• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help please! Cancel contract HVC

Siu4

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC
Hi all,

New to TUG, hope to get some advice from all experts here please.🙏🏼

We are from Canada, went to LA for a short trip. At the WNBA game we got stopped by a girl and she “invited” us to a tour to get a bunch of freebies. We never heard about VCs and thought it’s from big brand Hyatt shouldn’t be a scam and hence we agreed.

No kidding we were at WELK for 6 hours before we head back to hotel, now thinking back we have wasted a day of vacation time in this, but I guess lesson learned… The salesperson made the HVC program so appealing, me and my spouse finally said ok and until we went into the room the sign the formal documentation we found out some more “hidden fees” that was never mentioned. We were kinda hesitant there but after we understand the fee we still thought it is “reasonable”. tbh at that point we were both very tired and we just want to get it done asap so we competed the signing.

We signed on June11 and since then we have been thinking about it. we decided to do some more digging online. Came across a lot of posts and found TUG. and now we have decided to cancel our HVC membership. Shout out to this amazing group a lot of useful info I wish would have do some research before attending the tour!!!

As we signed in CA I believe we have 7 calendar days to cancel. I was lucky enough to locate the clause on the paperwork to also indicate the 7 days and the address that I need to send the letter to. (I am glad that I saved a copy on the spot while we were signing thru docusign, or else idk how would I be able to access the signed document especially docusign expires after certain time period)

I have some questions on the letter that I am about to send out June 13th morning:

1) as we are in Canada, not sure if the mail will get delivered on time by June17 to meet the 7 days timeframe… especially from Canada to US, any of you would know if the timestamp from Canada post would be sufficient to prove that I have request and send them the letter within 7 days? Not sure if foreign mailing address would make a difference to my right to cancel?

2) any tips and recommendation on the letter? What are other important info that I should include?
- Our legal names
- contact number
- date and location signed the original contract
- date on letter to state my rescinding request
- perhaps keep it straight forward and precise that we both want to rescind
- do I need to include a reason for them?

3) other than just mailing them a letter, what else could I do to ensure they have received my request? Just a bit worried that we are not from US, I want to be safe then sorry and would want to do anything I could to ensure they will honour to cancel. I have the manager’s business card should I call or email her?

4) how long should I expect for a response back from them?

5) from experience, should I call my credit card company to dispute the transaction? I used AMEX for the down payment

This has been bugging me for the entire night and I appreciate you all. Thank you in advance!!

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Postmarked date is what counts. Dont need a reason. Dont waste anytime, dont get the idea this has to be legalistic and fancy prose...
Send it regular mail and delivery notification/tracking/certified of some type.
Dont call, they will just sweet talk you...

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. - Our legal names - Yes. And both of you (and anyone else on the contract) must sign
2. - contract number - Yes
3. - date and location signed the original contract - Yes. Also include the resort or program that was sold to you (sometimes this is different than where you signed)
4. - date on letter to state my rescinding request - put a date next to your signatures.
5. - perhaps keep it straight forward and precise that we both want to rescind - Yes. Just say you are exercising your right to rescind. That is it. No need for explanation
6 - do I need to include a reason for them - Not needed.

Regular mail will do. The date stamp you mailed is the important thing. Make sure it is certified if you guys have that option. Essentially any option with tracking and delivery confirmation. Keep a copy of the signed and dated letter and delivery confirmation for the next part below. Do not call them and do not take a call from them. They lied to you to sell you the product, they can lie again.

For your card, give them a reasonable time to refund the money but remember to contest the charge before the contest period is over (I think 60 days for some cards).

Welcome to TUG. After you rescind, hang around and learn the timeshare system. You will find out if it is beneficial for you or not. While you are at it, consider becoming a member.

PS: you can always ask DocuSign to send you another link for signed documents if the first link expires.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
@Siu4 Send your rescission letter by Registered Mail, not Certified for Int'l. Don't use courier (UPS/FedEx/DHL). Use regular Post.

The date that matters is the postmark date- NOT when they receive it.

There is no obligation on them to notify you of the rescission or it's progress. We usually allow up to 45 days to see a refund on a credit card statement. We know it can be stressful, but know that they are under legal responsibility to process a timely rescission.

Welcome to TUG

Jim

Siu4

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC
Thanks all!
I have the letter mailed out thru Canada post (Canada version of USPS), unfortunately they don’t have “registered mail” specifically but I chose the option that can be tracked and add a signature requirement upon delivery.
I have also fax the letter to them according to the fax number on the contract for cancellation just to be on the safe side. Got a confirmation that the fax went through.
We both now can finally breathe and sleep tight tonight… lol
We will take our time to learn more about timeshare and see if it is really a fit for us!
Thanks again everyone!!!

Siu4

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC
This is a letter that we sent out yesterday, hide our names and contact number for privacy. would love any group member’s second pair of eyes to ensure we cover all essential info to cancel our contract.

Sending it from Canada makes us nervous… but we do have a tracking number and clearly shows it was received at post office june13. I have also took a picture of the envelope with all the mailing labels on which shows the date and time I sent it.

Canada post made me choose to 1) return the package to sender or 2) destroy the package if they cannot deliver, I picked return package. I think both of the option won’t change the fact that I sent out the letter before 7 days and it’s them chose not to accept the package? Just want to make sure by law I’m still protected if the package got returned….

Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG_6240.jpeg
    IMG_6240.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 32

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a letter that we sent out yesterday, hide our names and contact number for privacy. would love any group member’s second pair of eyes to ensure we cover all essential info to cancel our contract.

Sending it from Canada makes us nervous… but we do have a tracking number and clearly shows it was received at post office june13. I have also took a picture of the envelope with all the mailing labels on which shows the date and time I sent it.

Canada post made me choose to 1) return the package to sender or 2) destroy the package if they cannot deliver, I picked return package. I think both of the option won’t change the fact that I sent out the letter before 7 days and it’s them chose not to accept the package? Just want to make sure by law I’m still protected if the package got returned….

Thanks all!
The letter looks good. Most critical is the address to submit rescind specified in the contract. You may not hear from them, but the proof is a credit to your credit card. That may take awhile.

Shannon_50

Reaction score
To ensure your Hyatt Vacation Club contract cancellation is processed smoothly, use expedited courier services like FedEx or DHL with tracking and proof of delivery, or Canada Post express mail with tracking, to send your cancellation letter. Include your names, contact number, date and location of contract signing, date of the letter, and a clear rescind statement. You can use a format such as: "We are writing to rescind our Hyatt Vacation Club contract signed on [Date] at [Location], within the 7-day period. Please confirm cancellation and refund." Additionally, send a copy of the letter via email to the manager and follow up with a phone call, requesting written acknowledgment. Expect acknowledgment within a week of receipt, and follow up after 7-10 days if necessary. Inform AMEX of the cancellation and the steps you've taken, ask them to flag the transaction, and be prepared to dispute if necessary.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats on finding TUG in time to rescind and save $25k!

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
I purchased a Welk VC and rescinded back in 2020 (just before the Covid shutdown). At the time, FAXing was an option as well. I sent a FAX and requested receipt confirmation via email; which I received the same day.

TUG25

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well Escondido
If you are really interested in the time share product, do some serious research on buying a resale deeded property. There are some affordable deals if you look carefully at redweek.com.
We have had deeded Welk property for decades. Easy 2k to 6k for a good week. I'm a bit fuzzy on maintenance but I think it's 1200 a week.

Mauiwannabe

TUG Member
Reaction score
The letter looks good. Most critical is the address to submit rescind specified in the contract. You may not hear from them, but the proof is a credit to your credit card. That may take awhile.
Question - who do I contact since I did not receive my world of hyatt points for attending an in person sales presentation? It’s been almost 10 weeks. Thanks!!!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
No worries. Get the letter out. If they still say they owe you money you can ignore it. You are in Canada and they cannot add anything to your credit report because you are international.

Mail the letter with tracking, relax and check out TUG for resale if this is something that interests you because you can buy for a fraction of what they wanted you to pay and have great vacations.