• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hertz files for Bankruptcy

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
This is chapter 11 filing. They could convert to chapter 7 but probably doubtful. Companies go through Chapter 11 all the time and come out on the other side still operating.
Other's don't. Their assets or their company is acquired out of BK. Hertz has a problematic business model, and their ability to come out of 11 is uncertain at best. They didn't get into this problem by having a good business model. And the discovery that a LOT of business can be done by video won't help them either, not to mention it being a very competitive business generally.

This is a bit of what Forbes had to say: "It's true that Covid-19 has had an impact on Hertz—as well as an array of other large and small companies—but it was suffering long before we even heard of the coronavirus. Hertz had to contend with tough competition in the car-rental space, in addition to the onslaught from Uber and Lyft. Customers preferred the ease of use with car-sharing apps. There wasn’t a need to take the time to fill out long and one-sided contracts, wait for your car then have to drive it yourself in an unfamiliar location. Compared to this experience, it's much more convenient to open an app, request a ride and get whisked to your location."

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nobody is buying cars right now. Terrible time to flood the market. They won't get what they are worth.
We've all heard of the fall off in new car sales during the past two months, but apparently used car sales have fallen through the floor, especially high mileage late model fleet vehicles.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Other's don't. Their assets or their company is acquired out of BK. Hertz has a problematic business model, and their ability to come out of 11 is uncertain at best. They didn't get into this problem by having a good business model. And the discovery that a LOT of business can be done by video won't help them either, not to mention it being a very competitive business generally.

This is a bit of what Forbes had to say: "It's true that Covid-19 has had an impact on Hertz—as well as an array of other large and small companies—but it was suffering long before we even heard of the coronavirus. Hertz had to contend with tough competition in the car-rental space, in addition to the onslaught from Uber and Lyft. Customers preferred the ease of use with car-sharing apps. There wasn’t a need to take the time to fill out long and one-sided contracts, wait for your car then have to drive it yourself in an unfamiliar location. Compared to this experience, it's much more convenient to open an app, request a ride and get whisked to your location."
It also didn't help that Hertz always seemed to be the most expensive option. In all the years we have traveled we have probably only rented through Hertz twice. Hertz issue was debt, something like twelve billion of it. Perhaps the only thing of value Hertz has is the brand. It is the oldest rental company out there. Their cars are are all collateral for their debt. I would expect the brand name to live on even if they to to Chapter 7. Some other company or equity investor group would step in and buy the company for pennies on the dollar.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
There was an article about a local Scrap metal company buying the cars that burned in the fire and pointing out that hertz is the only one that did not use The local company
Rental cars burned near Southwest Florida
International face new life as scrap metal.

Richard

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
It also didn't help that Hertz always seemed to be the most expensive option. In all the years we have traveled we have probably only rented through Hertz twice.

I was thinking of this the other day. In over 35 years of business and leisure travel I've had a Hertz rental three times and two of those were for business when a corporate travel department had a contract with Hertz. I agree Hertz tends to consistently be the highest option in the car rental business and I've never seen what they offer that others do not also offer at less of a cost to the consumer.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
It also didn't help that Hertz always seemed to be the most expensive option. In all the years we have traveled we have probably only rented through Hertz twice. Hertz issue was debt, something like twelve billion of it. Perhaps the only thing of value Hertz has is the brand. It is the oldest rental company out there. Their cars are are all collateral for their debt. I would expect the brand name to live on even if they to to Chapter 7. Some other company or equity investor group would step in and buy the company for pennies on the dollar.
I don't disagree in general, but I have had very good luck renting from Hertz in Europe...and twice in Hawaii...provided I booked a year in advance, booked at their monthly rate, and used my USAA discount. Getting a vehicle in Spain for less than $200 a month is no bad deal.
My 28-day rental of a Volvo SC60 Auto Transmission in Malagá, Spain next March is costing me 162.21 euros.