• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help.....A Lien!

mrspaula

Reaction score
I am new this site and I need some advice. I have a timeshare in which i am about to sell, however, I have a lien against it for not paying MF's. What do I do? I can't afford to pay the fees.

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take out a person loan, pay the fees, sell your unit and use a portion of the proceeds to pay off the loan.

Bill4728

Reaction score
It is very difficult to sell a TS which you own money on. It doesn't matter if it a mortage or MFs or a lien from either.

Lora's advice is right on. Find a way to pay them off and use the money you get from the sale of the TS to pay it back.

Good Luck

PS be sure to read the thread "how to sell your TS"

SBK

TUG Member
Reaction score
What if it is only worth a dollar?

What do you think you could sell it for? Would it be more than you owe?

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Sella-Sella-Sella.

What if it is only worth a dollar?

What do you think you could sell it for? Would it be more than you owe?
Even if the timeshare is worth less than the lien amount, it's still important to pay off the lien & sell off the unwanted timeshare for whatever it will bring.

Otherwise another round of annual maintenance fees comes up again in just a few more months -- & if those aren't paid another lien gets slapped on.

That's the thing about deeded timeshares -- working out an exit strategy can be semi-tricky.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if the timeshare is worth less than the lien amount, it's still important to pay off the lien & sell off the unwanted timeshare for whatever it will bring.

Otherwise another round of annual maintenance fees comes up again in just a few more months -- & if those aren't paid another lien gets slapped on.

That's the thing about deeded timeshares -- working out an exit strategy can be semi-tricky.

What other types of timeshares are there. All the timeshares I own, whether in a vacation club, fixed weeks, points, or seasons, all have some kind of deed or membership that is impossible to get out of without paying all past due bills. Plus a few I own are impossible to get out of even with me paying 1/2 of all the fees needed to close them.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Quick & Easy Timeshare Exit Strategy.

What other types of timeshares are there. All the timeshares I own, whether in a vacation club, fixed weeks, points, or seasons, all have some kind of deed or membership that is impossible to get out of without paying all past due bills. Plus a few I own are impossible to get out of even with me paying 1/2 of all the fees needed to close them.
Click here for the only 1 I know about that comes with a super-easy exit strategy.

If I don't like it after 3 years, I just let it drop.

If I do like it, I re-up for 3 more years.

While the lease is in force, however, the leaseholder is responsible for all fees, same as at all the other timeshares out there.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I am new this site and I need some advice. I have a timeshare in which i am about to sell, however, I have a lien against it for not paying MF's. What do I do? I can't afford to pay the fees.

Since this is your first post, there are a few things that would be important for TUGers to know about this timeshare.

1. Is the mortgage paid in full?
2. How much is the lien?
and most importantly
3. How much do you think your timeshare is worth?

Most people think their timeshare is worth much more than it is. I was recently talking with a co-worker who's fiance's mother has spent $8,000 with up-front fee companies and thinks her Branson timeshare is worth $22,000, which is more than she paid for it. When I should them that it's likely worth less than $1,000, I thought he was going to faint.

You will almost certainly have to pay off any liens on the timeshare before you can sell it. The liens must be paid before any buyer can take ownership and I don't know of a lot of people willing to give you money before the title is free and clear.

Have you called the homeowners association to see if they have any options they can offer you? It's a long shot but, the HOA would rather have someone paying the MF's rather than continue to have deliquent fee's.

McFail

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a TS from someone who has outstanding MF bills. We used a closing attorney affiliated with the resort. The seller ended up with the net difference. If you are upside down then that won't work unless you can come up with the difference.