• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hey guys -- It's Grand CA Villas time!!

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guess what, GCV goes on sale this Sunday for the "presale" to those who got priority purchase!! Like we guessed earlier, the price is $112 minus a $5 discount. Also there is a matching developer point bonus but only good till Oct 09 and only at SSR or the DL hotels. This is kind of a big bummer for me since I can't possibly take more time off in such short time. Ah well.

Ready for the BIG CATCH? Minimum 100 points!!!! Even add ons have to be 100 points. :eek: For us, that is just right. But my sister is OUT because she only wanted about 50 points. So who is in???

Katherine

Last edited:

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
I am, I am! It is time to do the Disney Dance! :whoopie: :cheer: :banana:

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me too! :cheer: How many points are you buying?

Katherine

Carl D

Reaction score
I was planning on buying, but because of the bonehead change in booking policy, it is now far from certain I would be able to secure a 4 night reservation.,, especially with only 50 units.

Worst move DVC ever made IMO.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I was planning on buying, but because of the bonehead change in booking policy, it is now far from certain I would be able to secure a 4 night reservation.,, especially with only 50 units.

Worst move DVC ever made IMO.

Which bonehead change was this? The change in weeknight/weekend points, or the check-in date versus check-out date, or something else I missed? I haven't been reading the disboards as often as I used to :eek: .

Carl D

Reaction score
Which bonehead change was this? The change in weeknight/weekend points, or the check-in date versus check-out date, or something else I missed? I haven't been reading the disboards as often as I used to :eek: .
Yes.. I was referring to the check-in vs check-out booking.
In my opinion, that's the single biggest blunder DVC has made. The booking system is no longer fair... Unless we get into the whole "walking your reservation" scenario.

What a mess.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
Me too! :cheer: How many points are you buying?

Katherine

The minimum amount we will purchase wil be 160, but I would like to buy 300 points! We are still figuring out financially which one we will purchase. But given the present economy and who knows what the future will bring, it would be best for us to purchased the 160. But I really want the 300 points! Either way we are blessed to be able to even consider buying and I am thankful.:)

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Yes.. I was referring to the check-in vs check-out booking.
In my opinion, that's the single biggest blunder DVC has made. The booking system is no longer fair... Unless we get into the whole "walking your reservation" scenario.

What a mess.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I was happy with the old rules also. Sigh.

toocherie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in--buying the maximum 500 points, broken into several contracts. And will likely dispose of my points in Florida at some point in the future.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW! 500 points! Holy cow! What RU going to do with them all? Good for you to get so many. We are looking into abotu 300 points broken into 3 contracts. My guide is off till Sunday so I am getting antsy!

By the way, I love the new reservation system. I can call in 3 days and get a week of NY reserved without having to call every darn day of the busiest reservation day of the year! I am not sure what you mean by bonehead but for most of us, this new system saves us 7 phone calls in a row! Now THAT was a bonehead system.

Katherine

Carl D

Reaction score
By the way, I love the new reservation system. I can call in 3 days and get a week of NY reserved without having to call every darn day of the busiest reservation day of the year! I am not sure what you mean by bonehead but for most of us, this new system saves us 7 phone calls in a row! Now THAT was a bonehead system.
Just wait until you want a hard to get ressie, and several people have called one day before you and booked a week. You will be locked out of your ressie before you are even allowed to call for booking.
This will happen where rooms are limited, such as AKV concierge, BW view, and possible the GC since there are few units.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wait until you want a hard to get ressie, and several people have called one day before you and booked a week. You will be locked out of your ressie before you are even allowed to call for booking.
This will happen where rooms are limited, such as AKV concierge, BW view, and possible the GC since there are few units.

I've done okay so far, GV at SSR for Thanksgiving 2009

My test will be 2br at VB for Easter 2010(there are only 36 of them split between lockoff/dedicated). I'll be going for a week Sat-Sat.

Carl D

Reaction score
I've done okay so far, GV at SSR for Thanksgiving 2009

My test will be 2br at VB for Easter 2010(there are only 36 of them split between lockoff/dedicated). I'll be going for a week Sat-Sat.
I'm happy to hear that. I have also done okay so far, and I certainly hope both our streaks continue.
That said, it's no longer a sure thing. I think when the people in favor of the new system start realizing the negative, unintended consequences, they may change their minds.

Carl D

Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by bonehead but for most of us, this new system saves us 7 phone calls in a row! Now THAT was a bonehead system.
I would also like to add-
With the old system you never had to make 7 phone calls. You always had the option of waiting untill 11 months from check-out, then making 1 call.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I think I've been lucky as we usually come in on a Fri/Sat. Now with the change in points that might throw things off.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also like to add-
With the old system you never had to make 7 phone calls. You always had the option of waiting untill 11 months from check-out, then making 1 call.

Well, for high demand weeks, you had to book "backwards" so I had to call on the check in date and reserve that day (but could not reserve days after that). Then the next day, to make sure availability was there, you had to call again and reserve the next day (and connect the ressies). I had to do this for EVERY day of the week 52 I wanted to go. That was really really silly.

Now I am going to call on the 26th and reserve from the 26-2nd with one phone call. I suppose it is possible that people calling today will fill up the days of the 26 and 27 and 2 ahead of time. I will know on Monday. But so far, it looks like 1 phone call and that's it.

Katherine

Carl D

Reaction score
I suppose it is possible that people calling today will fill up the days of the 26 and 27 and 2 ahead of time. I will know on Monday. But so far, it looks like 1 phone call and that's it.

Katherine
Don't forget.. If your first day is unavailable (due to callers on previous days), you can't book any portion of your visit. The earlier people can literally book up a room indefinitely.
Because of this, I have already "walked" reservations. I hate doing that, and I don't think it's totally fair to do, but it was my only option.

Carl D

Reaction score
Well, for high demand weeks, you had to book "backwards" so I had to call on the check in date and reserve that day (but could not reserve days after that). Then the next day, to make sure availability was there, you had to call again and reserve the next day (and connect the ressies). I had to do this for EVERY day of the week 52 I wanted to go. That was really really silly.

Katherine
True, but if you were worried about not getting your ressie, thus booking day by day, than under the new system you should be just as worried that the previous days reservations will be taking your reservation.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget.. If your first day is unavailable (due to callers on previous days), you can't book any portion of your visit. The earlier people can literally book up a room indefinitely.
Because of this, I have already "walked" reservations. I hate doing that, and I don't think it's totally fair to do, but it was my only option.

You can only book ahead for a max of 7 days, not indefinitely.

Anyway, back to the original thread.

NEW NEWS: they are offering the best Annual Passes (2 of them) for free IF you purchase on site at DL! This is in addition to all the other goodies (founding members gift, $5 off per point, etc). So DH is actually gonna drive up tomorrow and get the contracts signed in person tomorrow. Luckily I don't have to go with him, which is good because I have to host a party for a bunch of 9 year olds!!

My guide also said that she is selling mostly 500 point contracts right now!!!! :eek: So much for the bad economy...

Katherine

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
...My guide also said that she is selling mostly 500 point contracts right now!!!! :eek: So much for the bad economy...

Katherine

And many of them will end up for resale when people realize they can not afford them. It happens with each resort. Jump starts the resale market which is fine with me.

Carl D

Reaction score
BUT... Since you can tie up 7 days per phone call, you can call every 6th day and "walk" your reservation forward. Nobody can take your room because their first day must be available to start the booking process. Therefore, I can start booking now for Christmas 2015 as long as I'm willing to call every 6th day and move my reservation forward by one week. In the mean time I will lock every Member out of that room for the entire time.
Granted, the above example is exaggerated (although theoretically possible), but people can, and do walk tough to get reservations for a couple of weeks.

FLYNZ4

TUG Member
Reaction score

Anyway, back to the original thread.

NEW NEWS: they are offering the best Annual Passes (2 of them) for free IF you purchase on site at DL! This is in addition to all the other goodies (founding members gift, $5 off per point, etc). So DH is actually gonna drive up tomorrow and get the contracts signed in person tomorrow. Luckily I don't have to go with him, which is good because I have to host a party for a bunch of 9 year olds!!

My guide also said that she is selling mostly 500 point contracts right now!!!! :eek: So much for the bad economy...

Katherine

Katherine,

Carl is correct. Once someone has started walking a reservation... they are virtually guaranteed to get a room for their duration. They can start as early as they want, as long as they have enough points to book 7 days. The only exception to the "guarantee" is if the number of units loaded into inventory change from day to day... which can of course happen for a number of reasons. Still... all indications that walking a reservation should work in almost all cases... especially if you call at 9:00 every morning.

/Jim

wmmmmm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Done. Left credit card information with guide and she'll process paperwork tomorrow. I can only afford 180 points so no premium APs:(

Carl D

Reaction score
especially if you call at 9:00 every morning.
Jim-
Actually, when you combine the fact that you can lock up 7 days in advance with the fact that your 1st day must be available when booking a new reservation, you really only need to call once every week in order to walk (6 days to be super safe). No need to call at MS opening..