• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help with windows replacement decision

davhu1

Reaction score
Please help with windows replacement decision. There so many companies and windows out there, its so hard to make a decision. The price quoted for the different windows we are considering are within ~$1,000 or each other or ~7% of the cost of the job. These windows include Okna 500, Simonton Platimum, Simonton 5500, Alside Sheffield. After reviewing price quotes, windows performances and warranty, the bottom line comes to the window installer. Who would you pick?

1. Larger window replacement company in business since 1996. Owner will come to do actual measurement. Large crew can finish job in a day. Appear to be a good installer with busy schedule. Fairy responsive. Found thru advertisement on local paper .
2. Smaller company in business since 2005. One of the partners gave the estimate and will send an employee to do actual estimate. More technical knowlegeble as far as describing windows performance. Job will take 1-2 days. Found thru internet forum who frequently provide feedback on questions with windows replacement.
3. Smaller home construction and remodeling contractor. In business since 1997. Owner provided the estimate and is not as clear on code requirements and will verify before signing contract. Smaller crew and job will take 2-3 days. Contractor goes to the same church as the neighbor and replaced his windows.

All have satisfactory rating with Better Business Bureau. Who would you pick? (assume number of days to replace is not a factor)

Thanks

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've not heard of any of those brands so I cannot comment on them. We've replaced our windows and far and away my favorite brand is Pella. I got the between panes blinds (no dusting :D ) and the pull down screens (no storing of bulky screens--they just roll out of sight when not in use). I wish I had them on all my windows but they were very expensive and we couldn't afford them everywhere. We replaced our windows one room at a time as we could afford it and I wish we had gone with Pella from the start. I would also go with the company's official installers as the installation will be guaranteed, not just the window itself. A great window poorly installed is not what you want.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would focus on the proposed details on installation with emphasis on insulation. You can assume every contractor with an ounce of experience can install a window. For warrantee, any problems won't appear for at least 5-10 years out when (and if) the window starts to fog. By that time the contractor is long gone. Moreover, it will become a fight over responsibility. The contractor will say the window failed and the manufacturer will say it was improperly installed. Net result no resolution.

The names of the manufacturers you are considering are meaningless to me. I would look at the specific window design and go with the best design irrespective of who made it. Materials of construction are the most important criteria. Climate will eliminate some designs. Vinyl is the low-end product and has little strength compared to other materials. Moreover, it will deteriorate with UV sunlight over time. As an example, Pella sells vinyl windows at Lowe's but in most cases doesn't even sell vinyl in its own brand-name facilities.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
DH just replaced a number of our windows. We spent a lot of time looking at windows and also decided that vinyl is not for us. We ended up buying Andersen replacements at Home Depot. DH is an advanced Do it yourselfer and the actual installation was a snap. It was the finishing that took time. I think anyone who has done one of these projects in the past can do it for you. But you want to be sure that the finished job is actually finished.

If you have a recommendation from someone whose opinion you trust, you can go with the recommendation.

I would really suggest that you take the time to find the windows that you want and then hire someone to put them in.

Sue

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
The perfect replacement for Windows is of course a Mac. You won't want or need windows if you buy a Mac. And you need not worry about measurements or contractors. Just go down to the Apple store and make an appointment with a Genius, and they will tell you which ones to buy.

-David

cathyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go with Pella Windows. Number one is customer satisfaction.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
The perfect replacement for Windows is of course a Mac. You won't want or need windows if you buy a Mac. And you need not worry about measurements or contractors. Just go down to the Apple store and make an appointment with a Genius, and they will tell you which ones to buy.

-David

:hysterical: Good one, David!

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score

-David

Don't sit in the dark all alone! Open Windows and see the light! :D