• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! Question about cancelling contract

La_Doshis

Reaction score
Hello, new to this forum so i hope i am posting this question in the correct place. I was roped into getting a timeshare at the welk in escondido on 7/18 but after i read through the contract, and read reviews and posts (including TUGs) i sent a letter cancelling the contract on 7/22 and the letter was dated 7/21 (couldnt leave work early on the 21st to send) Sent it certified mail and it has not arrived yet! Also, on the notice of cancellation i had it said i could also send through fax so i did to cover my bases. Also sent an email saying i sent the letter to cancel. The last day to cancel is 7/25 and i am panicking since the letter of cancellation has not arrived.
Is the cancellation in effect the date i signed the letter, the date i sent it or the day it arrives at the resort?
Thank you for any assistance!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Date of CERTIFIED mailing on your Post Office receipt is the LEGAL proof of service by rescind date ... AND that is WHY you send it certified mail!

They can decide to pick it up whenever (or not) ... but kept that little GREEN AND WHITE slip of paper with the USPS DATE STAMP .... your proof of rescinding on time ... not the delivery date!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Why not also send another letter via first class USPS (stamp) today. Go to the post office so it is post marked today. You can also send a fax today.

Of course, you didn't specify where you live or where the letter was being sent to. How far does it need to travel? It is also possible that it was delivered but the postal delivery person just dropped it and did not obtain the signature needed or scan the delivery.

While the letter is effective with the date you send it. If for some reason they don't receive it, I would think it is up to you to prove that you mailed it. Possibly proving it in court.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not also send another letter via first class USPS (stamp) today. Go to the post office so it is post marked today. You can also send a fax today.

Of course, you didn't specify where you live or where the letter was being sent to. How far does it need to travel? It is also possible that it was delivered but the postal delivery person just dropped it and did not obtain the signature needed or scan the delivery.

OP: Skip the fax; it is useless and legally meaningless unless overtly identified in the rescission instructions as an acceptable means of delivery (highly unlikely).

Postmark date of the rescission letter (and the ability to prove same via certified mail receipt retention) ultimately rules all; everything else borders on irrelevant.

Few, if any, developers (...not even slimy Westgate) attempt to play games with properly and timely executed rescissions. They know full well that they can never prevail over a consumer who has properly and timely exercised a legal right which is very clearly provided to them by applicable state law.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
OP: Skip the fax; it is useless and legally meaningless unless overtly identified in the rescission instructions as an acceptable means of delivery (highly unlikely).

Postmark date of the rescission letter (and the ability to prove same via certified mail receipt retention) ultimately rules all; everything else borders on irrelevant.

Few, if any, developers (...not even slimy Westgate) attempt to play games with properly and timely executed rescissions. They know full well that they can never prevail over a consumer who has properly and timely exercised a legal right which is very clearly provided to them by applicable state law.

It seems based on the OP that fax was acceptable and indicated in the contract, which they did send along with the certified letter. I think their bases are covered. One may not hear anything from the developer when they exercise. They will just get their refund 30 days later. Though quite often they will get a call from the sales rep trying to save the sale.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems based on the OP that fax was acceptable and indicated in the contract, which they did send along with the certified letter.

I missed that "fax" reference in the OP post; my bad. It is highly unusual for a developer to allow rescission by fax. More importantly, fax alone makes it virtually impossible for the sender to actually prove successful delivery. "Transmitted o.k." being indicated on the sender's machine is very weak evidence if documentary proof should ever be needed later, particularly since dates and times can be so very easily manipulated on almost any fax machine.

In any event, it would seem that the OP "belt and suspenders" approach should be entirely sufficient to effect rescission, although it could actually (and lawfully) take up to 45 days for deposit refund to be issued.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I recommend mailing the letter both certified and regular. Regular gets there faster w/o any issue of acceptance. Certified mail usually takes a few more days to deliver becuz of the extra tracking steps it has to go thru. Its routed thru a special tracking system, rather than simply be handed to a carrier. When it is delivered, there may be a delay waiting for someone to accept it. So, I now suggest both... Regular might get you a slightly faster refund.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I like to use USPS express mail envelopes (the big ones). It provides a tracking number and I can check on-line when it arrives. It is also a bit cheaper than the certified mail, it can go to a P.O. box, it usually arrives in 2 days and I don't have any concern about the recipient perhaps refusing to accept/sign for. On important things, I keep my receipt plus I print out the delivery details. :cheer:

Last edited:

La_Doshis

Reaction score
Sent fax, sent it certified mail and i sent an email. Im going to send it again before the post closes today...

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a case of sending certified mail and it got lost in the usps system. I enquired and it turned out that it was looping within the system, mail was transfered to wrong cities etc... it was finally found and delivered after a whole month. So sending and faxing again is a good idea.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sent fax, sent it certified mail and i sent an email. Im going to send it again before the post closes today...

Definitely send a fax today if that is listed in the contract as an accepted delivery method.

La_Doshis

Reaction score
Quick update- got a call from an unknown number, let it go to vm per the recomendation from TUGers; and it was the resort. It wasnt my salesperson but someone else talking about a closeout of escrow? What does that mean?
Also, i received an email from a rep saying that they received my notice of cancellation and are noting the cancellation for 7/22/2015. Should i call this person that left a message back?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quick update- got a call from an unknown number, let it go to vm per the recomendation from TUGers; and it was the resort. It wasnt my salesperson but someone else talking about a closeout of escrow? What does that mean?
Also, i received an email from a rep saying that they received my notice of cancellation and are noting the cancellation for 7/22/2015. Should i call this person that left a message back?

Nope. Just let them do their thing as required by law. If you talk to someone, they will try to talk you into keeping the contract.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
..... Should i call this person that left a message back?

NO WAY do you call them back. Relax ... it will be done.

Now start learning all about Wyndham and figure out HOW you and your family will gain the most IF you buy a resale Wyndham contract or another brand. But do NOT BUY anytime timeshare for a LEAST 6-12 months.... nothing, as you really are a NEWBIE!

Learning is HARD WORK .. but you are being PAID from all the SAVINGS you got by keeping your MONEY via rescinding the developer purchase!

Welcome to TUG! Let the fun begin!

La_Doshis

Reaction score
Ok, thanks everyone! Yes i am most definitely a newb and want to learn as much as possible. I was thinking of renting first and just learning how to do that for a while before making a purchase. We want to look for a trip to Maine.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Join TuG, look at rentals in Tug Marketplace!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of renting first and just learning how to do that for a while before making a purchase.

Renting before you buy is never a bad idea. Besides the TUG Marketplace, you can also try the Last Minute Rental forum:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

If you can wait until 45 days before your trip starts, you can post an ad for free what, where, and when you want to rent. The owner cannot charge you more than $100/day or $700/week. Some owners with points packages just might be able to accommodate your request. :)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
renting is the suggestion I personally give to anyone looking to buy a timeshare for the first time.

welcome to TUG =)

Padad

Reaction score
I would say visit the resort you are thinking about buying n at least twice on rented points. Your judgement could be clouded on just one visit, make sure you enjoy the place enough by getting there twice.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back when I was building my portfolio of TS Weeks I would make sure to visit any I thought I might be interested in buying. I learned the hard way. Early in the game I bought then visited. A couple of times I was appalled by what I had bought. Fortunately it was years ago and it was pretty easy to get rid of them.

George

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back when I was building my portfolio of TS Weeks I would make sure to visit any I thought I might be interested in buying. I learned the hard way. Early in the game I bought then visited. A couple of times I was appalled by what I had bought. Fortunately it was years ago and it was pretty easy to get rid of them.

George

In fairness, guest reviews both here on TUG and on TripAdvisor, Yelp, etc., have come a very long way since then. I spend a lot of time researching potential resorts before agreeing to take them on. The one in Puerto Vallarta I took site unseen, because A) the reviews are very high, and B) the contract I took is grandfathered to AI optional in a now AI mandatory resort (with the added bonus that there are only 2 use years left, so my risk wasn't extensive). I did not visit Dolphin's Cove, but based on reviews, tradability of the resort, and good knowledge of the area. The third one I took is 2 miles from my home.

La_Doshis

Reaction score
Is there a list somewhere on TUG that listsall the acronyms and what they mean? Thanks!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!

La_Doshis

Reaction score
Thanks for the link!

Also- quick update. The welk called my husband and even though i told him not to answer he picked up! :annoyed::doh::doh::wall::wall: and they tried to get him to change his mind and he said no and now they sent an email w/ an offer thats "cheaper". sighhhhhh *rolling my eyes* :rofl: