• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Here at Westin Ka'anapali for Easter week!

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Hello all,

This is our 7th visit to our favorite resort, Westin Ka'anapali. My DH has had to work all week, so I've had very limited access to the computer (which is actually good for me!). I just wanted to note a few things that have changed since last year's Easter visit before I forget (too many margaritas):

1. Towel cards (reported by Negma earlier this week)

2. Pool breaks, 3x a day, at 10, 12 and 3 at WKORV and 15 minutes later at North. I was told that this was due to "accidents" every week and so they have everyone take regular breaks so that parents can take kids to the bathrooms.

3. Height requirement on the WKORV slide. There is now a minimum height for the slide! We saw a crying boy with his floatie vest on yesterday, being turned away from the slide :( .

4. Jacuzzi signs say for 16 and older! This is not very popular with a lot of people, especially those of us with kids who want to sit with us in the jacuzzi. We can't sit in there without them being near, so I think they are allowed to put their feet in.

5. Easter Egg Scramble was a smaller version of last year's, which was disappointing to our kids. Last year's was at North and this year's was on South's lawn, which is much smaller. Lots of kids in the 7-11 age group, so it was crowded. Last year's was much more fun, lasted longer, and had many more eggs.

Otherwise, weather has been on the windy side, but dry and warm. Today was our first wind-less day. DD10 saw our turtle friend while snorkeling, so she was happy about that :cheer: .

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Thanks for the report. Looking forward to my next trip!

MON2REY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise, does either the North or South unit have computers available for guest use, primarily for checking flight schedules and e-mail? I really don't want to bring my laptop with us. Thanks

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise, does either the North or South unit have computers available for guest use, primarily for checking flight schedules and e-mail? I really don't want to bring my laptop with us. Thanks

Yes, looks like there is at least one computer in the lobby area of North, plus a boarding pass terminal-type printer thing. South has the tiny business center/room, and the boarding pass terminal-type thing is out of order currently. There may be a wait to use the computers, but they are there. There may be another business center at North that I am not aware of.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
A few additional thoughts:

Towel cards no big deal, easier than you think.

We ate at Merrimans up by Kapalua, pricey but very nice.

My wife has been on a "Maui Revealed" kick and we have been exploring the island, went Upland yesterday, we have seen a very beautiful side of the island we have never seen.

The wind the first few days was crazy, but looks better today and it is pool time.

We are here for 5 more days, we are waiting to see if we have to move our room, our requests have been in we will see; last time we were here for two weeks we knew from day 1 there would be no move. We own this week as an island view, but we are overlooking the pirate ship looking right at the ocean, 6th floor, so that worked.

Tonight we are trying the Annabell and Warren show for the first time, reviews to come.

Mahalo

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Negma :hi: ,

Sounds like you are enjoying your week. If you are interested in meeting, let me know. We had a small TUG get-together at the North bar on Wednesday. I couldn't stay long because my DH needed me at the beach with the kids, but it was fun to meet up with the others.

We are here for 7-8 more days. Did you use Staroptions for your extra nights? I just found out last night that we can stay in our villa for the extra week (thank goodness, I was not looking forward to packing and unpacking) :whoopie: .

Last evening, a guest in the main South pool dislocated his shoulder while in the pool. His daughter ran to us (in the jacuzzi), asking for help for her dad. There were very few people in the pools at the time, if any other than us. My DH went to help and stayed with him and helped him out of the pool while a Westin employee called for help. I think the man was going to go to the hospital. He was obviously in a lot of pain.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ouch, no fun.

We are on our way down to the north pool, probably get a cabana facing ocean, we are "spoiled". if you have time stop by, I am in orange (yes its true) and yell for Rick.

fasha39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV,
4. Jacuzzi signs say for 16 and older! This is not very popular with a lot of people, especially those of us with kids who want to sit with us in the jacuzzi. We can't sit in there without them being near, so I think they are allowed to put their feet in.

Looks like DavidnRobin have more influence over the WKORV HOA than they would like to admit:D

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Enjoy your time.

Do you get the green and black beach bag yet? It comes in handy.

Btw, I highly recommend Genki Sushi (sushi boats) that's next door to Laihana Farms. I prefer it over Sensei in Kapalua.

cdn_traveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, KBV, Raintree
Hi Negma and Denise, :hi:

Thank you for the updates and great to hear that you guys are enjoying your time. We can hardly wait for April 26 to arrive. Unfortunately, its another nines day until we will be arriving. Its going to be the looongest nine days ever!

Susan

mepiccolo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates. Do you happen to know what the height requirement is for the slide?

The last time we were there there were lots of small children jumping in and out of the jacuzzi splashing the adults sitting there trying to relax and their parents were either nowhere to be seen or there and not doing anything about the rude behavior of their kids. Unfortunately that's what happens, the bad parenting of some parents have now affected all parents with kids under 16. I have small children but would never let my kids behave this way in total disregard of other people.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Met Denise today, what a nice person, you got to love TUG.

Got the green bag and we have been using it. Room worked out and we do not have to move so once again I am happy.

We have seen whales every day and it is very cool. We are looking forward to coming here one year in March when they are more active.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
4. Jacuzzi signs say for 16 and older!

Looks like DavidnRobin have more influence over the WKORV HOA than they would like to admit:D

I (we) wish. I wouldn't be surprised if others have complained - not to mention the medical liability involved (it is in the USA afterall) - which btw we as Owners are on the hook for if something were to unfortunately happen and the resort gets sued. Last time we couldn't believe that parents were putting their small children (some with swim diapers - yuck!) and even infants in the hot tub - totally unbelievable (actually believable in today's - its' all about me - society). Of course - not Tuggers... ;)

Robin and I were just talking about this a few weeks ago and decided we are going to start speaking-up (nicely) about the no kids in the hot-tub rule (as posted on the signage in small text). I am glad it is posted now so it is noticable - makes it easier to broach the subject. We are there to relax, and not rag on parents for their lack of consideration, or have to get up and leave. I hope it is enforced without me having to bring it up when we are ther next October.

Next - if you are listening WKORV HOA - how about someone cleaning up the cigarette butts that are in the lava rocks by the hot tub (where no smoking is also posted...) - that, of course, no smoker ever admits to tossing on the ground like it's not litter.

yep - getting old and grouchy...

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
weird... duplicate post deleted

we need to go when the whales are there...

Last edited:

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the updates. Do you happen to know what the height requirement is for the slide?

The last time we were there there were lots of small children jumping in and out of the jacuzzi splashing the adults sitting there trying to relax and their parents were either nowhere to be seen or there and not doing anything about the rude behavior of their kids. Unfortunately that's what happens, the bad parenting of some parents have now affected all parents with kids under 16. I have small children but would never let my kids behave this way in total disregard of other people.

Looks to be about 3.5 feet? There is also a sign at the Pirate pool saying that if you are *taller* than the height canoe (probably also 3.5 feet or so), you can't go in. We just noticed that tonight on our walk. I don't think that this rule is heavily enforced. I'm pretty sure there were girls/boys 4-5 feet tall in there the other day.

Jacuzzi rules, whatever. It's not like we sit in there all that much. I won't let it spoil our vacation. The next rule will probably be, no large inflatable floatie things in the pool that run into us when we are in there.

We love the ocean more than the pools!!

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Met Denise today, what a nice person, you got to love TUG.

Got the green bag and we have been using it. Room worked out and we do not have to move so once again I am happy.

We have seen whales every day and it is very cool. We are looking forward to coming here one year in March when they are more active.

:hi: Rick, nice to meet you and your wife! Glad to hear your room worked out...since we are also staying in our same villa, how does it work? Do we just pick up new keys at 10am? Does housekeeping know not to throw out all of our food and clothes when they do the full cleaning :D ? I just did another grocery run to Safeway today. I think we are set for the next week.

Totally awesome weather today, great snorkeling. Resort was supposedly 100% full this week, and 90% next week (WKORV).

readyalready

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, hate the no kids rule. They weren't enforicing it at the end of March. We moved over to the Marriott where kids under 14 must have a parent with them. One of the security guys enforced that one on a very regular basis. When the weather is less than ideal my kids love to warm up for a few minutes and of course are only well behaved. One more reason why the Marriott has edged out WKORV for us...

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I (we) wish. I wouldn't be surprised if others have complained - not to mention the medical liability involved (it is in the USA afterall) - which btw we as Owners are on the hook for if something were to unfortunately happen and the resort gets sued. Last time we couldn't believe that parents were putting their small children (some with swim diapers - yuck!) and even infants in the hot tub - totally unbelievable (actually believable in today's - its' all about me - society). Of course - not Tuggers... ;)

Robin and I were just talking about this a few weeks ago and decided we are going to start speaking-up (nicely) about the no kids in the hot-tub rule (as posted on the signage in small text). I am glad it is posted now so it is noticable - makes it easier to broach the subject. We are there to relax, and not rag on parents for their lack of consideration, or have to get up and leave. I hope it is enforced without me having to bring it up when we are ther next October.

Next - if you are listening WKORV HOA - how about someone cleaning up the cigarette butts that are in the lava rocks by the hot tub (where no smoking is also posted...) - that, of course, no smoker ever admits to tossing on the ground like it's not litter.

yep - getting old and grouchy...

Hey David, I have 2 kids(8 and 12) and luckily they have no interest in the hot tubs, plus I wouldn't let them in anyway.

I've been to Marriott's and Disney's and guess who's in the hot tubs most of the times? Kids!

Just got back from a week at Disney's Vero Beach Resort, never saw an adult in the one hot tub. Full of small kids(some who might still need to be in swim diapers from what I could tell).

I have yet found a resort that does enforce the hot tub rules.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Views from 2nd floor, OFD:

DSC04207.jpg

DSC04208.jpg

DSC04209.jpg

DSC04210.jpg

DSC04211.jpg

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
More view photos

DSC04212.jpg

DSC04213.jpg

DSC04214.jpg

DSC04215.jpg

DSC04216.jpg

DSC04223.jpg

DSC04224.jpg

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like the windows in the OFD studio

DSC04222.jpg

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Cool photos Denise L - are you staying in a OFD or crashed? We stayed on the 3rd floor our first year - 5th and 6th the following years. Those native trees are not the prettiest, but oh well...

We do not let the lack of enforcement of no kids in hot tub rule ruin our vacation - we just get up and leave - which at sometimes is a drag. We use the hot tub to warm up/relax after snorkling (and after rinsing ourselves off in the pool shower).

We don't even use the main pool - and I certainly don't do belly flops in the kiddie pool. :D

Next - HOA - kids out of the Koi pond... :p

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cool photos Denise L - are you staying in a OFD or crashed? We stayed on the 3rd floor our first year - 5th and 6th the following years. Those native trees are not the prettiest, but oh well...

We do not let the lack of enforcement of no kids in hot tub rule ruin our vacation - we just get up and leave - which at sometimes is a drag. We use the hot tub to warm up/relax after snorkling (and after rinsing ourselves off in the pool shower).

We don't even use the main pool - and I certainly don't do belly flops in the kiddie pool. :D

Next - HOA - kids out of the Koi pond... :p

We are in an OFD, 2nd floor for this trip :clap: . Trees are there, but I much prefer this view and the sun to anything North facing with not a hint of sun. Being on the park side is different (1st time in 7 stays), but it is lovely. DH says it doesn't even feel like we are at the resort, it is so quiet over here :D . I'd consider buying an OFD if not for the MFs...eyeing OFC now and wondering if the layout is identical to OV. Lanai looks nice, and the studio gets one, too. Hmm....:rolleyes: .

We've always been on 6, 5 or 4th floors...never 2. Convenient for stairs and parking garage. Really nice!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
B2 has an elevator by the OF units.

I agree - I would rather face south in either B2 or B3. The trees do not bother me and I am glad that they trim them, but not really attractive as trees go (and hate those thorns).

OFC has same floor plan as others - except there is a lanai. I am not sure if they reduce the living space on the studio side to make up for the lanai. I have been in one (visiting neighbors). The lighting is not as good - and no panoramic views like you get on the 1Bd OFD side. The layout is better than the OFC - but those MFs are a drag (mainly they rate of there increase over the last 3 years).

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
B2 has an elevator by the OF units.

I agree - I would rather face south in either B2 or B3. The trees do not bother me and I am glad that they trim them, but not really attractive as trees go (and hate those thorns).

OFC has same floor plan as others - except there is a lanai. I am not sure if they reduce the living space on the studio side to make up for the lanai. I have been in one (visiting neighbors). The lighting is not as good - and no panoramic views like you get on the 1Bd OFD side. The layout is better than the OFC - but those MFs are a drag (mainly they rate of there increase over the last 3 years).

We thought that there would be an elevator at the front of Bldg 3, also, but since there is no arcade/fitness room, there isn't one. Fine with me. After eating way too many cookies (gotta love the full-size oven :D ) and other things I don't eat at home, I need the stairs.

So David, you own OFD float? Which Bldg do you request and like better for your ownership?