• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Heart Attack while in Orlando-Advice Needed

itrainu

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband (50 yrs old) had a heart attack on October 16 while in Orlando. Currently he is in Orlando hospital, ended up being rushed to Cath Lab and has two stints in lower right artery. He has never had any health issues, very active, etc. I would like input, advice, etc. from fellow tuggers for some of the life changes that I can expect. According to Dr., he will be "good as new" after a recovery of 6-8 weeks with physical limitations. Doctors plan on keeping him on Plavix and a daily aspirin.

Fortunately, we were able to secure a second week at Marriott Grande Vista, before he is allowed to fly back to Texas.

Susan:whoopie:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like input, advice, etc. from fellow tuggers for some of the life changes that I can expect. According to Dr., he will be "good as new" after a recovery of 6-8 weeks with physical limitations. Doctors plan on keeping him on Plavix and a daily aspirin.

Susan:whoopie:

Sorry to hear about your husband's MI. Here's to a full recovery! Like your doctor said, he will probably recover well. As for life changes, I don't know what your lifestyle is now so I don't know what recommendations for changes to make. I suggest you hook up with a good cardiac rehab program at home and follow their recommendations for activity (exercise) and nutrition as well as stress reduction techniques. Your husband is very young. Without knowing what led to the heart attack, it is difficult to know, specifically, what to recommend.

Dean Ornish's program (google it or look for his books in the bookstore) is good but difficult to follow for the undisciplined. The DASH diet is excellent even for those without high blood pressure.

If he smokes or uses any tobacco, that is one major thing to give up.

Get a good cardiologist at home and go for regular checkups.

Best of luck.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Diet, exercise, stress reduction.

If they don't reduce the risk factors, then he'll be looking at cholesterol and blood pressure medications.

As long as there was no real damage to the heart, he'll be fine.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm glad he's okay! It's not so easy to find a good cardiologist (I have a pacemaker/had surgery as a child). They keep leaving because of high malpractice insurance. So look carefully.

If the heart attack wasn't major, from what little I know (I never had a heart attack), he should recover well.

Normal stuff - eat well, exercise, no smoking - these are things we should all do before and after any cardiac issues.

Good luck to you! I turn 50 next year. It sure creeped up fast.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
My father and all his brothers had heart attacks at 56. Family history of heart disease. My dad lived to 86, 1 brother to 84 and the other is still alive at 86. None of them were overweight and my Dad never smoked. High cholesterol was their biggest problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that he can still expect to live many more years as long as he follows Dr's orders and takes his medication.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We will send prayers your way and hope his recovery goes well. So glad you could get a second week at Marriott Grande Vista.

Along with the other things mentioned above, don't forget to give him great sex! This will keep him mentally and physically happy as well as being a great stress reducer.

Best of luck!

Janna

gateacher

TUG Member
Reaction score
My dad had a heart attack at 53 and had stints put in. He is now 66 and has had no cardiac problems since then. He quit smoking, walks daily, and watches what he eats. I remember how worried I was when this happened and wondered what the future held for him. I just wanted to let you know that it could very well be that he still has a bright future ahead of him. I'm sending up a prayer for you. Be sure to find a good cardiologist and have regular check-ups.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heart problems

Hubby has not had a heart attack, but 2 open heart surgeries and now heart is out of rhythm. He, and his doctors, believe that walking at least 3 miles a day has kept him in good shape. Also obeying doctors and finding a good cardiologist. Hubby changed practices to find the right doctor for him. Good luck. It is not the end of the road, believe me.

Nancy

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Finding A Cardiologist

Finding a good cardiologist is very important. Probably as important if not more important than a family doctor for a cardiac patient. In our circle of friends, many/most use the same doctor, since one of the best ways to find a good one is to ask those whose opinions you trust. And sad to say, while a doctor may think another doctor is "the best," that "best" may not be one who listens to his patients, etc. You want your doctor to be well liked and respected by his patients.

My girlfriend, who has cardiac problems, chose her cardiologist based on what Jerry told her about his doctor, and what she'd seen with Jerry's treatment. Jerry's cardiologist is, to quote my friend, "the least likely looking heart doctor you'd ever see." AH, but he's a fighter for his patients. He once got the insurance to airlift Jerry to UCLA for treatment, and he's pulled other rabbits out of the hat over the years. He's the man I'd want for my doctor.

BTW, another doctor I've been to, a surgeon, comes with this recommendation: "He's got gifted hands." AND he listens. Pretty good combination, no?

Fern

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had an MI at 46 and had a stent put in. It's now been 8 years and I have had no physical restrictions. I have always been very active and did cardiac rehab as soon as I could. I go to the gym 4-5 times a week doing cardio and weights and water aerobics and play golf once a week. Just last year my cardiologist gave me the OK to take up scuba diving! Dh has been diving for 20+ years and cannot keep up with me!
Best wishes for your husband's full recovery!