asked that question. "Have any affiliates ever been dropped?"

The answer was a bit of a surprise. The TS saleman said that since there are no HGVC resorts near any of the affiliates that they will not likely be dropped. But the Bay club may be dropped as the new HGVC at Waikoloa grows.

The current HGVC is only about 20% of the total resort planned. the next developement will be 1/4 mile down the road, on the far side of the golf course and include a huge water park/pool. AS HGVC grows, the need for Bay club may lessen meaning that HGVC may drop the bay club.