• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGV - First Right of Refusal

bfish1953

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking at buying 2 weeks at a HGV location from an individual but just found out that the Hilton wants to have a first right of refusal clause added to the deed title before the people we are buying sends to us. They bought these weeks several years ago and it is not currently on their deed. Is this something new? Can we keep them from putting that on our deed? Any help is appreciated.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Which property ?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Are you sure they are just not requiring an Estoppel with ROFR clearance? Even if they don't have ROFR HGV requires all sales to first apply for the Estoppel.

I don't think they can just change deeds like that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It sounds like they want a ROFR clause in the deed. The answer to which is "it depends."

Flamingo is the only HGVC property w/o ROFR, and they have no right to add it there.

Other HGVC properties have it as part of their covenants+declarations, even if not on the deed.
Adding it to deeds for these merely puts future buyers on notice of HGVC's rights therein.

HGVC prolly sees many transactions that did not follow the ROFR process, and heard
the excuse, "But it wasn't in the deed."

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like they want a ROFR clause in the deed. The answer to which is "it depends."

Flamingo is the only HGVC property w/o ROFR, and they have no right to add it there.

Interestingly, even for Flamingo, it goes through the "ROFR process" even though they can't exercise it. The chances of passing, though, are pretty good :)

Cheers.

gologo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All HGVC
Always buy from the secondary market!
I always buy on the secondary market and have never had a purchase refused....even when 3400 annual points sold for $1

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I always buy on the secondary market and have never had a purchase refused....even when 3400 annual points sold for $1

I had a $15,000 offer for a Platinum Studio week (5250 BHC points) at W 57th St taken by ROFR.

TDub1313

Reaction score
I wonder how the pandemic will impact ROFR? Is it possible that they would scale back even more to keep cash on hand. Buying contracts back that they currently can’t sell seems like it could be a problem. Also any MF responsibilities that would come with exercising ROFR. If a recession is looming, cash might be better to hold than to use on ROFR?

MPrince

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC The District by Hilton Gold, HGVC Oceans 22 Platinum, Elara Gold, Elara Platinum, Flamingo Gold
IMO, I expect that HGV would wave most (maybe all) ROFR during this time.

Most, probably, but not all. I have made offers on four properties since March. Two, at Elara, passed ROFR. One is pending, but it's Flamingo so that will pass. One was at Ocean Oak (5000 points for $1,250) and that one did not pass ROFR. (Nor did I expect it to). This was 2 or 3 weeks ago.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Most, probably, but not all. I have made offers on four properties since March. Two, at Elara, passed ROFR. One is pending, but it's Flamingo so that will pass. One was at Ocean Oak (5000 points for $1,250) and that one did not pass ROFR. (Nor did I expect it to). This was 2 or 3 weeks ago.

There was post awhile ago (6-9 months) where a member said they were told by a broke that HGVC wasn’t exercising ROFR on Elara. It saying the broker was correct, but it was reported here.

BK2019

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Saratoga Springs
HGVC Paradise
I heard that ROFR at Ocean Oak doesn't go through the main office in Orlando, but it's handled at the offices and they are much more aggressive on buy backs.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
IMO, I expect that HGV would wave most (maybe all) ROFR during this time.
I agree with this assessment. And they are doing it quickly, apparently. I just got notification for waived ROFR on a property I bought on EBay. Completed paperwork was submitted on May 4th and closing company emailed me today (May 14th) and said they received the waiver and we can proceed with deeding. It’s almost too quick to believe.

Sean

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Guess they want the fees associated with a resell unit coming in more quickly.

I agree with this assessment. And they are doing it quickly, apparently. I just got notification for waived ROFR on a property I bought on EBay. Completed paperwork was submitted on May 4th and closing company emailed me today (May 14th) and said they received the waiver and we can proceed with deeding. It’s almost too quick to believe.

Sean