• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help with GMAIL setup

kjsgrammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, I admit it - I'm a complete moron when it comes to computers. We just set up a GMAIL account and I cannot seem to get my "contacts" set up correctly. In our previous email account thru our cable provider, when composing an email, all I had to do was go to the address book and click on who I wanted to send a message to - if more than one person, just click on as many as I wanted and the names would show up in the "TO" line. With GMAIL, I can't figure out how to do that. It won't allow me to just click on the "TO" and have a contact list come up.

Also, I've sent emails out to all my friends/family using the GMAIL account, and not all of them are showing up in "contacts". We have not been able to import our previous email address book (trouble with our old computer), so I have been sending individual emails to everyone I know and hoping that when they respond to the GMAIL address that it would automatically include them in our contact list. But that's not happening.

I sure hope all of this makes sense and that someone can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong. I read such good reports about GMAIL in other posts from TUGger's and talked my husband into going with GMAIL. He'll have a fit if he can't easily send emails to his golfing buddies!!

Thanks for any help from the TUGgers that use GMAIL.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
If you already have contacts, you can do a few things. There are probably other ways, but these are the ways I do it.

1. Don't click Compose, but click Contacts. Select each person you want to email and then click the EMAIL link that pops up to the right of your contacts list.
  2. Click compose and then just start typing the first few letters of the person's first or last name. A list populates with matching contacts. Select and go.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help you, but one of the best things about gmail is that it works with any email program, if you configure it to do that. You have to turn on pop or imap support in gmail settings using the web interface, then follow the instructions to configure your email program.

If you're using outlook or thunderbird, you simply add another email account, and you can either use your existing contacts or import them into that email program.

Once they are imported, I do what BT said. Type a few letters of the persons name and a pop-up appears with a list of matches.

Anyway, that's why gmail is better, besides having the best anti-spam filter of any of the free emails.

-Davd

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but here's another Gmail question. Is there a way to request a read-receipt? I use Gmail for my business and that's the one feature I can't seem to find and the ONLY thing I miss about Outlook Express.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but here's another Gmail question. Is there a way to request a read-receipt? I use Gmail for my business and that's the one feature I can't seem to find and the ONLY thing I miss about Outlook Express.

If you didn't mean to hijack the thread then you shouldn't have hijacked the thread!!!!! :D :D :D So now I feel totally justified in hijacking your hijack.

I have my e-mail set to alert me before sending read receipts, and I never approve sending a read receipt to the sender. It isn't any of the senders business to know when and whether I've read their e-mail.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have my e-mail set to alert me before sending read receipts, and I never approve sending a read receipt to the sender. It isn't any of the senders business to know when and whether I've read their e-mail.

Well, it may be the sender's business to know if I've read their email. I consider it to be like certified (snail) mail.

That said, read receipts are dangerous, and I also have my email client set to alert me. Lots of spammers use read receipts to find out if they have a valid email address. If they get a receipt, you're on a permanent spam list. But I'll usually go ahead and allow the receipt if I know the sender.

-Bob

kjsgrammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help with composing - now I have a couple more questions.

If I delete a message ("conversation" as gmail refers to them), it appears to delete the message from both my inbox and sent mail, correct? I cleaned out my inbox today and then went to my sent mail, and nothing was there! Of course, I had already permanently deleted everything from the trash, so couldn't get anything back (that will teach me not to be so quick to permanently delete anything!!). Anyway, I should just archive everything instead of deleting, correct?

Also, can't I set up a group: for instance, create a group for "golfers" and put the names of all contacts that we would normally send a message out to? When I tried to do this, I clicked on the contacts I wanted in the group, then clicked on "GROUP" and I keep getting a message in my information line saying something about "scripted messages". I know I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure this one out.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I should just archive everything instead of deleting, correct?

yes, just archive everything (actually, let gmail archive everything.) You don't have to do anything, but there are some settings you might want to enable depending on if you want it auto-archived after you read it or not.

Also, can't I set up a group: for instance, create a group for "golfers" and put the names of all contacts that we would normally send a message out to? When I tried to do this, I clicked on the contacts I wanted in the group, then clicked on "GROUP" and I keep getting a message in my information line saying something about "scripted messages". I know I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure this one out.

It still sounds like you are still using the web interface rather than a real email program.

-David

Last edited:

Autoeng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help with composing - now I have a couple more questions.

If I delete a message ("conversation" as gmail refers to them), it appears to delete the message from both my inbox and sent mail, correct? I cleaned out my inbox today and then went to my sent mail, and nothing was there! Of course, I had already permanently deleted everything from the trash, so couldn't get anything back (that will teach me not to be so quick to permanently delete anything!!). Anyway, I should just archive everything instead of deleting, correct?

Gmail is trying to run a script (popup window) so you can name the list. Look at the top of the window just below the address bar and you should see a yellow bar that says "This Website is using a scripted window, blah, blah, blah". Click on that and select "Temporarily allow popups". Then select the Group button again. You will get a popup to name the group. Easy, peasy.

kjsgrammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help you, but one of the best things about gmail is that it works with any email program, if you configure it to do that. You have to turn on pop or imap support in gmail settings using the web interface, then follow the instructions to configure your email program.

If you're using outlook or thunderbird, you simply add another email account, and you can either use your existing contacts or import them into that email program.

Once they are imported, I do what BT said. Type a few letters of the persons name and a pop-up appears with a list of matches.

Anyway, that's why gmail is better, besides having the best anti-spam filter of any of the free emails.

-Davd

David: I'm obviously still doing something wrong as I can't seem to configure Outlook properly. :crash: I'm confused on when you say "If you're using outlook or thunderbird, you simply add another email account". Where do I do this? I tried following gmail instructions for setting up Outlook (the IMAP config instructions), but when I get to the very last step and hit finish, nothing happens and it takes me back to the start of configuring Outlook for gmail. (Hope this part makes sense).

I'm hoping I'm not going to have to contact the "GEEK SQUAD" and pay big bucks because I've screwed up our new laptop!!

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where the issue is.

In gmail, you went to settings and enabled imap, and hit 'save change'? On that same page, there's a link to email client configuration instructions. Did you follow that? Are you using outlook or outlook express?

In my version of outlook (the latest one), email accounts is under the the tools menu.

Try to be specific about what you are doing and where the problem is.

-David

Last edited:

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Gmail Tips

Regarding Deleting - I hardly ever delete anything from gmail, not unless I know it is complete junk (but not spam). One of the ongoing things my mom & I have a tiff about is that she will not leave aol mail. But she's also always complaining about not being able to find this or that that she knows she has an email about. Whenever anything comes up that I've easily been able to find because of gmails search feature, I'm sure to point it out to her. As an example... The other day, she said she found a piece of paper with my writing with a name & address on it, do I need it? Well, the name sounded vaguely familiar, but didn't come immediately to mind. So, I searched my gmail and lo and behold there was the name and address for a prize winner from a charity benefit we both worked on over a year ago. Ta Da! And, no, I don't need the scrap of paper.

Notes & Messages - This really applies to any email, but I seem to do it more with gmail than previous... No more written messages for DH! If he gets a call when he isn't home (he works from home when not on the road), I tell the caller that I don't take written messages for him, to please send him an email - with the blackberry and all, it really is the best way to reach him, and no scraps of paper to get lost. Better than vmail because you can take the time to compose what you want to say and there's always a record of it. "Oh yes, I sent you an email on March 12th" not "Didn't you get my voicemail? Oh, I said the number too fast so you couldn't understand it?" I also maintain a notes "conversation" with things like frequent flyer numbers in it - easily accessibly by me, even when not at home.

I don't bother with contact lists, as gmail seems to always know (within 2-3 letters) who I am typing into the To box. Although, for a big mailing list, it would be worth setting up.

Filters are your friends! I put all my freecycle emails into their own filter. I get upwards of 100 of those a day. It makes it a lot easier to scan for items, or delete them en masse if I don't have time to deal with it.

kjsgrammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replies. We've got a computer friend coming over to take a look at it later this week, so hopefully he can figure it out (even though he doesn't have gmail). I tried telling him over the phone what was going on, but he said it should have worked with what I entered/configured. I made sure I had no typo's, like spelling gmail as "gmal", or something similar, but everything was entered just as instructions indicated.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would double check to make sure you set up the correct port numbers. From the instructions:

* Incoming server must be 993, and must use SSL encryption.
* Outgoing server can use 587, TLS encryption.

It's under "more settings" on the "advanced" pane, and when you change the protocols to SSL and TLS using the pull-down menus, it changes the port numbers back to the defaults, so you have to make sure the port numbers you entered are still there. If you changed them first, you have to re-enter them. I just noticed that when I was looking at where that was in my outlook setup. I had the outgoing port setup wrong, and fixed it, so I entered 587 in the port number box and then changed the protocol to TLS, and when I did that, it changed the port number field back to 25.

Once you do that, there's a button to test the connection. At least there is in my version of outlook, which is the latest version. It sends a test email using that connection.

This is actually easier to do in thunderbird. Thunderbird has a selection for "gmail" when you add a new email account. But outlook should be just fine also. There's nothing wrong with using outlook.

-David

Last edited:

kjsgrammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would double check to make sure you set up the correct port numbers. From the instructions:

* Incoming server must be 993, and must use SSL encryption.
* Outgoing server can use 587, TLS encryption.

It's under "more settings" on the "advanced" pane, and when you change the protocols to SSL and TLS using the pull-down menus, it changes the port numbers back to the defaults, so you have to make sure the port numbers you entered are still there. If you changed them first, you have to re-enter them. I just noticed that when I was looking at where that was in my outlook setup. I had the outgoing port setup wrong, and fixed it, so I entered 587 in the port number box and then changed the protocol to TLS, and when I did that, it changed the port number field back to 25.

Once you do that, there's a button to test the connection. At least there is in my version of outlook, which is the latest version. It sends a test email using that connection.

This is actually easier to do in thunderbird. Thunderbird has a selection for "gmail" when you add a new email account. But outlook should be just fine also. There's nothing wrong with using outlook.

-David

David: Yes, checked the port setup under the "advanced" tab. I'm using Outlook 2003 and the setting for that is 993 for IMAP and 465 for SMTP. When I hit "ok", instead of providing me with the button for the "test the connection", it just takes me back to the IMAP settings page, which has the information I've already entered for User Information, Server Information and Logon Information. If I go thru the different tabs, everything is as I've entered it, but when I power down the laptop at night, and go back into all the settings the next day and check the info under each tab, the only one that doesn't retain the info is the "Advanced" tab.

When I do access Outlook initially each time, there is a line under "MAIL -Favorite Folders" that is: "Inbox in imap.gmail.com" with an envelope and folder icon. But when I click on that, I get a message "there are no items to show in this view". So I'm not sure if I've set it up and for some reason nothing is getting forwarded to Outlook from the GMAIL interface (did I word that right??), or maybe I just don't understand how this is all supposed to work? Luckily, I can get to emails via going thru google and hitting the GMAIL button there and reading them and responding.

I really appreciate the suggestions and replies to my questions. Just need to get this all set up before we head to Florida in two weeks and our existing email thru our cable company is cancelled!

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
ok, I think I know what's going on. You have to click on the + sign next to your gmail account, and open the folder named Inbox.

Try that and see if it works. I get the same thing as you when I just click on the account name, because there really is nothing to display there. But when I click on the + sign, I see several folders. Inbox is the normal place where all incoming mail goes. If you have filters and labels setup, you should see a folder named for each label also. If you click on the gmail folder, you will see a folder named "All mail", which is where everything else lives that you've already read and archived on gmail.

Try that and try sending an email from that account using outlook and see if it's all working now.

-David

Last edited:

kjsgrammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
ok, I think I know what's going on. You have to click on the + sign next to your gmail account, and open the folder named Inbox.

Try that and see if it works. I get the same thing as you when I just click on the account name, because there really is nothing to display there. But when I click on the + sign, I see several folders. Inbox is the normal place where all incoming mail goes. If you have filters and labels setup, you should see a folder named for each label also. If you click on the gmail folder, you will see a folder named "All mail", which is where everything else lives that you've already read and archived on gmail.

Try that and try sending an email from that account using outlook and see if it's all working now.

-David

David: Tried that also, but nothing shows up except the message: There are no items to show in this view. Guess I'll have to wait until our friend shows up later this week to try and fix whatever I did wrong. Thanks for all the suggestions in trying to get this resolved.

kjsgrammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got It!!!

I did get my messages to show up in Outlook!! The protocol settings are still not being saved for some reason (they revert back to the default settings when I turn the laptop off), but at least I can see my messages. I had went under the gmail inbox folder (as Dave suggested) and then went up and hit the send/receive tab in tool bar at top of page (which Dave had suggested I try to send a message, but got sidetracked and didn't do that at the time). Went back and reread Dave's message and figured I tried to send a message and low and behold, all my messages popped into view from gmail!!

THANK YOU!!

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
It isn't saving the settings for that account, even now that you got it working?

-David

kjsgrammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
It isn't saving the settings for that account, even now that you got it working?

-David

Started up the laptop this morning and opened up Outlook and checked the settings. They were correct. Not sure what was going on previously with the settings not being saved and me having to go in and change them after starting up Outlook each time, but as they seem to be working correctly now, and email is coming into Outlook, who am I to question the "behind the scenes computer gods?!?!?".

Now I just need to get my contact list imported into Outlook and I'll be all set. Also, want to customize the layout of Outlook to what I'm used to, but that's for another day. Can you tell I don't like change!?!?:D