• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

help? HH exchange question..Opinion?

Lisa8192

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello! Couple questions if someone can help. I own at Barony. We have an oceanfront which we usually use every summer (15 years) and an ocean side that I trade. I was wanting to try a different resort. I really want Grande Ocean (we stayed there the year we bought Barony and wanted to be on that end of the island for a change), but I got a trade into Surfwatch. Where are exchangers usually placed? I know at Barony they go in the Gardenview villas. Opinions on giving up Ocean front at Barony for Surfwatch? How far the walk might be to the beach? Crazy in that I'm there every year and have never really walked around Surf Watch? I was also thinking I could take it with e trade. Or just keep my Barony and cancel the exchange. Which, is my last question. I know we have 24 hours to cancel, but it's Sunday? Will they give me any grief tomorrow morning? Thanks so much for anyone's thoughts... I know.. as my daughter would say "first world problems". :)

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will probably be in one of the two garden view buildings but both are very nice in quiet locations. I prefer those to the buildings next to the main pool. If you cant get the Ocean Dunes building then the garden view is the next best IMO.

Having been to all three resorts you mention, Surfwatch is my families favorite with Grand Ocean a very,very close second. The walk to the beach from the garden view buildings isnt bad and there are golf carts that go back and forth if you dont want to walk.

Since youve been to Barony so many times I'd definitely take Surfwatch even assuming you will end up with a garden view unit.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean Side at Barony is far better than anything at Surf Watch. The units at Surf Watch are nicer, but not the location IMO.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everybody has their own opinion. We were original owners at Barony-- Oceanside and we did not like it. Marriott made us a deal we could not turn down and we bought a 3 bedroom garden view at Surfwatch. We love it. The "lake" is a lovely view and there are shuttles to the beach. We call them from our unit and they are waiting by the time we get downstairs. No hassle.

Lisa8192

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions! I kept my oceanfront at Barony.. I'm sure someone grabbed the Surfwatch pretty quick! If by chance Grande Ocean pops up.. I'd take that for a change of pace.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've stayed at a couple

We've stayed at Barony and Surfwatch.

If it were me, I'd trade simply for a change of pace. None of them are going to be "bad." The worst case is that you may prefer Barony and will go back there the next year... still you will not have had a "bad" vacation. Of course you might find that a change was fun and gave you a different experience.

Everybody has different preferences.

There's very little to "lose" by trying something else. :D

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Since you lose view when you exchange through II, you might want to see if you can do a direct exchange with an oceanfront GO owner who might also want a change of pace. If you are willing to go oceanside you might even have more options.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Since you lose view when you exchange through II, you might want to see if you can do a direct exchange with an oceanfront GO owner who might also want a change of pace. If you are willing to go oceanside you might even have more options.

The only hesitation with that is, Barony's oceanfront units are true oceanfront directly facing the beach while some of GO's oceanfront units aren't. If OF is the determining factor it's best to know that going in.

I'd take SW in any view; the natural setting throughout the entire resort is what makes it my favorite. Don wouldn't give up his favorite, oceanfront Barony. But we both agree with what Swice said, "there's very little to lose" by trying something different.

Lisa8192

TUG Member
Reaction score
I consider myself pretty lucky to have such a tough decision! Thanks to everyone for the opinions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lisa8192

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very surprised! Got my Grande Ocean exchange for late June! Excited to try something different from Barony and be on the other end of the Island. Any suggestions for buildings to request when the time comes? I haven't been there in 16 years! Thanks :)