• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help with Villa Group Contract - 1st Time Purchase

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
My husband & I just returned from Puerto Vallarta. Like many others, we did not expect to buy into a vacation program and have questioned the costs involved over the last couple of days. I found Tugbbs when doing some research on our way back home. I read several of the articles but am having trouble finding some of your original threads so I can compare to our contract. We signed our contract on April 11th, so we are still within the rescind timeframe.

The contract we signed is for 1000 anytime/yearly points, with an additional 1000 points to be used during the summer season. We were also given unlimited getaway weeks. Maint. Fee is $435. The purchase price is $16,675, which I'm guessing is retail based on some of the posts I've read.

We are a married couple in our mid forties with 2 children in their 20's. We will primarily travel without the kids due to them being in college and our schedules, however, there will be times they will join us. We tend to travel in March/April due to my husband's job. Eventually, we hope to travel more in the winter months. We usually take 1 trip a year but hope to travel more in the future.

We love the idea of the The Villa Group and it seems to be a great group to join. Our main concerns are if we paid too much (probably yes) and the exchange program. We have visited Cabo, Cancun and now Puerto Vallarta and do see ourselves traveling back. We are interested in traveling to other locations like Belize, Costa Rica and other Caribbean destinations so were hesitant if we would be able to find anything in those locations without having to book out years in advance. We also have spent a great number of our vacations on the Florida Gulf Coast and know that would be a place we would like to frequent as well.

I have emailed the rescind letter today in order to make sure we are wihtin the 5 business day time period as we signed on April 11th. I have been contacted back from our salesman asking us why we decided to cancel. We liked our salesman and had an overall good experience. I'm assuming they would want to maybe negotiate with us before we cancelled. I have not replied to him as of yet.

I wanted to reach out to you since to get your input and to see if you also agree with the cancellation based on the terms we were given. We would be open to purchase a resale option as well if we can find one.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
absolutely rescind...you just saved yourself nearly 17,000 bucks.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I don't believe that emailing the rescission letter will do it; you'll need to send it registered or certified with return receipt in order to have proof that it got to the appropriate people as listed in the contract. Take the time to read exactly what it tells you to do to rescind in the contract itself because the salesman will not do it for you. There is no doubt they want to continue to negotiate; the completion of the sale is a prerequisite to their commission. As a result, if you rely on them finishing the process for you, you'll be on the wrong side of getting it done.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
I don't believe that emailing the rescission letter will do it; you'll need to send it registered or certified with return receipt in order to have proof that it got to the appropriate people as listed in the contract. Take the time to read exactly what it tells you to do to rescind in the contract itself because the salesman will not do it for you. There is no doubt they want to continue to negotiate; the completion of the sale is a prerequisite to their commission. As a result, if you rely on them finishing the process for you, you'll be on the wrong side of getting it done.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

You should rescind and you should make certain that your rescission is done properly; you have $17,000 on the line.

Your salesman is not your friend and his goals are directly adverse to yours. He will try to string you out to the point that the rescission period has passed. He is a pro. You must be strategic.

I don't know the details of rescinding Mexican timeshares and Others may have direct experience. The critical thing is to follow the rescission instructions EXACTLY.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
One of the options in the contract to cancel was to email. I did include all of the email addresses I could find, both in my contract and on the welcome email I received. I believe it was a total of 4 contacts. I can certainly send the letter tomorrow as a follow up to avoid any potential issues. Thank you for the replies!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None

Thanks Bill! If we don't need a 2 bedroom every year, can you swap for a smaller unit to gain more weeks? This is all new to me so any additional information is appreciated?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Bill! If we don't need a 2 bedroom every year, can you swap for a smaller unit to gain more weeks? This is all new to me so any additional information is appreciated?

There are many things you can do with a UVC two bedroom gold contract. The maintenance fee is not that much higher for the 2 bedroom over the one bedroom. This really helps when exchanging, renting and for reservations. Most UVC owners do not realize that each type of unit has an inventory at all of the resorts. Most owners have a studio or one bedroom. This leaves many two bedroom units open as UVC can only take reservations for the inventory allotted to each membership. The gold members can also split the two bedroom into a two week stay. One week in a one bedroom and one week in a studio but gold members can also upgrade so the second week studio often becomes a one bedroom. A winter week can reserve a summer week with no up charge. A gold contract can reserve a bonus week for the maintenance fee.

In my opinion, a two bedroom gold is the best of UVC. That is why I was considering buying this. My wife says I have too many weeks right now and she wants me to sell one to buy one. I'm pretty much balanced out right now. I have three UVC premiere contracts and probably don't need another even though I wouldn't mind having another.

Bill

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
There are many things you can do with a UVC two bedroom gold contract. The maintenance fee is not that much higher for the 2 bedroom over the one bedroom. This really helps when exchanging, renting and for reservations. Most UVC owners do not realize that each type of unit has an inventory at all of the resorts. Most owners have a studio or one bedroom. This leaves many two bedroom units open as UVC can only take reservations for the inventory allotted to each membership. The gold members can also split the two bedroom into a two week stay. One week in a one bedroom and one week in a studio but gold members can also upgrade so the second week studio often becomes a one bedroom. A winter week can reserve a summer week with no up charge. A gold contract can reserve a bonus week for the maintenance fee.

In my opinion, a two bedroom gold is the best of UVC. That is why I was considering buying this. My wife says I have too many weeks right now and she wants me to sell one to buy one. I'm pretty much balanced out right now. I have three UVC premiere contracts and probably don't need another even though I wouldn't mind having another.

Bill

Thank you again! This would work for our family now and in the future for our kids’ family. What is a good rule of thumb to follow for pricing? Also, I have received the following response from my cancellation email:

This is Alberto Sicairos, just confirming that I have received your email notice of cancellation.
I wish to ask you, is there anything we can do on our end to keep your business?
If not, I’ll make sure our verification manager will be in contact with to follow up on your request soon.
Thank you and good afternoon

Is this sufficient for me to reply to move forward with the cancellation or do you recommend to send the registered letter tomorrow as well?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The price of the ebay listing was at $1.00 bid + $250 transfer fee. This could go as high as $1500 bid + $250 transfer fee. This listing includes the 2018 maintenance fee and usage worth $954. The last one I bought was a two bedroom premiere for $1 + $100 transfer fee. I also received the maintenance fee and years usage. When it was transferred into my name I banked the week with the resort and rented it for about $1600. This ebay listing is a very good buy, imo.

Yes on sending the letter, fax, email and any other way to communicate you have cancelled. Do not tell them you are going to buy resale or give them any reason for canceling. Just "I want to cancel ".

Bill

JayMalotti

Reaction score
My husband & I just returned from Puerto Vallarta. Like many others, we did not expect to buy into a vacation program and have questioned the costs involved over the last couple of days. I found Tugbbs when doing some research on our way back home. I read several of the articles but am having trouble finding some of your original threads so I can compare to our contract. We signed our contract on April 11th, so we are still within the rescind timeframe.

The contract we signed is for 1000 anytime/yearly points, with an additional 1000 points to be used during the summer season. We were also given unlimited getaway weeks. Maint. Fee is $435. The purchase price is $16,675, which I'm guessing is retail based on some of the posts I've read.

We are a married couple in our mid forties with 2 children in their 20's. We will primarily travel without the kids due to them being in college and our schedules, however, there will be times they will join us. We tend to travel in March/April due to my husband's job. Eventually, we hope to travel more in the winter months. We usually take 1 trip a year but hope to travel more in the future.

We love the idea of the The Villa Group and it seems to be a great group to join. Our main concerns are if we paid too much (probably yes) and the exchange program. We have visited Cabo, Cancun and now Puerto Vallarta and do see ourselves traveling back. We are interested in traveling to other locations like Belize, Costa Rica and other Caribbean destinations so were hesitant if we would be able to find anything in those locations without having to book out years in advance. We also have spent a great number of our vacations on the Florida Gulf Coast and know that would be a place we would like to frequent as well.

I have emailed the rescind letter today in order to make sure we are wihtin the 5 business day time period as we signed on April 11th. I have been contacted back from our salesman asking us why we decided to cancel. We liked our salesman and had an overall good experience. I'm assuming they would want to maybe negotiate with us before we cancelled. I have not replied to him as of yet.

I wanted to reach out to you since to get your input and to see if you also agree with the cancellation based on the terms we were given. We would be open to purchase a resale option as well if we can find one.

I never pay retail for a timeshare cause you can find them online for about 80% less on the resale market. Look on eBay, and I will look it up for you also.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Thank you everyone for your advice. I have successfully canceled my contract. I am so thankful that I found Tugbbs!!

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold
For those that follow such things.
A Winter Two Bedroom Gold UVC membership sold this week (4/20/18) on eBay for $2,551.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123068572098?ul_noapp=true (not sure how long this link will survive).

First one I've seen in a long while come up. Seems not that long ago we were snapping them up for a buck a piece.

Safe travels.

bbb

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For those that follow such things.
A Winter Two Bedroom Gold UVC membership sold this week (4/20/18) on eBay for $2,551.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123068572098?ul_noapp=true (not sure how long this link will survive).

First one I've seen in a long while come up. Seems not that long ago we were snapping them up for a buck a piece.

Safe travels.

bbb

Hi Bob !!! I thought about buying that one and linked it for the op. Kind of rare and decent deal at $2500 with the 2018 week and closing costs included. I thought if the price went high enough I might sell some of mine. Many of these 2 bedroom contracts are listed at Redweek for over $14,000 and the rentals seem to be up to $400 a night.

I traded my 2017 UVC weeks and picked up a couple of Palm Desert and Sedona weeks for next winter. We also lucked out on a couple of ocean front penthouse weeks in Mexico for late 2018.

With all of the noise about Mexico in the media I expect to see more of these show up.

Bill

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Villa group
Thank you everyone for your advice. I have successfully canceled my contract. I am so thankful that I found Tugbbs!!

Hi, can you please provide the address where you send your letter? I would like to cancel my contract as well and tomorrow is the last the of rescission period. thank you so much!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi, can you please provide the address where you send your letter? I would like to cancel my contract as well and tomorrow is the last the of rescission period. thank you so much!

The address you are looking for should be in your paperwork. It kind of depends what you bought and where you bought it. Regardless of where you bought it you should email the resort where you bought it with a cancellation communication and send the letter. The email will prove you cancelled within the rescission period. Call your credit card company and let them know you canceled this within the rescission period.

Bill

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Villa group
The address you are looking for should be in your paperwork. It kind of depends what you bought and where you bought it. Regardless of where you bought it you should email the resort where you bought it with a cancellation communication and send the letter. The email will prove you cancelled within the rescission period. Call your credit card company and let them know you canceled this within the rescission period.

Bill
Thank you for your reply! I bought the membership in Oct. 06, 2018 at Villa del Palmar Flamingos. Do you think I am still within the rescission period if I cancel it today? I emailed the verification person. I haven’t received any response. Should I email it to every person that’s in the contract?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for your reply! I bought the membership in Oct. 06, 2018 at Villa del Palmar Flamingos. Do you think I am still within the rescission period if I cancel it today? I emailed the verification person. I haven’t received any response. Should I email it to every person that’s in the contract?

Yes, you are fine regarding the time allowed. Yes, email the cancellation to every one as it shows your intent to cancel within the rescission period. Send a letter by mail as soon as you can. The post stamp will show the date it was sent which is the legal date for rescission. Be sure to contact your credit card company to dispute any pending charges for this purchase.

Don't be surprised if there is no response from UVCI. They are under no obligation to respond to you other than to cancel the contract. You might get a letter saying the contract is cancelled. I didn't get any response when I canceled a Mexico contract from the resort but I did get a response from my VISA card company saying the charges were not paid.

Good Luck and maybe become a paid member of Tug for $15 if you are not.

Bill

rsheppard71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group

Hey there. I know this is years later and I really hope you are still receiving replies.
What was the email address you sent your rescind letter to? Did you just email your sales person or was it a company department email address?
Really hope you reply!! Thanks

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hey there. I know this is years later and I really hope you are still receiving replies.
What was the email address you sent your rescind letter to? Did you just email your sales person or was it a company department email address?
Hi @rsheppard71
welcome to TUG

The person who started this thread was last on TUG in 2018 .

1 )You have 5 days to rescind a Mexican purchase .

2 )You should send rescinds by mail and get a receipt.Make a copy for youself & make sure it is signed by all who signed the contract.
Doing email.only may not be sufficient.

3 ) Do not contact the salesperson

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
And use REGISTERED mail when rescinding a Mexican purchase.......

Get that Postmark within five days of purchase.

Moonster

Reaction score
Hey,

Check out my thread, there's alot of useful information on addition to what other users have posted. Also get your cancellation and proof of cancellation done ASAP, I would start out by searching your contract for any listed email addresses and send a copy to all aswell send a CC to PROFECO for evidentiary purposes(email can be found in my thread). I would also send via registered mail for good measure to the mailing address listed on your contract.

Come take a look at my thread, and if you have any questions at all please feel free to direct any questions you may have to me on there.

Good luck, if you play your cards right you should be able to get your money back.