• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! Just want out!

Mommy3

Reaction score
I'm new to TUG, I have a timeshare at Westgate Villas that I have only used 1 time. I've been through all the calls from "reputable" resale/renter groups and have wasted alot of money with them. I am so frustrated with the whole thing I don't know what to do anymore. I am more frustrated with myself for falling prey to the lies at the time I bought the unit and then again for thinking these companies would actually sell it. I just want out from under this. I have looked at the information offered on this site and excited about talking to someone who is not trying to con me. What is the best way to get rid of this thing and is donating on the up and up?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
One of the most important things to know is, do you owe any money on your timeshare? If you owe a supstantial amount of money against it, it will be almost impossible to get rid of by selling it. Resale values for timeshare are only a fraction of the developers price. A quick search of Westgate timeshares on E-bay will give you a good idea of the true value of your timeshare. It doesn't do a lot of good to look at advertised prices as they often are not the true selling price.

If you owe a substantial amount, your best bet may be in learning how to use the timeshare and get some value for what you've paid. Many of us here bought our first timeshare through a developer and paid the price. However, we've learned how to maximize our ownership and squeeze every last ounce of value out of our ownership.

Once you learn how to actually use your timeshare, you could become like many of us and be hooked. Presently we own 7 timeshares and make good use out of all of them. Hotel rooms seem awfully cramped anymore compared to the size of the timeshares. It's also forced us to take vacations when our habit before was to work through our vacation time. I didn't want to waste $18,000 (what we paid for our first timeshare) so I made certain we set aside time for vacation. Now our vacations have expanded to the point that others at work are jealous of the places we've been. I keep explaining that if they'd just plan to take vacation, they'd be able to do the same thing.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Mommy3,

Welcome to Tug!

If you haven't already, read the "How to Sell your Timeshare" Sticky that's at the top of the Buying, Selling, Renting Forum

Richard

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
A quick search of Westgate timeshares on E-bay will give you a good idea of the true value of your timeshare. It doesn't do a lot of good to look at advertised prices as they often are not the true selling price.

Be sure to register on eBay to be able to use the advanced sewach function to see "Completed" Auctions since you may see som unrealistic asking prices

If you owe a substantial amount, your best bet may be in learning how to use the timeshare and get some value for what you've paid. Many of us here bought our first timeshare through a developer and paid the price. However, we've learned how to maximize our ownership and squeeze every last ounce of value out of our ownership.

By a second 1 for $1.00 and you inverstment per week is $ 9,000.50 buy a third one and it's $ 6,000.66 etc eventulally you average your costs down to almost zero "investment per week" Add in annual maintenance fees and make sure that by the time you pay those will you be any better off than renting . . .

There is something to be said about planning forces you to vacation - not planning maskes it easier to postpone . . . . .

You must be able to plan or not plan and go at the last minute either of these extremes and it will work anything in the middle and you will be disappointed . . . . .

Last edited:

LINAND

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but there might be fees if you donate?
If you just want to be rid of it out of your name, you might could do a voluntarily deed back. call Sharon at WG and ask her about it. her # is 407-355-1089. on this paper I have it says that it must be done in writing and signed by owners and faxed to them at 407-248-5546 you must have all fees up to date but you can use the year and you cannot write it off the taxes.

I have a feeling that if you sell for a really cheap price that Westgate will want to by it back instead. it is a long process that I am going through right now.
we had to run around and get deed papers notorized the other day. I will be so glad to be done with this timeshare. I had it sold back in Feb. and it still is not out of my name yet.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own it free and clear, you could follow the directions in the sticky mentioned above. You could also offer to give it to someone, provided they pay the closing fees.

If you can afford to keep it, I think most of us here would be happy to help you figure out how to use it to your advantage. We love time sharing and we love giving our opinions ;). But we also love helping people enjoy their vacations.

Sue

Mommy3

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Timeshare is paid for and I don't owe anything except the yearly taxes and fees, which are beginning to be a burden.

LINAND

TUG Member
Reaction score
The thing with Westgate is, they CAN and WILL interfere with the sale. even if you find someone who will buy it or take it for free, Westgate will still do their Rights of First Refusal. at first I tried to give Westgate back my timeshare for free to be rid of it and they wouldn't take it. only until I sold it and was working on the closing did they step in and want it back. they are nuts and a real pain in the rear to deal with.

taffy19

Reaction score
I'm new to TUG, I have a timeshare at Westgate Villas that I have only used 1 time. I've been through all the calls from "reputable" resale/renter groups and have wasted alot of money with them. I am so frustrated with the whole thing I don't know what to do anymore. I am more frustrated with myself for falling prey to the lies at the time I bought the unit and then again for thinking these companies would actually sell it. I just want out from under this. I have looked at the information offered on this site and excited about talking to someone who is not trying to con me. What is the best way to get rid of this thing and is donating on the up and up?
First of all, welcome to TUG Mommy3. I am so sad for you that you have spent money in vain trying to sell your timeshare. Next is the postcard company who will take if off you if you give them another $3,500 or so but please, do not fall for that as they will put it for sale on eBay which you can do yourself too so now you know.

I am really getting in a bad mood reading all the complaints and frustrations with so many different timeshare developers and now reading this too below by LINAND. All the developers care about is their bottom line and their customers don't count.

I hope you will get it resolved one way or the other. If you can't sell it try to use it and enjoy it but don't buy more because it's hard to sell them. The developers make sure of that. :mad:
The thing with Westgate is, they CAN and WILL interfere with the sale. even if you find someone who will buy it or take it for free, Westgate will still do their Rights of First Refusal. at first I tried to give Westgate back my timeshare for free to be rid of it and they wouldn't take it. only until I sold it and was working on the closing did they step in and want it back. they are nuts and a real pain in the rear to deal with.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Whatever you do, Do Not Pay anyone to sell it for you. As you may have read elsewhere, these are scam artists who will take your money and do nothing for you.

What I would do: List it on ebay, see what price it'll bring. If at that price, WG steps in and uses a ROFR, then you've sold it to WG <shrug>, and if not, you still have a buyer on the hook.

Happytravels

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
that what I say!!!

I do say this to coworkers all the time. I have even tried to help them plan some vacations, but usually they ask me a week or two before they want to go.

And ALL I HEAR IS WHERE ARE YOU GOING THIS TIME!!! THIS IS INCLUDING SUPERVISORS!!!

I say plan, plan, plan it's already paid for so learn how to use it!!!

Now our vacations have expanded to the point that others at work are jealous of the places we've been. I keep explaining that if they'd just plan to take vacation, they'd be able to do the same thing.

ownsherown

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am surprised no one has mentioned Westgates habit of exercising ROFR that they dont actually have just to sink a sale.

Follow this link to read a rather detailed discussion on this subject.

westgate ROFR

LINAND

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate to be negative, but its a fact. Westgate is and has always been in full control of how owners sell/donate/give away their timeshares. as my friend John Feath once said "They have more money than God and they have the best lawyers in Florida." how can someone fight a company like that when they are only trying to get out from their timeshare? pay thousands of dollars to fight Westgate from interfering with their sale? not me thats for sure.
As for me, I wanted out bad enough to say GOOD RIDDANCE when they finally butted in and said they wanted to buy it back. who cares? I just want to be done with this money cow. ROFR? bring it on and lets be done with it.

I suggest the OP post an ad here on the TUG board classifieds. thats how the fellow who wanted to buy my timeshare found me. luckily I had a lock out unit that someone wanted. sell it for about $500. sit back and wait on Westgate to interfere and voila, be done with it. might take a full year to get it out of your name but at least you will be rid of it.

LINAND

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am really getting in a bad mood reading all the complaints and frustrations with so many different timeshare developers and now reading this too below by LINAND. All the developers care about is their bottom line and their customers don't count.

Sorry to put you in a bad mood. ;)
nobody could be in a worse mood than me with Westgate. I am sick of being bullied by them and I am sick of the fact that we were suckered in and paid 8 thousand dollars for a timehare 15 years ago that we only got $350 for when they bought it back. the husband and I were dumb happy tourists who thought it all sounded so good. what were we thinking? :eek:
its all a scam. I fully believe after awhile, that Westgate makes the owners miserable so we will end up giving them back so they can resale them again and again. thats all it can be.

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Las Vegas, Massanutten
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Regal Vista, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Diamond
[Edited to delete post that constitutes advertising under TUG BBS Posting Rules. Consider contacting the individual via e-mail or Private Message by clicking on the user name to the left of the applicable post. Dave M, BBS Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator: