• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii versus The Caribbean

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Fly, no ferry. That's why it's an issue. Giving back a rental car. Going through
Security. Getting another rental car and getting more groceries. It's amazing
How much of the day is shot with that short inter island flight. I don't like to do
It because we always plan to return every year but if you don't or may not, it
Makes sense. You have to go to certain islands to see certain things. We're only doing it next year
Because we had an exchange we had to use up and Maui's the only island we haven't
Been to yet and we we're able to get the exchange we wanted.:D

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
We have been to many Islands in the Caribbean, and all of the Hawaiian Islands except Kauai. I love both, but the feel is different no matter where you go. I just purchased R/T for 9/1-9/15 from JFK for $1,000 to Kauai. If you drive to JFK and stay at a cheap hotel the night before, you can leave your car for free while you are in Hawaii. Hawaii is a must if you have never been there.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer Hawaii over the Caribbean too. As others have mentioned you should probably do at least one Hawaiian vacation to decide for yourself. It really is a matter of personal preference.

I think the Caribbean offers even prettier locations than Hawaii, but somehow Hawaii feels like home. We go for several weeks every year. I will still do some Caribbean vacations, but my main destination will be Hawaii. For me, it takes about the same time going either direction.

When I go to the Caribbean, I have a great time, but after 7 to 10 days, I'm ready to go back home. After two or three weeks in Maui I'm ready to move there and my whole family is sad to leave.

I agree with the post above - 1week, stick to one island. 2 or more, explore a little bit. Each island is very different from the others. Which one is best is a highly personal preference.

I love different cultures. I have been to several continents. However, the first time I went to Hawaii, my son got appendicitis and had to be operated. I was glad to be in a US location and what could have been a terrible event was not too bad on Maui. Locals would prefer the mainland for medical care, but the care there was much better than anything in the Caribbean.

In short, regardless of what place is better, go to Hawaii at least once and make up your mind for yourself.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Still, island hopping (although I wouldn't recommend less than a week on each island) is well worth it compared to taking multiple trips. The longer you can stay in Hawaii on a trip, the better value it is.

For us, airfare is typically around $2500 (total for 5). Timeshares (for us) are typically $500 or less per week. Rental cars are typically $200 per week. Groceries (mostly from Costco) aren't much more than at home, so I don't even count that. Interisland flights are under $500 (for 5).

So a one week trip would be $3200. Each additional week is no more than $700 (on the same island) or $1200 (on a different island).

For less than the price of a second one week trip, we could extend a one week, one island trip to be a four week, three island trip.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I've been to all four of the main Hawaiian islands and many Caribbean islands. I'd choose Hawaii any day, even though it's farther from Chicago.

In most cases, Hawaii is less expensive and safer. In a lot of respects, going to Hawaii is like visiting a foreign country. But the people are friendlier, money doesn't have to be exchanged, the scenery is incredible, and you can see several eco-systems on one island. Plus I don't like renting cars in foreign countries.

There's something about Hawaii that makes me relax unlike any other place on Earth. And I've developed a weird "connection" to the islands, like coming home. Wish I could afford to move there!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I've been to all four of the main Hawaiian islands and many Caribbean islands. I'd choose Hawaii any day, even though it's farther from Chicago.

In most cases, Hawaii is less expensive and safer. In a lot of respects, going to Hawaii is like visiting a foreign country. But the people are friendlier, money doesn't have to be exchanged, the scenery is incredible, and you can see several eco-systems on one island. Plus I don't like renting cars in foreign countries.

There's something about Hawaii that makes me relax unlike any other place on Earth. And I've developed a weird "connection" to the islands, like coming home. Wish I could afford to move there!

I always say Hawaii is a tropical paradise where everything works just like being home. Once you slow down to Hawaii time you never want to leave.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I'm in the like both destinations boat. We have been to most of the Hawaiian Islands and the one thing I can say is things are expencive over there.

Water and scuba is better in the Caribean. Water is warmer.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I lived close to either coast, I'd develop a real like for whichever place was closer/cheaper to get to. But since it's about 6 of one and a half dozen of the other and my name isn't Rockefeller, I'll take Hawaii- and more specifically, Maui. We're not particularly 'beachy'- if you saw us on a beach, you'd call the cetacian rescue folks. Beached marine mammals. We just happen to 'fit' better with the Hawaiians- it's that poi, I think.

There's definitely something to be said for either. After all, the worst vacation in paradise would beat a week or two at work.

Jim

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
We have been to several caribbean islands and Ohau/Kaui/Maui and the big Island Hawaii.

For us Maui is by far the best. The flight from chicago is not fun but once you are there it is like heaven.

It is really what you want for us Maui has a good mix of tropical island and a city to do things at night.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
....one island for two weeks or two islands. If two islands, Kauai and Maui or Kauai and the Big Island.
Big Island and Maui OR Big Island for two weeks...

Water and scuba is better in the Caribean. Water is warmer.
Definitively different... but better is a little like comparing apples and oranges.
We have dove a lot in both and while Hawaii doesn't have the sponges, and extensive coral ... it has a number of different thinks to offer instead. :ponder: Especially the fact that ~ 35% of the sea life in Hawaii is not found anywhere else in the world... We spend about $12/day for the two of us to dive two dives on Maui. Two Step on the Big Island is hard to beat.

On the other hand we have done some amazing boat dives in the Caribbean including the RMS Rhone twice and the Wit Shoal II.

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
No gambling in Hawaii

Another major difference than some of the Carib Islands. It's not needed in Hawaii to entertain yourself. I've seen some tuggers say an Island like the Caymans can be boring for a week stay which has no gambling.

But I do enjoy Aruba because it does have gambling even though I always lose.

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in Northern Illinois and usually fly out of Chicago. I definitely prefer Hawaii (really any of the major islands) over anything I have been to in the Caribbean. I am partial to Oahu (of course that is where I own) because of the variability and abundance of activies. Oahu has everything from pristine isolated beaches to a congested urban environment with almost all the major ammenities of almost any larger city. Although Maui, Kaui, and the Big Island have great features as well( I am in Maui now).

I agree with above that there is a certain amount of security that comes with it being part of the US. Although I do also agree that a nice part of the Caribbean is differrent cultures.

I went to Maui first so I find myself also saying to myself that " this isn't Hawaii" when I go to the Caribbean. But I do think there are great Islands there that when I can go cheaper I do go and visit. I definitely go to Hawaii at least once a year and try to hit the Caribean at least once a year

I also agree with above that for me Hawaii is always 2 weeks(or more) and if it is only 1 week the Caribbean is probably better flying from Chicago (or Milwaukee), at least for me.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
We've been alternating between St. John and Maui, and both absolutely have merit. Both are drop-dead beautiful in their own way, though Hawaii's beauty is much fiercer. In Hawaii, I'm not at ease in the ocean the way that I am in the Caribbean. I don't know how to explain it except I get the feeling that nature isn't to be trifled with in Hawaii.

The Caribbean Sea is calmer (most of the time), and far less intimidating -- at least outside of hurricane season! And the water has that incredible shade of turquoise that is just jaw-dropping. I'd have no qualms letting my kids swim at most of the Caribbean beaches. Though the downtown area of Cruz Bay is much dirtier than anyplace I've been to in Hawaii.

Hawaii positives
  • Year-round perfect weather on the drier sides of the islands.
  • Not as humid as the Caribbean in the summer
  • A US State, so no Customs headaches
  • Communication with folks back on the mainland is better and cheaper -- wifi is everywhere, and cell phones work most places for no extra roaming charges.
  • Food is about 30% more expensive than back home. St. John is about 100% more expensive.
  • Car rentals are reasonably priced
  • So much to do! Biking, hiking, horseback riding, ATVing, snorkeling, boat trips, etc.
  • Feeling welcomed from the locals
  • Roads are better paved
  • Whales!
  • Draws people from all over the world
  • No obvious clash of classes (haves vs. have nots)
  • Locals have a connection, and obvious respect for their land. You won't see them littering, for instance.
  • It's so far away that you really feel like you're getting away from it all

Hawaii negatives
  • Cost to get there ($1100-1200 in economy vs. $500-600 for Caribbean)
  • Total travel time
  • Red-eye returns and jet lag/time zone adjustment are much worse
  • Property taxes for timeshare owners are very high
  • Unfavorable check-out times (10 or 11am check-out with flights home leaving at 8 or 9pm) that leave me orphaned on the last day. I hate that.
  • It's sooooo far away
  • Difficult to justify going for just one week. No such limitations in the Caribbean.
Caribbean positives
  • Ease of travel from the East Coast/Midwest
  • Cost of travel - nearly 50% cheaper in terms of $$ and miles
  • Warmer water - no wetsuit required most of the year
  • Easier snorkeling entry
  • Calmer seas - safer for swimming
  • Not as windy
  • Tons of uncrowded sandy beaches
  • Can go barefoot in the water
  • Can get by on taxi service most of the time
  • Allowed to bring alcohol on the beach or walk around with a beer in town
  • Completely unpretentious. No Louis Vuitton shoppes here.
  • Communication (wifi/cellphones) is so spotty that you have no choice but to get away from it all.

Caribbean negatives
  • Hurricane season!
  • Having to go through Customs on the return home and if island hopping to non-US islands
  • Cost of food is astronomical
  • Racial tension between haves and have nots - it's suppressed, but it exists
  • Humidity in summer
  • Throngs of cruise ship/day visitors can ruin your day at the beach
  • Not as much to do if you like touristy things
  • Not as well maintained as Hawaii
  • Considered interational for most cell phone plans. (Verizon calls cost $1.99/minute + roaming)

In short, if you haven't been to Hawaii OR the Caribbean, I'd say it's worth the trip to experience both.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Unfavorable check-out times (10 or 11am check-out with flights home leaving at 8 or 9pm) that leave me orphaned on the last day. I hate that.

Excellent summary of positives and negatives. We finally decided that the best solution to being orphaned was to book the plane the night before the checkout day. It seemed extravagant when we were paying for a hotel, but not as much once we got a timeshare. It's so nice not to get rushed to pack, get a good rest in the afternoon, and have one last restaurant meal before taking the red eye home.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We've done both. really like Hawaii, but we usually had only could do a one week trip because of kid's school break. From the Midwest doing a week to Hawaii with long flight and time zone changes would have been brutal. (We did it once without kids for a company award and it was hard for adults!). So we've done 15 years of spring breaks in the Caribbean and have loved it..Beautiful blue waters, nice people, no jet lag!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
we have done Maui, K, BI, and Oahu. I like 1 week each for 2 islands on a 2 week trip, but I could do BI for 2 weeks--just b/c it is so large and varied and it's my favorite. For a 1st trip, I would do 2 islands--1 week each and see how hooked you get to come back. Depending when you want to go, HGVC and Wyndham both deposit bulks of weeks. This year, we are doing HNL for 3 days (FF miles--have to go to HNL anyway, and we are going to see Pearl Harbor), then on to Kona for 12 days.
East Coast flight using FF miles is a bear---KOA-HNL-ORD-DCA (leaving at 1:30pm--arriving noon the next day)! have fun. Elaine

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love Kaui best out of all of the Hawaiian Islands followed by Maui. Oahu is worth a trip, but once is enough IMO. I love the Hawaiian Islands for the natural lush beauty, the whales, the surf, the people , and for so many other reasons. However the white/pink sand beaches and turquoise water of the caribbean islands is unmatched on any beach/island in Hawaii. The crystal clear water in the carribbean, the coral reefs, and the swimming/diving snorkeling is much better in the carribbean. Standing in chest deep water counting your toes is something you can't do in Hawaii. Walking up and down the beach and swimming without swim shoes is unwise on all/most Hawaiian beaches. I rarelly pack swim shoes when going to the caribbean because the sand is soft, powdery, and there are no rocks. Hawaii has the waterfalls I miss in the caribbean, the whales, the lush green mountains, and so much undeveloped natural tropical beauty. Ilove both the Caribbean and Hawaii for different and even for the same reasons.

Overall if it was the same distance to both and if air fares were comparable I would prefer Hawaii. However from the east coast the trip to Hawaii has become almost unbearable both expense wise and time wise. My job does not allow me to be gone for 2 or 3 consecutive weeks, so a one week trip is my only option. The last time I went to Kauai it was 24 hours (real time) from when I woke up in Atlanta to get ready until I placed my key in the door at my room. Layovers, plane changes, getting the rental car, etc took forever. The first day in Hawaii I wake up at 6 am central like I always do, yet it is 1 am local time and pitch black outside. We try to go back to sleep and find ourselves wide awake at 3 or 4 am because your body thinks it is 8 or 9 am central. First day or 2 you live exhausted until you adjust to the time change. Finally after 8 or 9 days you fly home FOREVER to arrive at home around 8 am central with jet lag and a body thinking it is 3 am and wondering why the sun is up. For 2 days after i come home I am worn out and walking around like a zombie. On top of that the average R/T flight for 2 to Hawaii is about $2400 from Atlanta coach. Coach is miserable on 12 plus hour flights but R/T first class to Hawaii is around $6000 f0or 2.

Flights to the caribbean are about half of what flights to hawaii cost from the east coast. R/T flights to Aruba, St Maarten, etc, run about $1200 for 2 coach to almost any caribbean island, about $3000 first class. It is not just the air fare savings that make the caribbean so much more attractive that Hawaii. Contrast the miserable Hawaii time zone adjustments and 12 plus hour flights travelling from the east coast to Hawaii with a trip from the east coast to the carribbean. Fly from Atlanta to almost any caribbean island in about 4 hours. Time zone change, none for eastern, one hour for central. Fly out at 8 am, arrive at noon, be at the room by one. No jet lag, no tiring flights. . On the trip home fly out at 3pm, land at 7 pm. Drive home, wash clothes, watch TV, and go to work the next day rested and relaxed.

As I have gotten older I choose the carribbean over Hawaii. I sold my Hawaii timeshares and now own in Aruba and used to own in St maarten (recently sold St maarten). To quote my brother after he returned home from his last trip to Maui: " If I win another free incentive trip to Hawaii I am not going. The long flights and jet lag are too miserable." I used to disagree, but as I get older I am starting to feel the same way.

Last edited:

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to explain it except I get the feeling that nature isn't to be trifled with in Hawaii.

Exactly what my husband and I were just talking about why we like Hawaii more than the Caribbean. Respect for the 'aina...it is a very powerful feeling there, and we like that.

There are many, many reasons we would take Hawaii over the Caribbean any day.

Just booked our trip for next January. In order to get free tickets using our miles for all three of us, we had to add 3 days on Kauai to our 2 week trip to Maui. Such a bummer... ;)

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent summary of positives and negatives. We finally decided that the best solution to being orphaned was to book the plane the night before the checkout day. It seemed extravagant when we were paying for a hotel, but not as much once we got a timeshare. It's so nice not to get rushed to pack, get a good rest in the afternoon, and have one last restaurant meal before taking the red eye home.

We tried this last Sept. when we were in HI for 2 weeks. Since it was a 2-week trip, we didn't mind so much giving up the final partial day. And it was so much better to have our room the full day up until we had to leave for the airport.

We've had a lot of great trips to the Caribbean and echo other comments about the snorkeling/diving, water and sand there. IMO, though, there can be quite a difference in your experience, depending on the island.

HI, OTOH, is a relatively consistent experience in terms of culture and comfort between the islands. We're headed to Belize this Spring, so we'll see what we think after that one. :D

Last edited:

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
unless you can fly non stop to Hawaii from the midwest or east coast we find it is easier to fly half way to change flites rather than one short and one really long flite.

takes several days to recover from the return.:zzz:

sterling

kwilson

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the 2 weeks in one location theory. We are well into our first of 2 weeks in the same unit at the Wyndham Royal Sea Cliff on the BI. It is so comfortable knowing we don't have the moving hassle to look forward to. And 2 weeks allows time to really relax.
Last year we did a 2 week cruise in the Carribean. There is no question in my mind. Hawaii is best. As they say on Maui, 'No Ka Oi'.

BTW, picked up a 365 pound Blue Marlin yesterday!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
We've been alternating between St. John and Maui, and both absolutely have merit. Both are drop-dead beautiful in their own way, though Hawaii's beauty is much fiercer. In Hawaii, I'm not at ease in the ocean the way that I am in the Caribbean. I don't know how to explain it except I get the feeling that nature isn't to be trifled with in Hawaii.

The Caribbean Sea is calmer (most of the time), and far less intimidating -- at least outside of hurricane season! And the water has that incredible shade of turquoise that is just jaw-dropping. I'd have no qualms letting my kids swim at most of the Caribbean beaches. Though the downtown area of Cruz Bay is much dirtier than anyplace I've been to in Hawaii.

Hawaii positives
  • Year-round perfect weather on the drier sides of the islands.
  • Not as humid as the Caribbean in the summer
  • A US State, so no Customs headaches
  • Communication with folks back on the mainland is better and cheaper -- wifi is everywhere, and cell phones work most places for no extra roaming charges.
  • Food is about 30% more expensive than back home. St. John is about 100% more expensive.
  • Car rentals are reasonably priced
  • So much to do! Biking, hiking, horseback riding, ATVing, snorkeling, boat trips, etc.
  • Feeling welcomed from the locals
  • Roads are better paved
  • Whales!
  • Draws people from all over the world
  • No obvious clash of classes (haves vs. have nots)
  • Locals have a connection, and obvious respect for their land. You won't see them littering, for instance.
  • It's so far away that you really feel like you're getting away from it all

Hawaii negatives
  • Cost to get there ($1100-1200 in economy vs. $500-600 for Caribbean)
  • Total travel time
  • Red-eye returns and jet lag/time zone adjustment are much worse
  • Property taxes for timeshare owners are very high
  • Unfavorable check-out times (10 or 11am check-out with flights home leaving at 8 or 9pm) that leave me orphaned on the last day. I hate that.
  • It's sooooo far away
  • Difficult to justify going for just one week. No such limitations in the Caribbean.
Caribbean positives
  • Ease of travel from the East Coast/Midwest
  • Cost of travel - nearly 50% cheaper in terms of $$ and miles
  • Warmer water - no wetsuit required most of the year
  • Easier snorkeling entry
  • Calmer seas - safer for swimming
  • Not as windy
  • Tons of uncrowded sandy beaches
  • Can go barefoot in the water
  • Can get by on taxi service most of the time
  • Allowed to bring alcohol on the beach or walk around with a beer in town
  • Completely unpretentious. No Louis Vuitton shoppes here.
  • Communication (wifi/cellphones) is so spotty that you have no choice but to get away from it all.

Caribbean negatives
  • Hurricane season!
  • Having to go through Customs on the return home and if island hopping to non-US islands
  • Cost of food is astronomical
  • Racial tension between haves and have nots - it's suppressed, but it exists
  • Humidity in summer
  • Throngs of cruise ship/day visitors can ruin your day at the beach
  • Not as much to do if you like touristy things
  • Not as well maintained as Hawaii
  • Considered interational for most cell phone plans. (Verizon calls cost $1.99/minute + roaming)

In short, if you haven't been to Hawaii OR the Caribbean, I'd say it's worth the trip to experience both.

Good Comparison...I will add a few extras

Having been to nearly every caribbean island and nearly every hawaiian island, there are different things about each, so it is hard to do an apples to apples comparison.

Hawaii
Pros:
very diverse climatic zones in a small space
drive up volcano
whales (In season) and Manta Rays and Turtles (all the time)
Diverse and very endemic fish population
Good shore snorkeling in scuba diving

Cons:
Not really good beaches everywhere (in place yes, but not widespread)
Water is dark deep blue and not the caribbean sandbar, and sand
There is a Typhon season however the Pacific is Huge and the islands are small and in the middle.

Caribbean
Pros:
Very diverse islands and cultures, could take years to visit them all.
Beautiful blue green water, better beaches, generally
Some islands are cleaper than others, and less commericial then others
Island hopping by sailboat and/or ferry is easier, as you are covering smaller distances

Cons:
Some islands are very expensive and upscale resort areas, with poor populations just next door.

Living in Texas, the caribbean is an easier flight, but not by much. I generally try to use my FF miles for either Hawaii or Caribbean and have NOT had to pay for a flight to either location in the last 15 years. Lucky I have lots of FF miles. I generally do to HI every 2 -3 years, and I go to the caribbean 1 or 2 times a year.

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Being from the East Coast, if I only have one week, I go to the Caribbean or Mexico, if I have two or more weeks I go to Hawaii. Hawaii is hands down my favorite place on earth. I love the beauty, the convenience of the shopping, the lifestyle. When I go on vacation I want to be part of that world and when I go to the Caribbean, I feel like I am part of the resort, even on safer islands such as Aruba. The goal is to work up to 4 weeks a year on Hawaii.

I agree with Momma. We love Hawaii, but we also enjoy several Caribbean islands. Often the airfare is similar but the flight time is not (4 hrs vs 10 hrs)! So we always do 2 weeks in Hawaii and will do either one or two weeks in the Caribbean. We also can't wait for the day we can do a month in Hawaii.

Hawaii is so beautiful. Each caribbean island is different, some are prettier than others. But all of them are perfect for a laid back beach vacation.

I say, don't choose. Do both! :D

Norma