• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help me choose please!

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hubby and I went to HI for the first time April/May 2011. Chose Oahu for the first trip as I desperately wanted to go to Pearl Harbor. We will be going back for our 2nd trip in May 2012. I cannot make up my mind between BI or Kaua'i and I am running out of time to make reservations. :eek: If we stay on BI, we will most likely stay at royal sea cliff, not sure if we stay on kauai. I was hoping if I told what we enjoy, yall could offer some advice.

Love lush foliage, waterfalls, snorkeling, beaches, but I also would love to see an active volcano. What have you personally enjoyed doing at either of these islands? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Ps, I have both rci points and wyndham points, so resort will have to be within one of those ts

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking for forward to staying next May at the Wyndham in Kona. We visited it one day and it looked lovely. We love the Big Island, and it is BIG. Lots of varied geography, beautiful beaches on the Koholo Coast, north of Kona, and of course, the volcano.
However, if you like lush, green, very tropical, the north end of Kauai is a better fit, I think. The Princeville area.
Liz

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We just got back from the Big Island this week. Your probably going to have to
choose between seeing the volcano and nice beaches. Kauai is my favorite and
you can do everything you want there, except for the active volcano. Kauai has
some of the best beaches in the world in my opinion.

But you need to experience the Big Island it's very unique and we loved it. I
don't think Hawaii has a bad island and you can't go wrong either way.:D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Are you going to be making an exchange?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're currently on the Big Island, after spending two weeks on Kauai earlier this year, and I can guarantee you that either island is a terrific choice. We loved Kauai for the lush north side, Waimea Canyon, beautiful beaches, waterfalls, great snorkeling, etc, etc, etc. After exploring the Big Island this week, we're loving the beaches, snorkeling, waterfalls, lush rainforest on the east side, historical sites, and the volcano! I've taken two incredible helicopter tours around Kauai, but was even more awestruck by an open door helicopter tour over the active lava flows on Mt Kilaeua! Watching the red hot, molten lava pop and flow downhill - and feel the heat - was just an amazing experience. Hawaii is an island of extremes - and it's called the Big Island for a good reason. If you want to do/see it all, be prepared to drive a lot.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
The Big Island has lush foliage, waterfalls, snorkeling, and beaches, but Kauai has more of it, and you don't have to drive as far to get to all of the above. How much of your vacation do you want to spend in your car? We love them both, but Kauai is our favorite. If you like sun, be sure to stay in a place that has a mountain range between you and the north east trade winds. That would be Kona on the Big Island or Poipu on Kauai.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
The BI best beaches are north near the Waikoloa Beach areas. I have never found the beaches on Kauia to be as great. I do love the magical , mistiness of Princeville. Can you manage 2 weeks?
Liz

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
We went to Kauai this May for 3 weeks but did not like it as much as we do Kona, where we have gone quite often these last years, at first since my brother has a condo there, but then as we met other people and enjoyed the atmosphere there. We like the BI better than Kauai, therefore, due to the more friendly feel there (in our opinion - I know some TUGGERS have very strong feelings for Kauai.) The traffic on Kauai was worse so that offset somewhat the shorter distances. The day we went to the Waimea Canyon was totally foggy, so that was a disappointment, and the Ke'e beach, way up north, was crowded and a surprise after all the the more beautiful and clean beaches.
The shock of Kona the first time we went was the airplane landing: we'd only been to Oahu before and when I saw all that black lava, it took me aback...at first, until I "recovered" and remembered, "Oh yeah, this is the newest island." (Well so far, there's another one coming!) So, of course, there is a lot more lava there than in Kauai.
But as they say, What's not to love anywhere in Hawaii!

My BLOG shows photos and comments.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I have to agree that the driving is a factor. If driving one to 2 hours isn't a big
deal for you the Big Island would be my choice. If your only staying a week
don't try to cram everything in no matter which island you choice. You won't
see or do it all and you won't enjoy it as much. That will always give you a
reason to go back.:D

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Loved it there

We are looking for forward to staying next May at the Wyndham in Kona. We visited it one day and it looked lovely. We love the Big Island, and it is BIG. Lots of varied geography, beautiful beaches on the Koholo Coast, north of Kona, and of course, the volcano.
However, if you like lush, green, very tropical, the north end of Kauai is a better fit, I think. The Princeville area.
Liz

Hi Liz,
You will love staying there. We have stayed there twice now. We stayed there years ago when it was a different name with our two kids and all loved it and then two years ago we stayed not even realizing when we booked that it was the same place. Everyone there is very nice and friendly.
For those trying to decide between Kauai and The Big Island I am one of those that feel if you like or don't mind driving the Big Island has it all. If you plan on staying in a smaller area then Kauai is for you with still plenty to see and do.
Bart

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow

Thanks for all the replies! Very informative!

Im new to tsing personally, I have been using my bf rci with gc for 5 years, so I know a little bit, but have been reading reading reading here to learn more, so please forgive if I butcher the answer about exchanging. I have point setup in all 3 ownerships I have, VV @ parkway, Wyndham flagstaff, and wyndham royal sea cliff. My intention is to internally exchange with wyndham for HI, there is currently availability @ the resorts I am considering in kauai or stay @ sea cliff where I own (which also has availability now). I have to decide quickly though so I don't miss out!

Stay 2 weeks? Idk. We have 2 teenage boys that will still be in school when we go and it is kind of hard on my parents for 2 weeks. Teenagers are a handful!! LOL In oahu we were gone 10 days, so we may try to do that again. This is an anniversary trip, hubby and I take an anniversary trip in May every year, and then a family vaca later in summer when kiddos are out of school.

Im leaning more toward BI right now, and maybe an island hopper to kauai and stay a couple nights there before coming home. Has anyone stayed at Sea Cliff? Did you like it?

Oh and I definately will be going back year after year after year! I did NOT want to leave oahu at all. I sent my mom a text from oahu that said, "never coming home, send kids, will pick them up @ airport!" lol Hubby and I are hoping to possibly retire somewhere in HI, although that is many many years away!

Once again, thanks for all the input and great advice, keep it coming!

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)