• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

help [Questions about first purchase]

manuela

Reaction score
i'm new and i'm thinking of buying a studio at the royal vacation suites in LV for $500 & MFs of $454/yr. Will i have problems exchanging all over the world and we go a lot to florida. the fees are a lot more in florida and the ts is red wk 1-52. any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome - If you can tell us the name of the resort, and the size of the unit, we can be more specific.

What is 454?

Also - where specifically, do you want to exchange?

Are you buying it mostly to exchange or mostly to actually use?

Bill4728

Reaction score
i'm thinking of buying a studio at the royal vacation suites in LV

Welcome to TUG

The price is right with the TS you're thinking of buying as are the maintenance fees. BUT there is an ad on the TUG marketplace for a 2 bd in LV for $1.00 plus closing. That may be a better option since you said you'd likely want a bigger place.

LV is one of the areas of the country where it isn't necessary to own a TS. If you want to stay in Vegas at a TS, it has so many TS rooms that renting one of a week may be a better option for you.

PS I know nothing about the royal vacation suites so I can't comment on it.

PSS: Generally except for the big cities like NYC or SF, studios don't trade as well as bigger units. IMHO, I'd buy only a 1 bd or larger in Vegas.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise, why did you edit the OP and then ask for the name of the resort?

Bill4728

Reaction score
i'm new and i'm thinking of buying a studio at the royal vacation suites in LV for $500 & MFs of $454/yr. Will i have problems exchanging all over the world and we go a lot to florida. the fees are a lot more in florida and the ts is red wk 1-52. any advice?

First, Slow Way Down!! DO NOT BUY A TS YET!!

Timesharing can be a great way to travel to great vacation places all over the world. ( From your earlier post & PM, I thought you wanted to travel to Vegas most of the time. )

But buying a TS is very easy, Selling a TS, that doesn't do what you want, can be very hard.

The best advice I can give you is to spend some time here on TUG and ask questions about the many different TS systems and which might be best for your family.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good advice -- take it!

Bill has already given you some good advice. Don't be in any hurry to buy --- you can actually do so in Las Vegas easily and any time of any day.

The additional two cents worth I'll offer is that if it's your intention to "exchange", understand in advance that a studio sized unit is a big limitation to your "trading power" --- a studio sized unit in overbuilt Las Vegas even more so. Don't delude yourself into believing that you can deposit "rusty iron pipe" and get "shiny gold bars" in exchange; that just ain't gonna happen...

Keep in mind that for ANYTHING to become available for you to exchange into, someone else must first "deposit" that week. You've mentioned Florida; some reading here will reveal that prime winter weeks in coastal FL are not all that available for exchange. If available at all, such weeks certainly won't be attainable for you with a Las Vegas studio week as your currency of "deposit".

Read and read some more before pulling out that checkbook...

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Denise, why did you edit the OP and then ask for the name of the resort?

I'm not sure what you are referring to? All I did was move the post from an unrelated thread on the Starwood Board and add some Info. to the title....I didn't remove anything.

When I edit a post, I always make a note of it in the post.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought you took out name of resort, which I see now he added. Sometimes moderators do if it looks like an ad, which this one didn't appear to be.
Sorry.

Toughbeat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wondering...according to your original post, you "go a lot to Florida."

Would it not be better in the long run to find a resort you like there with MF at or near what you're willing to pay, in order to avoid the headache of finding a suitable exchange later? From reading these boards, it seems as though exchanging is a science all its own and sometimes a crapshoot at best.

I also would like to agree with a previous post that you'd be better off bypassing a studio unit and going with a 1 bedroom..I think it makes for better exchanges.

Toughbeat

TUG Member
Reaction score
another footnote.....there are several Orlando timeshares (assuming this is where in FL you travel to often), on ebay with minimum starting bids at only $1. They are Red Week and 1 br/1 ba with annual MF at $600... Closing costs and resort transfer of ownership fees paid by seller!

You may want to consider something like this and even though the MF are a bit higher than in Vegas, remember that you would have to pay an exchange company membership fees plus approximately $150-$200 to exchange into another timeshare.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy where you will want to vacation most of the time. If it is the beach in FL, buy at a beach resort during the time you want to be there. As another poster mention, you will find it VERY hard to trade into South Florida during the winter snowbird season.

If you don't understand the concept of a "over-built" timeshare marketplace (Vegas, Orlando, Branson, etc), you may not be ready to make a smart timeshare purchase. It is very easy most of the year to trade into an overbuilt TS market (like Vegas except NYE week, for example).

JMHO,