• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! RCI switched me! What to do?

michelle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought an Extra Vacation to Longboat Bay Club (for around $800, I think) for Sat, 22 Nov to Sat, 29 Nov - yes, next week and through Thanksgiving.

Now I got a msg from RCI saying there was an overbooking and they are going to switch me to Calini Beach Club (Siesta Key)

Looking at the pictures, and reading through TUG reviews, it does not look as if I am getting a better deal. In fact, there is nothing about Calini that appeals to us as a family (we have a 2year old and a 4 year old... To give but 1 example about why this place wont work: both my kids turn up in our bed during the night... how am I going to do this in the queen bed that Calini has in its master suite?? This does not sound like a restful vacation to me!)

So, tomorrow, I am supposed to phone RCI. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? :confused:

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Calini is very nice resort and is on Siesta Key, which in my opinion is the best beach in the area. It is in a quiet family style area. I have been on all of the beaches from St Pete/Clearwater down to Sarasota. I prefer Siesta Key due to the beautiful quartz sand. It is where we plan on retiring in a few years. I own at Sandpiper Beach, a short walk up the beach.

Given the late date of the trip, RCI may not have any other units open. Calini may be able to arrange a crib for you. The management group for the resort is usually very helpful.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If there is a significant difference to you, you could always see if they would cancel and return your money. Or maybe they could switch you with a couple who don't need the King bed.
Liz

michelle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, at this point, they have me over a barrel: it is very late in the game, and I already have flights booked, car booked (hotwire - non refundable). Plus the fact that next week is Thanksgiving means that both DH and I have 2 extra vacation days. So, cancelling is not an option.

As far as switching, all units at Calini are queen beds.

Thanks, everyone, for helping with suggestions. Patty, thanks for your opninion on Siesta Key... it helps!

As of now, I still don't know where we are going. The RCI person I am working with, (and who assures me I am the only one so far who has shown resistance :D ) says she has 1-2 other people who might move. So it is still wait and see....

She says it is due to a computer glitch, but since I am not seeing anyone else here on TUG mentioning cancellations/moves, I think it has more to do with human error, or perhaps RCI trying too many venues for renting out ??!