• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help with cancelling Sunset Royal timeshare

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
This post came from a two-year old thread and I've moved it to its own thread on this forum.

Good day danny my name is karl and i live in canada.. i have the same situation with your parents however i am only 30 years old and i have 2 kids.. How did your parents escape sunset group and finco?
Welcome to TUG, Karl. This thread was started about two years ago and Dani's last post was in September 2017, so she may not see your question.

If you bought a timeshare in Mexico and need information about it, feel free to start a new thread on the Mexico forum.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes we have bought a time share in mexico under sunset royal.. i have the same situation with his parents. I have contacted Profeco but all they said is i should contact sunset royal first and if they did not cancel i should contact them. Also there is a law firm in google its name is mexlaw. I want to know if mexlaw is a legal law firm.. they have an office here in Canada.

Reaction score
This is our first encounter with timeshare we have no idea what we have been trough until i have read the contract when we came back to canada

Reaction score
I have bought a time share in mexico under sunset world. Anyone here who got out after their 5 days cancellation period? Also i have read on google a law firm called mexlaw.. are they legit lawyers and can they save me from this timeshare? I am in contact with the sunset group as of the moment trying to convinve them to cancel my contract

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
First things first. If you want to rescind, and are within the allowable (5 day) time frame, get that letter in the mail pronto. No law firm necessary. And I will say that law firms do not have magic words or potions that will make a contract 'go away'.

Good Luck. Time is of the essence. If that time has passed without your notifying the seller that you want to terminate the contract will be difficult. Prepare to play hardball if you want out. But frankly the reasons you bought are valid and fully half of TUGgers bought our first timeshares at retail from the developer.

Jim

Last edited:
Reaction score
Greetings i have bought a timeshare in cancun mexico undee sunset world. Will closing my credit card do any damage on me? I have downpayed almost 3400 US dollars thru my credit card.. I am planning just to cancel my credit card and walk away from it rather than them continously grabbing money feom me

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greetings i have bought a timeshare in cancun mexico undee sunset world. Will closing my credit card do any damage on me? I have downpayed almost 3400 US dollars thru my credit card.. I am planning just to cancel my credit card and walk away from it rather than them continously grabbing money feom me
I cannot tell you exactly how much damage your closing the account while another entity keeps charging to it. But it is not likely to do your credit any good. Expect letters and calls from collectors. And since in Mexico, you don't really own anything, ultimately they will take whatever money you've paid and terminate your membership. We don't recommend this at your young age. It can take 10 or more years to rebuild your credit.

Jim

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

You didn't mention the date you purchased this. Are you still within the legal rescind date? If so you should send a rescission letter via Registered Mail.

Also, I would be worried that they already have your $3,400 down payment so you may be on the hook for that.

I am confident that other TUG members will have something to say about this transaction and recommendations.

Last edited:

Priya P

Reaction score
First things first. If you want to rescind, and are within the allowable (5 day) time frame, get that letter in the mail pronto. No law firm necessary. And I will say that law firms do not have magic words or potions that will make a contract 'go away'.

Good Luck. Time is of the essence. If that time has passed without your notifying the seller that you want to terminate the contract will be difficult. Prepare to play hardball if you want out. But frankly the reasons you bought are valid and fully half of TUGgers bought our first timeshares at retail from the developer.

Jim

Priya P

Reaction score
Hello Jim,

I myself purchased a timeshare 2/15/2020 and cancelled on 2/28 obviously passed the 5 days. I was told to send an email to cancel which I did and didn’t hear back from anyone until yesterday. Now they are offering me a lower package for 10,000 the first one was 24,900. I told them I want to cancel and of course they are not trying to staying that I didn’t send the mail registered in 5 days. I contacted a group in Mexico suppose to help those with this sunset royal timeshare scam. Is there any hope for me getting out of this thing or do I need to go with their lower offer? I’m so confused and don’t know what to do. I do have a 2pm call with the agency that says they might be able to get me out of it.

Priya P

Reaction score
Hello Jim,

I myself purchased a timeshare 2/15/2020 and cancelled on 2/28 obviously passed the 5 days. I was told to send an email to cancel which I did and didn’t hear back from anyone until yesterday. Now they are offering me a lower package for 10,000 the first one was 24,900. I told them I want to cancel and of course they are not trying to staying that I didn’t send the mail registered in 5 days. I contacted a group in Mexico suppose to help those with this sunset royal timeshare scam. Is there any hope for me getting out of this thing or do I need to go with their lower offer? I’m so confused and don’t know what to do. I do have a 2pm call with the agency that says they might be able to get me out of it. They are called Mexican Timeshare Solutions.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Jim,

I myself purchased a timeshare 2/15/2020 and cancelled on 2/28 obviously passed the 5 days. I was told to send an email to cancel which I did and didn’t hear back from anyone until yesterday. Now they are offering me a lower package for 10,000 the first one was 24,900. I told them I want to cancel and of course they are not trying to staying that I didn’t send the mail registered in 5 days. I contacted a group in Mexico suppose to help those with this sunset royal timeshare scam. Is there any hope for me getting out of this thing or do I need to go with their lower offer? I’m so confused and don’t know what to do. I do have a 2pm call with the agency that says they might be able to get me out of it.
There are no magic words to 'get you out' of this purchase. However, they really have no hold on you. There is no deed. You don't actually 'OWN' anything. So just do nothing. DON'T CALL! They'll send some letters. You'll lose whatever money you've already given them. If they have access to your bank or credit card accounts, change them. DO NOT PAY ANY MONEY TO ANYONE TO GET OUT OF THIS! Those upfront fee outfits are scams.

Good Luck.

Jim

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
DO NOT PAY ANY MONEY TO ANYONE TO GET OUT OF THIS! Those upfront fee outfits are scams.
I agree with what Jim wrote above and just want to emphasize that you should not pay anyone anything that promises to "get you out" of this purchase.

Priya P

Reaction score
There are no magic words to 'get you out' of this purchase. However, they really have no hold on you. There is no deed. You don't actually 'OWN' anything. So just do nothing. DON'T CALL! They'll send some letters. You'll lose whatever money you've already given them. If they have access to your bank or credit card accounts, change them. DO NOT PAY ANY MONEY TO ANYONE TO GET OUT OF THIS! Those upfront fee outfits are scams.

Good Luck.

Jim
It’s called Mexican timeshare solutions an attorney and he said they will need to take them to court and file something where I no longer require these services since I don’t anything. They advised I don’t pay anything until the court in Mexico cancels this contract. Their flat fee is 2k in I win the case. Meanwhile sunset royal said they will report me to collections based on the promissory note I signed. Can they ruin my credit?

Priya P

Reaction score
I agree with what Jim wrote above and just want to emphasize that you should not pay anyone anything that promises to "get you out" of this purchase.
Can sunset royal ruin my credit? They said they are sending me to collections

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can sunset royal ruin my credit? They said they are sending me to collections
Unless your credit is marginal anyway, it's unlikely a negative report would 'ruin' your credit. Actually, the track record is that defaulting on a timeshare indicates that it can actually improve your score. (1) Any negative report gives you the right to post a rebuttal on your credit report (They wouldn't cancel the membership even though I offered it back and let them keep $????) (2) possible creditors can look at your defaulting from a timeshare as freeing up whatever you had committed to TS, to now be available to use as disposable income- More money for you to pay towards THEIR loan.

This 'law' outfit cannot do anything you can't do yourself. Tell Sunset Royal to pound sand. They can have their membership back. There is NO ownership or deed to foreclose. The only hold they have on you is to terminate your membership- and THAT'S what you want anyway. It's just a vacation membership club.

Jim

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It’s called Mexican timeshare solutions an attorney and he said they will need to take them to court and file something where I no longer require these services since I don’t anything. They advised I don’t pay anything until the court in Mexico cancels this contract. Their flat fee is 2k in I win the case. Meanwhile sunset royal said they will report me to collections based on the promissory note I signed. Can they ruin my credit?
I hope you haven't paid anything to this "attorney" because that likely is a big scam, too.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Priya, please read the complete thread from Redweek. https://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=21342;page=1;query=Mexican Timeshare Solutions

MTS does not have a good reputation on the internet. You can do more research on your own. My best guess is that they will ask for some payment before they start any "work." You can leave the timeshare by simply stopping payment. There is nothing to guarantee that if you hire MTS, you won't still be hassled by the resort.

Priya P

Reaction score
I hope you haven't paid anything to this "attorney" because that likely is a big scam, too.
No I haven’t they sent me their contract but I started doing some research on them and this is how I found this forum. My question now is will stop paying them ruin my credit? I would like to purchase a new house in the next two years and worried about my credit being impacted. What are your thoughts?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No I haven’t they sent me their contract but I started doing some research on them and this is how I found this forum. My question now is will stop paying them ruin my credit? I would like to purchase a new house in the next two years and worried about my credit being impacted. What are your thoughts?
Based on the reports of others on TUG, I doubt that it would affect your credit that much. Jim's post #18 above has good info for you.

Priya P

Reaction score
Unless your credit is marginal anyway, it's unlikely a negative report would 'ruin' your credit. Actually, the track record is that defaulting on a timeshare indicates that it can actually improve your score. (1) Any negative report gives you the right to post a rebuttal on your credit report (They wouldn't cancel the membership even though I offered it back and let them keep $????) (2) possible creditors can look at your defaulting from a timeshare as freeing up whatever you had committed to TS, to now be available to use as disposable income- More money for you to pay towards THEIR loan.

This 'law' outfit cannot do anything you can't do yourself. Tell Sunset Royal to pound sand. They can have their membership back. There is NO ownership or deed to foreclose. The only hold they have on you is to terminate your membership- and THAT'S what you want anyway. It's just a vacation membership club.

Jim
Jim I want to thank you for this information. I was about to go with their ridiculous offer to sign up with their vacation membership of 6k for access to their website for discounted traveling and 10 weeks stay at the hotels 1 week per year. Which I was only doing that for the sake of my credit. But these services I don’t need. They telling me this is the way I can get out of my original membership that I want to cancel.

Priya P

Reaction score
Priya, please read the complete thread from Redweek. https://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=21342;page=1;query=Mexican Timeshare Solutions

MTS does not have a good reputation on the internet. You can do more research on your own. My best guess is that they will ask for some payment before they start any "work." You can leave the timeshare by simply stopping payment. There is nothing to guarantee that if you hire MTS, you won't still be hassled by the resort.
Thank you I did and definitely not going to sign up with anyone.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Grammarhero tracks such things. He's a U.S. based attorney. He'll see this and can perhaps provide some historical numbers to help you assess the risk of a credit hit.