• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help me rescind please

DaveGTR11

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Vacation
I guess I’ll send another one and ensure it’s certified mail. I’m pretty worried after the last few responses. Luckily I’m still within my window of cancellation.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I guess I’ll send another one and ensure it’s certified mail. I’m pretty worried after the last few responses. Luckily I’m still within my window of cancellation.
Good idea and it won't cost much for the peace of mind.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I thought I sent it the best way considering it requires a signature and I sent it overnight priority. Thoughts?
The signature isn't the key here. It's the date of mailing and that's why the certified mail receipt is all you need. When they receive it is of no consequence to you. You just have to prove that you rescinded within the time allowed.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
You will be fine as long as you send a rescission letter signed by you and (if your wife also bought) spouse USPS- certified to the correct address, which is legal rescission. Just don’t get cute, and decide in lieu of sending certified, sending overnight signature-required, which technically isn’t legal rescission.

DaveGTR11

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Vacation
The signature isn't the key here. It's the date of mailing and that's why the certified mail receipt is all you need. When they receive it is of no consequence to you. You just have to prove that you rescinded within the time allowed.
I have proof of the date sent, but I feel certain it wasn’t certified mail.

DaveGTR11

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Vacation
You will be fine as long as you send a rescission letter signed by you and (if your wife also bought) spouse USPS- certified to the correct address, which is legal rescission. Just don’t get cute, and decide in lieu of sending certified, sending overnight signature-required, which technically isn’t legal rescission.
Earlier you mentioned/asked what if they refused to sign? Can’t they refuse to sign for certified as well? I took photos of the document, which was notarized, placed a copy in my bank file, took photos of the priority mail envelope with the signature request green form attached etc., would that not be enough to show proof? I’m confused because there’s nothing in the contract stating it must be certified mail and I’ve read other people’s post where they just faxed a copy of a hand written letter. I’m sorry for all of the questions etc, I don’t mean to be a pest I just want out. I guess my best bet is to go back to the post office in the morning and send another one and ensure it’s certified mail. I do appreciate everyone’s time and responses.

DaveGTR11

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Vacation
Here’s everything I have as proof and what was sent. Do you all think it’s good enough or should I follow through with a certified mailed letter? Thanks, sorry to be a pest. Just want to get it right.

Attachments

• E6B1A7D8-CA15-418F-BF66-9D96E4F7DFB1.jpeg
    E6B1A7D8-CA15-418F-BF66-9D96E4F7DFB1.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 18
  • F146D392-4FB3-4802-99A0-BE0FC6C2E4EF.jpeg
    F146D392-4FB3-4802-99A0-BE0FC6C2E4EF.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 16
  • F8C9E62F-2151-40DE-BA9A-C39BFB63EAA8.jpeg
    F8C9E62F-2151-40DE-BA9A-C39BFB63EAA8.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 97C28164-29CB-40B6-A9B8-0959B25BD910.jpeg
    97C28164-29CB-40B6-A9B8-0959B25BD910.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 14

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It looks good to me, but I'm not a lawyer. You do have a receipt from the post office showing the date you mailed it. You have a tracking number so you can see when it gets delivered. It will be interesting to see what the lawyers say. @Grammarhero

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Earlier you mentioned/asked what if they refused to sign? Can’t they refuse to sign for certified as well? I took photos of the document, which was notarized, placed a copy in my bank file, took photos of the priority mail envelope with the signature request green form attached etc., would that not be enough to show proof? I’m confused because there’s nothing in the contract stating it must be certified mail and I’ve read other people’s post where they just faxed a copy of a hand written letter. I’m sorry for all of the questions etc, I don’t mean to be a pest I just want out. I guess my best bet is to go back to the post office in the morning and send another one and ensure it’s certified mail. I do appreciate everyone’s time and responses.
At least in NY, USPS certified mail is a self-authenticating document easily introducible into court and can overcome the “lack of foundation” and “hearsay” objections. It also meet the “business record” exception to hearsay. Certified mail is the legal gold standard.

With receipts, tracking number, and paperwork and not certified mail, you still need an affidavit attesting as to the contents and chain of custody in order to introduce the receipts, tracking number, and paperwork into NY court. That is really annoying.

No, Wyndham cannot reject USPS-certified mail.

We have no idea what the current Wyndham rescission instructions are. The last one we received were in December 2019, and Wyndham may have updated.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Thanks for clarifying, @Grammarhero. I thought that was the case, but have been working in other areas too long.

DaveGTR11

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Vacation
At least in NY, USPS certified mail is a self-authenticating document easily introducible into court and can overcome the “lack of foundation” and “hearsay” objections. It also meet the “business record” exception to hearsay. Certified mail is the legal gold standard.

With receipts, tracking number, and paperwork and not certified mail, you still need an affidavit attesting as to the contents and chain of custody in order to introduce the receipts, tracking number, and paperwork into NY court. That is really annoying.

No, Wyndham cannot reject USPS-certified mail.

We have no idea what the current Wyndham rescission instructions are. The last one we received were in December 2019, and Wyndham may have updated.
Thank you sir

DaveGTR11

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Vacation
I have to say, everyone who has responded are just wonderful people! I’m grateful for your help, thank you all!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honestly now I’m second guessing myself. I thought I was sending it certified, maybe I didn’t?

Looking at your photo and it appears to me that you sent it via Express Mail Service. It should reach the destination tomorrow, and it will have to be signed for as you have the green card attached (which requires a signature and the green card will come back to you for your records).

EMS (Express Mail Service) is not Certified Mail, but you do have proof that you mailed it (assuming you retained the mailing receipt). You will also have proof that they received it once you receive the signed green card (RETURN RECEIPT) back in your mailbox.

If I were doing it, I would return to the USPS on Tuesday and mail it via Certified Mail for no other reason other than to cover your bases. Just my opinion.

Best of luck!

delia817

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Going forward in case anyone else reads this thread asking for advice on how to rescind: the best way to rescind is very simple--write the letter, have all parties to the contract sign it, keep a copy for yourself, mail it at the post office by certified mail, keep the receipt from the post office that will show that you rescinded within the time period. If your contract specifies that you have it notarized and that you must sent it by priority overnight requiring a signature, then of course that's what you should do. Most contracts don't specify that though.

DaveGTR11, if it makes you feel better to do what you did, that's fine. But what does your sales contract say about how to rescind? Whatever it says is what you should do. Of course some timeshare sales dept. make it very difficult to even find the instructions for rescission. But, the generally legally accepted proof of mailing is just a certified mail receipt from the USPS.

Good morning,
Perhaps you can offer some advice. My husband purchased a timeshare yesterday and we regret it as I have researched it was not worth it. He is the only one on the contract but I paid using my credit card. I signed a third party use of funds release. Should the cancellation letter mention to return the paid charges to me as the third party funder? Thanks in advance.

CCdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
It looks good to me, but I'm not a lawyer. You do have a receipt from the post office showing the date you mailed it. You have a tracking number so you can see when it gets delivered. It will be interesting to see what the lawyers say. @Grammarhero

It may make sense to put a sticky thread at the top of the Wyndham thread with the basics involved in rescissions. I suspect there will be many requesting this.

My only caveat was that typically Wyndham only provides the P.O. Box in their rescission instructions in the contract, they don’t always provide the street address in Las Vegas. I thought that some USPS services having a P.O. Box negates the ability to get a signed return receipt.

With respect to the OP’s question on using both email and fax; you will know almost instantly if either attempts are unsuccessful (especially if sending the JPG/PDF of the rescission letter to an invalid email address).

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning,
Perhaps you can offer some advice. My husband purchased a timeshare yesterday and we regret it as I have researched it was not worth it. He is the only one on the contract but I paid using my credit card. I signed a third party use of funds release. Should the cancellation letter mention to return the paid charges to me as the third party funder? Thanks in advance.
I don't think it really HAS to- but it doesn't hurt either. The meaning of the term, 'rescission', is to put affairs back to where they stood before the purchase (or other contract) were drawn up. So it stands to reason that your funds would be returned to you anyway.

Jim

DaveGTR11

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Vacation
@Grammarhero Interesting point brought up this morning. How will a signature work going to a P.O. Box? Thanks in advance

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It may make sense to put a sticky thread at the top of the Wyndham thread with the basics involved in rescissions. I suspect there will be many requesting this.

My only caveat was that typically Wyndham only provides the P.O. Box in their rescission instructions in the contract, they don’t always provide the street address in Las Vegas. I thought that some USPS services having a P.O. Box negates the ability to get a signed return receipt.

With respect to the OP’s question on using both email and fax; you will know almost instantly if either attempts are unsuccessful (especially if sending the JPG/PDF of the rescission letter to an invalid email address).

As a P.O. Boxholder I can say that any letters or packages that need a pick up or a signature will get a signature. The Post Office leaves a slip in the P.O. Box and the Boxholder is to go to the window to sign for the letters or pick up a package.

In the case of Certified Mail; It will NOT be released until it is signed for.

CCdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham

I scrolled right past the rescission sticky post.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
See post # 45

Normal certified mail certifies that mail was sent and received on a certain date. That is the legal gold standard. It doesn’t matter whether resort actually reads the letter; your legal obligation to send the rescission letter was complete.

Problem with signature required is that Wyndham might not pick up, particularly for a PO Box and in this pandemic, the rescission letter and claim plausible deniability. This is particularly since signature required is an “extra” service Wyndham never specified. You don’t want a disputed rescission to go this far, particularly since we haven’t received Wyndham rescission instructions since last December.

You don’t want any obstacles for resort to receive the rescission letter.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Normal certified mail certifies that mail was sent and received on a certain date. That is the legal gold standard. It doesn’t matter whether resort actually reads the letter; your legal obligation to send the rescission letter was complete.

Problem with signature required is that Wyndham might not pick up, particularly for a PO Box and in this pandemic, the rescission letter and claim plausible deniability. This is particularly since signature required is an “extra” service Wyndham never specified. You don’t want a disputed rescission to go this far, particularly since we haven’t received Wyndham rescission instructions since last December.

You don’t want any obstacles for resort to receive the rescission letter.

Any Certified mailing requires a signature at the receiving end; whether the mailing requires a return receipt or not. In any event, the mail piece is scanned "arrived at unit", and "attempted". It is further scanned "delivered" when and if the recipient signs for it.

I agree that it is critical that the mail piece be addressed to the address where the instructions say it is to be delivered (be it a P.O. Box or Street Address).

delia817

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
I don't think it really HAS to- but it doesn't hurt either. The meaning of the term, 'rescission', is to put affairs back to where they stood before the purchase (or other contract) were drawn up. So it stands to reason that your funds would be returned to you anyway.

Jim
Thank you, I did it to be on the safe side.