• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help with making my first booking

patrickg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am just about to take ownership of an Odd EOY 2br platinum week at Ko Olina. I hope to have the closing finalised by the end of this month (sale was made through Jessica Burke, who was recommended by TUG)

I will have ownership rights starting in 2009. We do not want to use the week at Ko Olina during 2009, but instead want to exchange for a week at one of the Spanish Marriot's

Ideally, we would like to exchange into a week in July or August 2009 in Spain.

Will I have any trouble achieving this? I assume that once my sale has completed, I will then book with Ko Olina for a week some time in 2009 (should I try for a time prior to when I am planning on exchanging into in Spain-or does that not matter?)Then once I have joined II I contact them and say I have a week booked at Ko Olina, and I want to exchange for the week in Spain?

I just want to make sure if I were to book a week in say September at Ko Olina, will I still be able to exchange into a week in July in Spain

This site provided me with a lot of assistance in getting to this stage, and now I feel I am nearly there!

Thanks in advance

Patrick

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Although Hawaii is considered Platinum year-round, some weeks are in higher demand than others. Once you get your final paperwork you can join II and access their demand index for the resort. Try to book one of the more popular weeks (hence higher trading power) directly with Marriott, and then deposit the week into II and place an on-going request for the summer Spain week. Since you have a wide range of acceptable weeks, you have a good chance of getting what you want.

fyi- Fall weeks are generally less in demand at Ko'Olina, so if you can book a winter or summer week you will have better trading power, although it has great trading power year-round.

Congrats on purchasing a great resort!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree - with one clarification. You can start planning now for which Maui weeks have the highest trade value by accessing the Travel Demand Index on the II site. Go to www.IntervalWorld.com and find the page - in the Resort Directory - for your resort. Then click on the Travel Demand Index on the right side of that page and prioritize the weeks you will want to reserve based on which ones have the highest index rating.

Once Marriott recognizes you as an owner, call Marriott Owner Services to start down your prioritized list to reserve a week.

patrickg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, I will start doing some research

Should I join II now, or wait until our sale completes? Does it take long to process membership, and is it based on a calendar year?

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Patrick,
Your deposit will be good from the time you deposit until two years after the reservation date of your deposit. For example, if you reserve Sept. 4, 2009 and deposit that week with II, you will be able to use that deposit now through Sept. 4 2011.

As advised, book as strong a week as possible, but also make sure it matches your travel plans in the future. For instance, if you must travel spring break week 11 each year because of school-aged children, it may not be the smartest thing to book week 10 just because it is a bit stronger trading week.

If you were to book week 11 instead, you will be able to use that deposit for a spring break trade (week 11) TWO years from now. Think about trading power AND flexibilty for the future when making reservations and deposits.

Good Luck

Terry

patrickg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Terry, I will have to get to know the US school year as being an Australian living in Dubai I am a bit lost on that!

We can pretty much take holidays as we please, so as long as the weather suits us we will be fine

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the information, I will start doing some research

Should I join II now, or wait until our sale completes? Does it take long to process membership, and is it based on a calendar year?

You cannot join II until you have a timeshare to register with them. That means you have to have completed your Marriott ownership. Generally as soon as you get your Marriott number you can call II and join and it takes a day or so for them to verify your ownership, if I remember correctly.

Membership runs 1 year from the date you join (unless you join for multiple years).

Bill4728

Reaction score
Is Ko Olina a lockoff or do you have to deposit the whole 2BR?

That a good question.

You may be able to lock-off your 2 bd into a 1 bd & studio. Then trade the 1 bd for your trip to spain. If you're able to do that ( trade the 1bd for a 2bd in spain) you'd still have your studio for another trade.

patrickg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow I hadn't even considered that. Yes it is a lock off. What if I deposit the 1br side of the lockoff but cannot manage to trade into Spain? Can I then change it to depositing the whole 2br? Should I be trying to lockoff and deposit them separately with a hope of getting 2 weeks in Spain? Does II guide you in this sort of thing?

Cheers

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You have to lock-off through Marriott, for a fee of $75. Once you have locked off and deposited a 1BR and a studio unit, you cannot recombine the villa for trading purposes.

I think the units in Spain are 2BR's but someone else will have to verify that. If that is the case, your 1BR Ko'Olina will likely pull the trade, but the studio is unlikely to pull a 2BR in prime time except closer in or perhaps only during Flexchange (59 days or less before travel).

patrickg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have just learned that my deed has been rejected because it was only in my name! They are saying I have to go through the whole process of notarizing again and to have my wifes name added. What if I don't want her on the deed? What if I didn't have a wife?

Has anybody else had this happen?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
In CA at least (b/c community property state) title companies require your spouse to either be on deed or execute a quit claim deed as to her interest (if any) for any real property transaction. She should be able to do this here (or does she not know...:shrug: )

patrickg

TUG Member
Reaction score
In CA at least (b/c community property state) title companies require your spouse to either be on deed or execute a quit claim deed as to her interest (if any) for any real property transaction. She should be able to do this here (or does she not know...:shrug: )

Yes she knows! The issue is that I have already gone and had the forms notarized, and now they want both of us to go and have the docs notarized again. This is further cost, but more importantly as we live in Dubai, this is not a straightforward process ,as you have to go through the courts. I cannot understand why in America you have to have your wife as part owner of everything. Does this mean a single person cannot buy a timeshare?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes she knows! The issue is that I have already gone and had the forms notarized, and now they want both of us to go and have the docs notarized again. This is further cost, but more importantly as we live in Dubai, this is not a straightforward process ,as you have to go through the courts. I cannot understand why in America you have to have your wife as part owner of everything. Does this mean a single person cannot buy a timeshare?

Single people can purchase a timeshare, but US law grants spouses many rights, and in many states there is the concept of community property; laws ensure that souses have a vested interest in what is owned. In effect, Marriott is legally making sure your wife realizes she will not have ownership rights to something which may be paid for out of marital funds.

patrickg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Single people can purchase a timeshare, but US law grants spouses many rights, and in many states there is the concept of community property; laws ensure that souses have a vested interest in what is owned. In effect, Marriott is legally making sure your wife realizes she will not have ownership rights to something which may be paid for out of marital funds.

Ok I get that, but why would the closing company not have told me this from the start (Duncan Realty used by Jessica Burke). It cost me $300 and several hours of my time to have my deed notarised here in Dubai. Now I am told that is no good I must have my wife sign and notarised. I have told them I refuse. I am happy to have my wife sign-no issue, but I am not spending more money and time on this. Bearing in mind the current state of the US I could probably buy another identical property for several thousand less. Can I easily cancel at this stage and get a full refund?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I am actually a bit confused now. If you are BUYING the TS you do not sign the deed, the seller does. Generally, title co and lender require buyer's spouse to execute a quit claim deed disclaiming their interest if deed is to be in only one spouse's name. Did you buy title insurance? Who rejected your deed?

patrickg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am actually a bit confused now. If you are BUYING the TS you do not sign the deed, the seller does. Generally, title co and lender require buyer's spouse to execute a quit claim deed disclaiming their interest if deed is to be in only one spouse's name. Did you buy title insurance? Who rejected your deed?

The recorders office (whoever they are) rejected the deed. The deed was signed by me as buyer, as well as the seller. The closing company has never mentioned a quit claim deed, or title insurance.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Purchasing via developer

Geez, after reading this thread, it seems that there indeed is an advantage to purchasing directly through developer. We purchased Marriott @ Canyon Villa and had zero issues. I know, I know, we should have bought resale but who knew? Still and all, I'm thrilled we found TUG! Thanks Tuggers!