• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! Marriott's Kauai Beach Club

mlester35

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dukes was great but I don't really count them as a part of the property they are owned and operated totally separate from the resort. I am speaking of the Marriott controlled food establishments. Their food is really sub-par.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking staying two (2) consecutive weeks because we are traveling from the east coast (long flight).

gsb

Reaction score
Pedro 47, I think you're wise to invest two weeks in a trip to Hawaii. Like you, we live in the eastern US and it's a long flight to Hawaii. Depending on flight arrangements, you might consider spending a couple of days on Oahu. This would allow you to see Pearl Harbor, the Punchbowl, the North Shore, and the other sights of Oahu.

Then, perhaps take a commuter flight to Maui for five nights or so. Maui is a beautiful island and a bit more laid-back than Oahu. If you stay at the Marriott property in Kaanapali you can even fly into the West Maui airport near Kapalua (JME) and save a bit of driving time versus OGG. Drive the road to Hana, go up to Haleakala. If you're going to Hawaii late in the year, Maui is a great place to see whales.

Finish your trip with a week in Kauai. We keep going back there because, when I close my eyes and imagine Hawaii, it looks like Kauai--everything is lush and green, the mountains rise out of the seas. Though we own weeks at both Waiohai and KBC, we keep going back to KBC. We like the location as well as the resort. Being more centrally located, you can get to any part of the island from there. We enjoy the beautiful gardens as well as the pool area. The golf course is great and easily accessible. Duke's is one of our favorite Hawaii restaurants, and I love being able to walk down to the Kalapaki Burger Hut for a quick lunch.

One of the nice things about Kauai is you can do a lot, or nothing at all. It's a great place to be on the water, there are plenty of hiking opportunities. some beautiful waterfalls to see, and at the same time, is a really laid back, relaxing place. My job (like many) is fairly stressful and demands a lot of time. When we get to Kauai Beach Club, the stress begins melting away.

Honestly, in my opinion, you won't go wrong with any of the Hawaii Marriott resorts. All the islands (and properties) are special in their own way. My guess is that it won't be your last trip there.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Going two weeks is a good choice. We also fly from the U.S. East Coast, and when traveling to HI..we normally go for two weeks. We've been for one week before, and while any time in HI is great, one week is just too short given the long flight!

I highly suggest two islands and perhaps two different MVC resorts. We love Maui and Kauai. One week on each is fantastic. Maui has a great mix, and Kauai is so lush. Maui Ocean Club then Kauai Beach Club is my recommendation. If you've never been to Oahu (Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, Diamond Head, North Shore), you might want to hit Oahu as well or in lieu of another island. Ko'Olina Beach Club is very nice!

LoveMyTS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch, Waiohai & Sunset Pt.
Marriott Waiohai Beach Club great spot on Kauai. Own several TS all over, one here, favorite place on the island. Great beaches, coves for kids, surf for adult/teens. Easy access to good food in Poipu.

taffy19

Reaction score
We are looking staying two (2) consecutive weeks because we are traveling from the east coast (long flight).
This is the only way to go or longer. :)

How important is a full kitchen to you? If not, then any of the Maui resorts will do, IMO. We have stayed in an ocean front studio in the older section of the MOC as well as a 1 BR condo in an oceanfront unit at the KBC and enjoyed them both.

The condos at the Kauai Lagoons are beautiful but the resort is very quiet but close to the KBC. The Waiohai is on a very nice beach but it may be hard to get a good oceanfront unit as so many owners own many weeks and stay there but this is true at the MOC too. Did you put your request in early as that seems to be most important?

I really hope that you will visit Maui. We love this resort on a fabulous beach. :)

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To iconncectins thanks for your posts, we are now looking at Maui and Kauai for plannng purposes.
Thanks to everyone for your many posts and insights they have been just awesome:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:.

amanda14

Pool Education Team Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're looking to go next summer from the east coast and do 5-6 in Kauai and 6-7 in Maui. We are going to start our trip in Kauai and just do the big travel day on they way there and we are looking to reserve Waiohai on Kauai and hopefully MOC in the new towers in summer of 2018. Good luck!

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I didn't think the prices at KBC were worse than anywhere else on Kauai. When you think about it, EVERYTHING in Hawaii is overpriced.

For those of us from California, Hawaii prices aren't actually much different. Groceries are definitely more expensive (unless your regular grocery shopping is done at Whole Wallet...er, Whole Foods), but other typical expenses--restaurants, gasoline, sundries--are comparable.

Remember, 90% of Hawaii's beef and other animal protein is imported, 80% of its dairy products, and about two-thirds of its fruits and vegetables--and 100% of its petroleum, electronics, computers, cars and most other high-ticket items. And since it's the most remote island chain in the world as measured by distance from any continent, shipping costs are high--which means living costs are going to be high. In that sense, then, Hawaii's prices aren't overpriced. High relative to what most mainlanders pay? Yes. High relative to the actual costs to get products there? Probably not.

Kilby5924

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been to KBC and Waiohai and you can't go wrong with either one. No one goes to Kauai to stay the their room. KBC is definitely more of a hotel style. While Waiohai is more of a timeshare stay. KBC's pool is gorgeous and Waiaohai's beach in Poiui is regularly list as one of the best beach in the world. That's not say that KBC's beach is bad because just about anywhere on the Kauai shoreline you are going to find a beach that is spectacular. While at KBC we loved Duke's especially fish taco Tuesdays great food and an awesome view of the beach and the pool. When we were at Waiohia we loved going to the local farmmer's market and cooking in the villa. We would buy exotic flowers at the market for our room. The exotic flowers that would cost us an arm and leg back east were selling for pennies on the dollar. We have stayed for two weeks on the Island one at KBC and another week at Waiohai one of the most relaxing vacations we have ever taken. The only sad people we ran across were those who saying it was there last day. If you ever are thinking about taking a helicopter tour Kauai is the place to do it. One travel author put it this way going to Kauai and not taking a helicopter tour is like going to the Sistine chapel and not looking up. Just know whether you stay at KBC or Waiohai you have a reason to return. I know we all want to plan the "best" vacation possible but once you you get there enjoy what you have and not what you could have because you will be in paradise.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Open-door helicopter tour and landing at a secluded waterfall in Kauai has been the coolest thing we've done on any of the islands. Particularly when I was sitting in the back seat, where they put all the weight, and I see the seat belt for the front seat flailing in the wind after takeoff. Tapped guy on should and suggested he might want to buckle up. ;-)

taffy19

Reaction score
I was lucky to sit next to the open door but you are double buckled up so no fear. It was the best helicopter trip we have ever taken and we have taken them in Maui, the Big Island and Kauai several times.

The one helicopter flight that I found the most earie was over the Big Island and we saw some lava flowing beneath us. It was a very cloudy day with a little bit of drizzle on and off so we could see the hot stuff quite clearly. :) It wasn't windy or they wouldn't have gone.

I would love to see it from the ocean one day when it is really active but it's difficult to time this with airfares, accommodations on the spur of the moment plus making reservations with that boat as they book up really fast when the lava flow is active and ending up in the ocean.

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Pedro we are at KBC right now. We have the two bedroom villa oceanfront. It is smaller than some of the other Marriott timeshares but it doesn't bother us and there are 7 of us here. One screw up was they told me there were 2 queens in one bedroom and there are actually 2 kings. The two queens in one bedroom are in the ocean view rooms, not the ocean front which was told to me. We alleviated the issue by getting two cots for the kids. It is lush and beautiful here and more centrally located.
We stayed on Oahu for three nights on Waikiki and even enjoyed that. We stayed two nights on the north shore at a beautiful resort that was not Marriott and LOVED it there. Kauai is very quiet and much more laid back. If you want very laid back and quiet Kauai is the one. If you want more people and nightlife you want Maui, the big island or Oahu.
No matter what you will love it! BTW we flew from JFK with Hawaiian Air. I highly recommend them. We had a non stop flight.
Feel free to ask any questions.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cartibeanqueen thanks for your flight information on Hawaiian Air. I liked that non stop flight.