• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HELP! I signed a contract at WMH.....

getmoreveggies

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own WMH Gold 81k options (bought 2004) and it has worked fine for us trading offseason at Harborside & Cancun though I hate not having 148,100 for Hawaii.

I did an Owners Update Monday and ended up purchasing a Gold EOY, but later wondered if it makes more sense to own Platinum EOY because you get more SO for the same MF?

I called my WMH Sales Agent today and explained my concerns- new offer:
Upgrade my Gold to DW Platinum Annual 2Bd L/O ($34,900 - $19,900 credit for my Gold) if I also buy a MH Platinum EOY 2Bd L/O ($17,900); will get 40,000 SP plus (10) Options to purchase 80,000 SP for $1,550 each.

I LOVE using SP for Cash/Points especially in SF & NYC, so I like having the flexibility of converting unused SO (another reason I haven't purchased Resell).

After reading TUGG I know I need to rescind, however, I'm really torn about what my best plan of action should be for obtaining more SO.

I'm considering looking for a cheap Resell with low MF (SDO? EOY) and hopefully requalifying it with a Developer EOY?

HELP!

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind an then buy resale. Figure out how many points you want and then go from there. It is cheaper to keep your TS from 2004 and buy a seconds one resale.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own WMH Gold 81k options (bought 2004) and it has worked fine for us trading offseason at Harborside & Cancun though I hate not having 148,100 for Hawaii.

I did an Owners Update Monday and ended up purchasing a Gold EOY, but later wondered if it makes more sense to own Platinum EOY because you get more SO for the same MF?

I called my WMH Sales Agent today and explained my concerns- new offer:
Upgrade my Gold to DW Platinum Annual 2Bd L/O ($34,900 - $19,900 credit for my Gold) if I also buy a MH Platinum EOY 2Bd L/O ($17,900); will get 40,000 SP plus (10) Options to purchase 80,000 SP for $1,550 each.

I LOVE using SP for Cash/Points especially in SF & NYC, so I like having the flexibility of converting unused SO (another reason I haven't purchased Resell).

After reading TUGG I know I need to rescind, however, I'm really torn about what my best plan of action should be for obtaining more SO.

I'm considering looking for a cheap Resell with low MF (SDO? EOY) and hopefully requalifying it with a Developer EOY?

HELP!

Call me stupid but I don't have a clue what all these acronyms are.

WMH, SDO, SO, SP, DW, MH.

I thought I knew most of them, but I guess I haven't been spending enough time here on TUG lately.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Call me stupid but I don't have a clue what all these acronyms are.

WMH, SDO, SO, SP, DW, MH.

I thought I knew most of them, but I guess I haven't been spending enough time here on TUG lately.

WMH, Westin Mission Hills
SDO, Sheraton Desert Oasis
SO, Staroptions
SP, Starpoints
DW, Desert Willow
MH, Mission Hills

For more info., There is a list in Starwood Owner resources at the top of the forum.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

If you haven't rescinded - you need to do that first. You have a very limited time to do so - you need to rescind today.

More info. - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74493

Because of the minimum purchase you have to make with the developer (I believe it's 20K now) it makes more sense to buy a resale that is worth 148,100 Staroptions to maximize the $20K you must spend with the developer.

However, generally, buying a timeshare to convert to hotel points is not usually a good value. Have you actually figured out how much those points are costing you including your purchase price and maintenance fees? Many times it costs you as much or more as just paying to stay at the hotel - and WMH has high maintenance fees. A gold week is an especially poor value, because you are paying the same maintenance fee as a Plat week owner - and getting far fewer Staroptions and Starpoints.

As I recall, the maintenance fee is around $1,500 for a 2 bdm. - how many Starpoints do you get for that?

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember, starting next year, you'll be able to save/bank your StarOptions for greater choice within SVN. Save your 2012 points and you'll have 162K points to use in 2013 - more than enough for a 2BR in Maui or Kauai, or two weeks in a 1BR.

If you're using all your StarOptions every year, why not buy a mandatory resort with a lot of StarOptions (a Kierland Platinum for 148,100 SO's?) to use for staying in resorts, and use your Mission Hills for converting to StarPoints? Whether or not Platinum will give you a bigger bang for your buck than another Gold week, depends on the purchase price of the unit. You pay the same MF's after that. I personally would only buy a Gold week if it's a week I plan on using, and it's hard to get that week otherwise (like summer Harborside).

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I wouldn't buy any season except platinum, with the except of WSJ or HRA IF I wanted to lock in a summer week.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, for $32,900, you get:

1. Your 2BR gold week Mission Hills upgraded to a 2BR Platinum Desert Willow,
2. A new every other year 2BR Platinum Mission Hills week
3. 40K bonus StarPoints
4. The option to buy 800,000 StarPoints for $15,500

Giving you:

148,100 StarOptions one year (a gain of 67,000) and
296,200 StarOptions the other year (a gain of 215,200)

For an additional maintenance fee EOY of around $1,500?

As developer weeks go, it doesn't sound all that bad - but you do know those weeks will be worth next to nothing on the resale market, right? It seems more thoughtful than buying an additional Gold week, BUT, is it what you really want?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, for $32,900, you get:

1. Your 2BR gold week Mission Hills upgraded to a 2BR Platinum Desert Willow,
2. A new every other year 2BR Platinum Mission Hills week
3. 40K bonus StarPoints
4. The option to buy 800,000 StarPoints for $15,500

Giving you:

148,100 StarOptions one year (a gain of 67,000) and
296,200 StarOptions the other year (a gain of 215,200)

As developer weeks go, it doesn't sound all that bad - but you do know those weeks will be worth next to nothing on the resale market, right? It seems more thoughtful than buying an additional Gold week, BUT, is it what you really want?

It does not sound bad... but it is worthless in the resale market. As long as you want to stay within SVN, SOs and SPs, then it's quite a good deal.

getmoreveggies

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because of the minimum purchase you have to make with the developer (I believe it's 20K now) it makes more sense to buy a resale that is worth 148,100 Staroptions to maximize the $20K you must spend with the developer.

So Rescind, buy Resale first, then negotiate to requalify my resale and upgrade my Gold to Platinum? The sales rep is telling me I'm getting a GREAT deal in being able to trade my Gold for "3 Platinum EOYs" for $32,900 since usually they require you to buy 2 1/2 times what you own to upgrade?

A gold week is an especially poor value, because you are paying the same maintenance fee as a Plat week owner - and getting far fewer Staroptions and Starpoints.

I know! I hate my Gold because I pay $1,500 for only 81k options! That's why I'm wondering if $32,900 is decent:
(1) I get rid of my Gold
(2) I get 3 EOY Platinums
(3) I'll be 3 Star Elite, which I know isn't so great but I do like the extra time to convert to SP or bank my SO in SVN.

As I recall, the maintenance fee is around $1,500 for a 2 bdm. - how many Starpoints do you get for that?

48,000 SP for my Gold, but it would be 72,000 SP for Platinum.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are going to be paying a LOT of money just so you can convert to Starpoints - I just don't think the value is there. Those Starpoints will end up costing more than just staying in hotels.

Did you know that you can earn virtually free Starpoints with a Starwood AMEX?

Did you know that you can buy Starpoints at a discount from Starwood?

Did you know that you can buy a resale week at Westin Kierland Villas that has 148,100 Staroptions for around $13,000? You can buy Staroptions without buying from Starwood at several resorts.

Did you know that you can buy a resale week at Sheraton Desert Oasis for around $1,000 - $2,000 and use it to trade into to most of the Starwood resorts through Interval International for a fraction of the cost? (This won't work for holiday weeks, or Harborside or St. John, but it works well for Hawaii and you have your WMH week for Harborside and St. John trades.)

I would encourage you to explore your other options thoroughly before you buy from the developer.

getmoreveggies

TUG Member
Reaction score

My Annual Gold is $1,500 annually which I believe is the same MF as 2 EOY Platinums? So MFs of $1,500 and then $750 alternating years I think (unless I'm getting myself confused?)

I realize there is no resale value, which is why I'm itching to buy a Resale, BUT, I REALLY want full SVN/SPG benefits. Also, the "no resale value" is why it's hard for me to quantify the $32,900. But if I didn't own SVO then Harborside wouldv'e cost about $400+/night for a 2Bd which means we wouldn't have gone at all (and my kids would have missed out on some of our most memborable family trips).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But if I didn't own SVO then Harborside wouldv'e cost about $400+/night for a 2Bd which means we wouldn't have gone at all (and my kids would have missed out on some of our most memborable family trips).

I think you are over estimating the value of Starpoints conversion.

See my post #11 above - You don't have to buy from the developer to buy a timeshare with Staroptions.

You have many options besides paying top dollar to buy from the developer.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Annual Gold is $1,500 annually which I believe is the same MF as 2 EOY Platinums? So MFs of $1,500 and then $750 alternating years I think (unless I'm getting myself confused?

I don't own EOY units, so I'm not sure if Starwood splits the MF's in half and bills you every year, but I believe you'll be paying $1,500 annually for the use of your Desert Willow, and $3,000 the other year when you're billed for both your DW and Mission Hills units.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With EOY deeds, you pay half the maintenance fee + $30 + the SVN membership fee, every year. The SVN fee is discounted when you own multiple weeks.

getmoreveggies

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are going to be paying a LOT of money just so you can convert to Starpoints - I just don't think the value is there. Those Starpoints will end up costing more than just staying in hotels.

True, it's hard to quantify. I typically use Cash/Points so for instance in NYC I can pay $90/4800sp per night instead of $400+ per night.

Did you know that you can buy Starpoints at a discount from Starwood?.

Yes, I have Starwood AMEX but I haven't been able to use in recent years (I had to go on a payment plan a couple years while unemployed).

Did you know that you can buy a resale week at Westin Kierland Villas that has 148,100 Staroptions for around $13,000? You can buy Staroptions without buying from Starwood at several resorts?

Did you know that you can buy a resale week at Sheraton Desert Oasis for around $1,000 - $2,000 and use it to trade into to most of the Starwood resorts through Interval International?

I don't care for II because I'm not guaranteed the resorts I want, so I prefer SVN, but for $1,000 I seriously need to consider it.

I would encourage you to explore your other options thoroughly before you buy from the developer.

That's why I joined Tug! I soooo appreciate your input and know I will get this all sorted out with the assistance of Tug members! :cheer:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score

That's a great point Denise makes. I get plenty of points by paying our Starwood units' MF's with my SPG Amex credit card!!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't care for II because I'm not guaranteed the resorts I want, so I prefer SVN, but for $1,000 I seriously need to consider it.

You don't get any guarantees with Staroptions either - it is strictly based on availability.

This is why II is such a great deal - ALL Starwood owners get first priority for Starwood to Starwood trades.

Here's an example:

You buy and deposit a 2 bdm. unit at Sheraton Desert Oasis with a MF of about $1,000.

Then you put in a request for a 2 bdm. at one of the Starwood Hawaii Resorts for any time in July.

When a Hawaii deposit is made, as a Starwood owner you would get the exchange before any non-Starwood owners.

You get to trade a TS with a MF of about $1,000 for one with a MF of $2,300+.

It's a great deal.

Last edited:

getmoreveggies

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you are over estimating the value of Starpoints conversion.

I wouldn't convert routinely, but with 3 EOY Platinums I may occasionally end up with a few lingering SOs, so then I'd convert to SP. To be honest I may only need 2 EOY Platinums, but they wouldn't let me just upgrade my Annual Gold to an Annual Platinum (sales rep said they normally require a 2 1/2 x purchase to upgrade, so to upgrade my Gold I normally would have had to buy 2 Annuals plus 1 EOY. Have you heard this?)

You don't have to buy from the developer to buy a timeshare with Staroptions.

So of the mandatory resorts would you say WKV is the least expensive Resale and MF? And where are the best places to find a Resale?

getmoreveggies

TUG Member
Reaction score
You get to trade a TS with a MF of about $1,000 for one with a MF of $2,300+. It's a great deal.

I'm pretty much sold on this deal! I could use my Gold for Harborside 2Bd in off-season, however, I would never be able to have a 2 bedroom in St. John?

I really wish I would've bought Platinum back in 2004. I hate my Gold!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is very difficult to trade into Harborside or WSJ through II, because there is more demand than supply - you have to be completely flexible.

If you were willing to take any week of the year, and put in your request a year out, you might get it, but it's not easy.

So of the mandatory resorts would you say WKV is the least expensive Resale and MF? And where are the best places to find a Resale?

WKV is generally considered to be the best combination of upfront cost and low maintenance fee. There are mandatory resorts (Sheraton Vistana Resort) with a lower upfront fee cost, but their maintenance fee to Staroption ratio isn't as good. In other words - higher MF and lower Staroptions.

Ebay has the best TS prices.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But WKV will cost me $13k for 148,100 SO?

Approximately - but WKV has a low maintenance fee for 148,100 Staroptions: 2 Bd. L/O - $1289.13

These are the only Starwood timeshares that have Staroptions on a resale:
* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only)
* Westin St. John (Virgin Grand - Hillside only)
* Westin Ka'anapali & Westin Ka'anapali-North
* Westin Kierland Villas

You can buy at Vistana Villages for less money, but you will pay a higher maintenance fee and get less Staroptions, so WKV is generally considered to be the best Staroption trader.

Hopefully, some of our Vistana Villages owners will also chime in, because we do have some SVV fans and it would be good for you to hear from them as well.

The other 4 resorts with Staroptions have high maintenance fees and would not be cost effective Staroptions traders:
* Harborside at Atlantis

getmoreveggies

TUG Member
Reaction score
These are the only Starwood timeshares that have Staroptions on a resale:
* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only)
* Westin Kierland Villas

The above are "mandatory" resales then? Meaning I get full SVN privileges?
Can I combine my Gold 81K SO with my Resale options?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The above are "mandatory" resales then? Meaning I get full SVN privileges?
Can I combine my Gold 81K SO with my Resale options?

They are mandatory resales, and the Staroptions can be traded just like developer weeks.

You won't get any Starpoints.

You can combine Staroptions with your resale and developer weeks.

Can you be more specific about full SVN privileges?

Last edited: