• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC / Embarc?

Chris-ATX

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
Hi everyone -

I searched the forums, but didn't really find what I'm looking for WRT being a current HGVC member and then buying points on Embarc. I don't really get how it works... so sorry for the maybe obviously dumb questions:
  1. If we buy an Embrac deal (resell), will those points be available to us as part of our overall HGVC point total or would the be separate?
  2. Do we get better access to the Embarc locations and can we use our existing HGVC points to book those locations?
  3. Is there any advantage to getting Embarc points now that these locations are (supposedly) available to book through the MAX website (We are already existing Max members - or whatever we are called)
thanks for the help - we live in TX but those Canadian properties (and others) are starting to look mighty nice as our weather heats up!

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I am pretty sure that my answers are correct, but @cd5 please verify/correct

If we buy an Embrac deal (resell), will those points be available to us as part of our overall HGVC point total or would the be separate?
separate. You will be basically in two different TS systems.
Do we get better access to the Embarc locations and can we use our existing HGVC points to book those locations?
no
Is there any advantage to getting Embarc points now that these locations are (supposedly) available to book through the MAX website (We are already existing Max members - or whatever we are called)
Yes, you will be able to have better access to Embarc resorts using your Embarc points.

Chris-ATX

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
Great, thanks.

Those Embarc locations look great, but we don't really want a separate organization to deal with... so that's not as interesting.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@cd5 or Chantal has set up a Facebook group that is a place where HGVC member and embarc members can discuss swapping their time at the resorts. The embarc resorts are very nice and although I've only stayed at 3 so far I am glad I ventured into owning embarc. I do understand the not wanting to learn another system though, as they all take time and effort to learn how to best use your membership. I think your best bet is a direct exchange either through TUG or the Facebook group.

Reactions: cd5

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Stayed at 3 Embarc resorts via Interval exchange, all are fantastic: Whistler, Panorama, Palm Desert.

I looked hard into buying resale Embarc points ownership, and came to the conclusion it's not for me, even if it was free. Mainly because of very high maintenance fees and difficulty reserving prime ski time in Whistler.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
@Chris-ATX, are you in HGVC Max with DeX exchange (I think that Max has access to DeX)? If not, have you looked at this thread?

Last edited:

Chris-ATX

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
@Chris-ATX, are you in HGVC Max with DeX exchange (I think that Max has access to DeX)? If not, have you looked at this thread?

Yes, we are HGVC Max, will have to check with Jen (wife, master of travel plans at our house) about DeX. I kinda assume so? But those assumptions get me in trouble...

I'll check out the link, many thanks!

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
I am pretty sure that my answers are correct, but @cd5 please verify/correct

separate. You will be basically in two different TS systems.

no

Yes, you will be able to have better access to Embarc resorts using your Embarc points.
Agree with all your responses!

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
@cd5 or Chantal has set up a Facebook group that is a place where HGVC member and embarc members can discuss swapping their time at the resorts. The embarc resorts are very nice and although I've only stayed at 3 so far I am glad I ventured into owning embarc. I do understand the not wanting to learn another system though, as they all take time and effort to learn how to best use your membership. I think your best bet is a direct exchange either through TUG or the Facebook group.
Well, from what I can see, the Embarc system is pretty "uncomplicated" compared to a lot of them out there. As well, fees may appear higher per point but we aren't "nickled and dimed" with extra charges like for guest certificates etc. You pay your fees, you reserve at Embarc and there's no extras to pay during your stay (Vancouver being the exception for parking). You can go to any of the 9 resorts, choose any size of room and at any time of the year if you have sufficient points for the booking. Places like Whistler in peak/holiday weeks must be booked at exactly 11 months out but for skiers, Panorama is more accessible, affordable and uncrowded. One can't just look at the fee of 15¢ usd per point and assume it is more "expensive" than HGVC - you also have to compare what you can get for a specific number of points - and in certain, perhaps many cases, it may be more in comparison.

Last edited:

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
You can go to any of the 9 resorts, choose any size of room and at any time of the year if you have sufficient points for the booking.
How is this different from HGVC?

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
Every member pays the same annual fee and has no home week or resort or Platinum vs Gold status. Not enough points for a specific location this year? You can rent them from another member & combine them with your own to book or easily buy resale to acquire the points permanently. You're not limited to the points your deeded HGVC week allows you.

Last edited:

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Every member pays the same annual fee and has no home week or resort or Platinum vs Gold status. Not enough points for a specific location this year? You can rent them from another member & combine them with your own to book or easily buy resale to acquire the points permanently. You're not limited to the points your deeded week allows you.
so it’s not a deed system but a points system?

I went to the FB page and asked for a trade and a few folks offered. But what you’re saying is they don’t own weeks at Zihua or Whistler; they just owned points and would make a reservation for me?

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
so it’s not a deed system but a points system?

I went to the FB page and asked for a trade and a few folks offered. But what you’re saying is they don’t own weeks at Zihua or Whistler; they just owned points and would make a reservation for me?
Yes, you can give them your dates and the size of unit and they can try to reserve it for you. They don't own anywhere specific. Any Embarc member can reserve at any location 11 months out for 6 nights or more. Gets competitive for certain times of year but some members are pretty quick on the button and get what they want regularly.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
i've lost the link to the facebook page for an exchange. can anyone provide that?