• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Headed to Village d'ile-de-France - Have questions

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All: We are headed to visit Disneyland Paris in a couple months, via a getaway purchase with II. Sunday to Sunday

My original plan was to stay at the Marriott Tues - Sunday and then head into the city from Sun-Wednesday with a hotel.
But, the hotel costs are pretty high and I'm not finding a lot of point offerings with my hotel rewards.

So, now I'm thinking of securing a secondary week at this Marriott and using that as a home base. I know it's about a hour away from main tourist hot spots, but for the cost savings it may be worth it.

Anyones thoughts on day tripping from the Marriott?

Also, is a car rental suggested or should I be able to manage without?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
There are a number of posts about logistics/train/rental cars/day trips if you search. For at least part of the 2 weeks, you'll want a car. You can rent from train station or at local hotels. We rented from Sixt at a Circus (?) hotel near Disney.
When we've stayed for a week, we've used it as a base to explore both Paris (2 days via train), Disney Paris 1 day, Provins (medieval town) by bus from Disney Paris (nice ride thru countryside and small villages), and some day trips with a 3 day car rental on the other days: Meaux for fabulous WWI museum, Fontainebleau, and Vaux le Vicomte chateaux. Also there are TGV(fast) trains to Reims, Strasbourg, Dijon (we have not done Dijon), which could be possible day trips. Buy tickets well in advance for much cheaper fares (restricted, but for 10 euros, we risked it).

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I have been making my way through them all morning.
I just priced out the car rental - WOW, alot cheaper than the US. So, I'm going to secure that and use for transport to Disneyland and tours we want to do ourselves.
For the city, so far in my research it appears the train is best option as you mentioned.
Quick question: How do you get from resort to train?

Thanks for mentioning other things you did there. I honestly have no clue about anything Europe.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I’m also visiting this resort later this year. Even if you have a car, is that the best method to get to the park? How much does parking cost vs taxis etc? I understand there is a shuttle but it’s intermittent and requires reservations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Best way from resort to Disney is the local bus--it goes thru the tourist/suburban area--not a typical "city" bus. Very safe, even late night, easy to use.
One way goes to Chessy/Disney--other way goes to (a rather nice outdoor) Val d'Europe outlet shopping mall at Marne la Vallee. Bus stops are right outside Marriott entrance on either side of small road-depending on which direction you travel. The front desk should have a schedule. The shuttle was not as frequent. We used it 1-2X, but mainly the bus. It was 2 euros, a bit longer ride than the shuttle. Below is photo. That is sidewalk into the Marriott gate.
This Marriott ranks as one of our all time favs vaca places! Loved it so much, went back a 2nd time. There's a cute little "town" walkable down a nice sidewalk or 3 minute drive with small Carrefour grocery, boulangerie, patisserie, and a couple restaurants. We enjoyed cooking simple French meals in the well-equipped kitchen with a lovely terrace. Did I mention this place is fantastic?!
1706731348078.png

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with the above. Regular visitor to this MVCI resort and the local bus is definitely the best bet for getting to BOTH the train station and Disneyland Paris. I would not bother driving and parking...I think the walk from the Disneyland Paris parking lot is likely longer than from where the bus drops you for the train station (to be clear, the station is directly at the Disneyland Paris resort).

Edited to add a possibly controversial suggestion....but given you're looking at a full two weeks and expect to have a car, I'll mention that there is a Costco about 30 minutes from the resort. You can use you US membership card there and there are lots of good French products (in addition to Costco/Kirkland staples).

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Just do a Title Search on the Marriott Forum for "France" to find the older threads

Here are a few

Also, there are lots of YouTube videos. Here are two.

The MVC resort in France is on my bucket list. I hope you have a wonderful trip :cheer:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Rent a car definitely for day trips but don't use it to go to Disneyland. Use the bus, direct from outside the resort to right outside the park entrance. A lot, lot cheaper than parking and easier to get to and from the park entrance.

As much as I like the small town next to the resort I prefer to do my grocery shopping at the huge Auchan at the Val d'Europe mall which is a relatively short drive from the resort. The choice of food, wine and everything else you could possibly want is so much greater than the small Carrefour in the town.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
As much as I like the small town next to the resort I prefer to do my grocery shopping at the huge Auchan at the Val d'Europe mall which is a relatively short drive from the resort. The choice of food, wine and everything else you could possibly want is so much greater than the small Carrefour in the town.

Great suggestion, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We stayed there this past October and enjoyed the resort as well as the location. We had a car for the week. We drove into Paris multiple days, and reserved parking in advance for about 10-15 E per day. We also drove East to Reims, where the major champagne houses are. I had the most fun driving the roundabout at the Arc de Triompe, but it was similar to a demolition derby (without crashes fortunately.) Most other roads in Paris are busy but like traveling in any big city traffic. Having a car let us find all sorts of small (non tourist) towns within 30 minutes of the resort, that would have been very difficult if at all possible on public transport.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Hello All: We are headed to visit Disneyland Paris in a couple months, via a getaway purchase with II. Sunday to Sunday

My original plan was to stay at the Marriott Tues - Sunday and then head into the city from Sun-Wednesday with a hotel.
But, the hotel costs are pretty high and I'm not finding a lot of point offerings with my hotel rewards.

So, now I'm thinking of securing a secondary week at this Marriott and using that as a home base. I know it's about a hour away from main tourist hot spots, but for the cost savings it may be worth it.

Anyones thoughts on day tripping from the Marriott?

Do you have enough hotel points to make another destination your home base for a week? I love Strasbourg. Great city in its own right, but also an amazing location to explore more of France, Germany and Switzerland.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii

I wouldn't bother with a car. It's only 30 minutes from the Val d'Europe station to Gare Lyon. From there, you're on the metro. It's not all that different from staying out in the 'burbs (one of the outer Arrondissements).

If there's no shuttle to the station, it's a cheap Uber/taxi.

Europe with a car: No parking. All the streets are going one-way in the opposite direction. They pay the same for a liter that we pay for a gallon. And some streets are so narrow they'll shear the side-view mirrors. Instant ulcer, just add traffic.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I wouldn't bother with a car. It's only 30 minutes from the Val d'Europe station to Gare Lyon. From there, you're on the metro. It's not all that different from staying out in the 'burbs (one of the outer Arrondissements).

If there's no shuttle to the station, it's a cheap Uber/taxi.

Europe with a car: No parking. All the streets are going one-way in the opposite direction. They pay the same for a liter that we pay for a gallon. And some streets are so narrow they'll shear the side-view mirrors. Instant ulcer, just add traffic.
This was not our experience at all. There was copious amounts of parking all throughout Paris, most underground.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was not our experience at all. There was copious amounts of parking all throughout Paris, most underground.
As you say, anyone OK with city driving should be fine, what is a faff is having to pay the for the low emission zone stickers. Some hire car companies may have them, others not.

1707232503368.png

ScoopKona

Reaction score
As you say, anyone OK with city driving should be fine, what is a faff is having to pay the for the low emission zone stickers. Some hire car companies may have them, others not.

Why make that much effort? The metro is faster, cheaper and far more efficient. And nobody has to pay to park their train -- if they can find parking.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Why make that much effort? The metro is faster, cheaper and far more efficient. And nobody has to pay to park their train -- if they can find parking.
Not faster, we got into central Paris faster than the trains/metro from Disney, on our own schedule. Rental car had sticker, I assume all do. Not cheaper either with 4 people at least. Also we went to lots of places where there were no trains.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We liked the combo--train into Paris, car for touring exburbs. We did Paris (and Provins via bus) on the ends and booked a car in the middle for 3 days-perfect!

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
I am comfortable driving on busy highways in hectic traffic. I regularly drive the 401 in Toronto (busiest highway in North America). I have driven in other major cities, including LA freeways. I have driven in the UK, The French Alps, Germany, Austria and Italy. Comfortable with all the above.

I had a rental in France and took it into Paris for two days. I would never do that again. No problem driving in France. Driving in Paris is wild. Not for the faint of heart. LA and New York have nothing on it.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I am comfortable driving on busy highways in hectic traffic. I regularly drive the 401 in Toronto (busiest highway in North America). I have driven in other major cities, including LA freeways. I have driven in the UK, The French Alps, Germany, Austria and Italy. Comfortable with all the above.

I had a rental in France and took it into Paris for two days. I would never do that again. No problem driving in France. Driving in Paris is wild. Not for the faint of heart. LA and New York have nothing on it.
No doubt the round abouts, especially the very large ones, are quite thrilling.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
No doubt the round abouts, especially the very large ones, are quite thrilling.

No - the roundabouts are easy. I live in Prince Edward Island, and we have turned every major intersection into a roundabout.

In Paris it is more the combination of the total volume of traffic, travelling at high speeds bumper to bumper plus and add in motor cycles buzzing in an out between the lanes. It leaves no margin for error. If you leave an appropriate space between yourself and the next vehicle, that space will be filled with another vehicle instantly. I didn't enjoy driving 90 kmh (55mph) with only 5 feet between myself and the vehicle ahead and behind. If you left more than 5 feet a motorcycle uses it as a pass through. Any error and you have a 6 car pile-up.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
No - the roundabouts are easy. I live in Prince Edward Island, and we have turned every major intersection into a roundabout.

In Paris it is more the combination of the total volume of traffic, travelling at high speeds bumper to bumper plus and add in motor cycles buzzing in an out between the lanes. It leaves no margin for error. If you leave an appropriate space between yourself and the next vehicle, that space will be filled with another vehicle instantly. I didn't enjoy driving 90 kmh (55mph) with only 5 feet between myself and the vehicle ahead and behind. If you left more than 5 feet a motorcycle uses it as a pass through. Any error and you have a 6 car pile-up.
I didn't find it easy, exhilarating maybe. This video is exactly how it was when we drove through.
Here is another good one:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I have been to Paris dozens of times on business. I never stayed in a Marriott - - primarily because they were overpriced. I typically would stay at a quaint and small hotel in an area that was close to a lot of attractions, close to the metro and considered fairly safe. Sometimes I would stay at Le Meridien, North of l'etoile. Before traveling I would research the transit system and would get a week or a month pass that could be used on either the metro or the bus plus the trains close-in to Paris. At the time, for convenience, I brought a picture of myself to affix to the pass.

To the original poster, I suggest that you check out the getaways for Paris. Last time I looked I thought that they had favorable pricing.

BTW, most of the hotel rooms that I stayed in were really small. They are a shock when comparing them to a timeshare. But they were clean, quiet, and convenient.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
BTW, most of the hotel rooms that I stayed in were really small. They are a shock when comparing them to a timeshare. But they were clean, quiet, and convenient.

OP is staying at the Marriott timeshare at EuroDisney, 30 minutes away by train, and anywhere between 20-180 minutes away by car, depending how crazy Paris traffic is right now.

I've considered staying there because it's an easy trade. But Disney isn't for me. So I stay out in the 'burbs, close to a Metro stop.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
^This. Also describes the 5 between LA and San Francisco the day before Thanksgiving. Almost bumper-to-bumper, 110 kmh (70 mph), add numerous semis to the mix. Constant passing back and forth. Only two lanes each direction. Many sudden slow-downs with high risk of rear-ending if not paying attention. A good 500+ km (300+ miles) of hair-raising fun.

Ixchel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Ocean
Marriott Vacation Club
Shell Vacation Club SFW
Rent a car definitely for day trips but don't use it to go to Disneyland. Use the bus, direct from outside the resort to right outside the park entrance. A lot, lot cheaper than parking and easier to get to and from the park entrance.

Do you pay the bus fare in Euros ( cash) on boarding, or do you need to have a pre- purchased ticket?

Does the bus which stops outside the Marriott go to the Archana supermarket?