• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii trade?

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any chance at a 9 month out to get a reservation on an island in Hawaii? I assume no.

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
You assume wrong. I've gone to Oahu every year for five years with my HGVC points, sometimes twice a year. I book studios for two weeks in the fall. About 2/3 of the time I've booked at 9 months, the other 1/3 about 5-6 months out.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
You assume wrong. I've gone to Oahu every year for five years with my HGVC points, sometimes twice a year. I book studios for two weeks in the fall. About 2/3 of the time I've booked at 9 months, the other 1/3 about 5-6 months out.

REALLY!!!!! Well, you just made my day. I have a search in with II with my Marriott Aruba.:cheer:

We would need a 2 bedroom and borrow ahead with points. I'll try for sure!

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
A week ago, I reserved a 1 bdrm at HGV-Lagoon Tower for 3 nights during Thanksgiving. If I had enough points, I could have gotten a 5 night stay.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Is there any chance at a 9 month out to get a reservation on an island in Hawaii? I assume no.

In the past, HGVC owners were normally able to get reservations at the Hawaii resorts without much trouble. BUT recently there have been reports that that isn't true any longer. BUT with both a new tower opening at HHV and part of the new King's Land resort opening, getting into Hawaii may get easier again.

wmmmmm

TUG Member
Reaction score
At 9 months out, you should be able to find all rooms except for the Penthouses at HHV. But if you really need a garden view 2bd, they are the first to run out (last time I looked, they were out by 8 months out for Summer 08). However, if you can go to the Bay Club, their 2 bd units are much easier to get.

PS. Since my first purchase in 2000 (at HHV), I've been to Hawaii every year but I only book 9 months out. I've never stayed on a Home Season reservation!

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Double wow. I have my Marriott Aruba 2 bedroom looking for a trade into Hawaii - but now I have less to worry about - I may be able to get Hilton for one week, Marriott for the other- and if Marriott doesn't come through - I have hotel certs from Marriott. I have my first class air (wow - FF miles - though premium - worth it).

So tell me about the resorts and which you like best. I will be traveling with my 14 and 11 year olds (and husband).

We fly into Oahu and out of Kauai. So we will do the second week in Kauai even if we have to stay at the hotel with the certs.

The first week we can stay anywhere - we can take a shuttle to the big Island, which is kind of what I wanted to do - thought that would be better than Oahu - but I'm open to suggestions. Thank you. :cheer:

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Zac: Nice to hear from you again. If you want to try a stay at HGVC in Hawaii, put in your request now. There is a very good chance you will get it 9 months in advance. I have never had a problem booking HGVC 9 months in advance. However, if you wait 6 months, you may have a problem. The TSs on the big Island are very nice too. If you are going as a couple only, the hotel resorts on the big Island, Oahu, and Kaui are excellent and would cost 175,000 HHonors points for six days if your go global.

We just returned from Whistler, BC after a stay at Club Intrawest. We booked that one 9 months in advance without difficulty.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Oahu was the problem location is past year, but with the opening of the new Tower things should be better. There will likely be Waikikian availability remaining when Kalia and Lagoon are booked up, as they are much lower point levels than Waikikian.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
If view is important to you (based on your "Hilton Orlando - ugliest view" thread), you might want to reserve a plus or premier villa at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Oahu.

Note: Plus and Premier units require more Club Points

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Zac: Nice to hear from you again. If you want to try a stay at HGVC in Hawaii, put in your request now. There is a very good chance you will get it 9 months in advance. I have never had a problem booking HGVC 9 months in advance. However, if you wait 6 months, you may have a problem. The TSs on the big Island are very nice too. If you are going as a couple only, the hotel resorts on the big Island, Oahu, and Kaui are excellent and would cost 175,000 HHonors points for six days if your go global.

We just returned from Whistler, BC after a stay at Club Intrawest. We booked that one 9 months in advance without difficulty.

Well hello! And I can ask before 9 months? 9 months from my check in would be around Oct. 3 (we go July 3) HUH! I didn't know that. I'm more of a Marriott know-it-all. THANKS!!! We're taking the kids, plus we bought resale so I don't think we can convert...

Last edited:

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
If view is important to you (based on your "Hilton Orlando - ugliest view" thread), you might want to reserve a plus or premier villa at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Oahu.

Note: Plus and Premier units require more Club Points

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am remembered.:hysterical: Not so sure that's such a good thing - but THANK YOU!!! I will look into that!!!

I only have 5000 pts, but I will borrow ahead so I have enough for 2 bed. If I get a trade in Hawaii - I promise not to post another ugliest view post. LOL.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Well hello! And I can ask before 9 months? 9 months from my check in would be around Oct. 3 (we go July 3) HUH! I didn't know that. I'm more of a Marriott know-it-all. THANKS!!! We're taking the kids, plus we bought resale so I don't think we can convert...

You can't request before 9 months since you don't own there. HGVC Club Season actually begins 9 months before check-out.
NOTE: HGVC changed the rule from check-in to check-out.

Last edited:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I promise not to post another ugliest view post. LOL.

You may end up posting the ugliest view post again if you get a standard 7000 point 2 bedroom garden view. You will get to look at the back of the parking garage and convention center!:eek:

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Points are Points with HGVC

Good news. You can convert HGCV points to HHonors points. Unlike Marriott, Hilton does not discriminate against owners who purchase resale when it comes to point conversion. Your points will be treated just as any other members points unless you are at the elite plus level or higher. What does that mean? It means you can convert your 2009 points to HHonors but cannot convert your 2008 points to HHonors. If you were at the Hilton elite plus level, you could do a same year conversion.

I am submitting a photo of our view from the HGVC lagoon tower room taken in October of 2004. I did not write a review on our stay because I only learned about TUG recently. However, I also saw the Marriott TSs in Aruba in August 2004 and the HGVC lagoon tower suites in Honolulu are even nicer in my opinion.

Attachments

• 0777672-R1-034-15A.jpg
    0777672-R1-034-15A.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 48

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may end up posting the ugliest view post again if you get a standard 7000 point 2 bedroom garden view. You will get to look at the back of the parking garage and convention center!:eek:

Oh...
So how many points would I need to get a better view? I mean - I can use 10,000 pts, right? I have 5000 - and can borrow 5000 from next year. I think.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
REALLY!!!!! Well, you just made my day. I have a search in with II with my Marriott Aruba.:cheer:

We would need a 2 bedroom and borrow ahead with points. I'll try for sure!

I'm a little confused. You're trying to trade into HGVC, which exchanges through RCI, using a Marriott week you deposited with I.I.? If you're attempting to do that, then you're going to be dissapointed. You can't get a HGVC exchange using an I.I. deposit.

If you own with Hilton then yes, getting Hawaii at the 9 month mark isn't that hard of an exchange using Hilton's internal exchange program. But you're not going to deposit a Marriott week with I.I. and get a Hilton exchange with RCI.

Your Marriott exchange question probably should be posted in the Marriott forums and yes, it will be more difficult getting a Hawaii exchange through Marroitt than it is asking for the same exchange through Hilton, although it is possible and very likely you can get the exchange.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. You're trying to trade into HGVC, which exchanges through RCI, using a Marriott week you deposited with I.I.? If you're attempting to do that, then you're going to be dissapointed. You can't get a HGVC exchange using an I.I. deposit.

If you own with Hilton then yes, getting Hawaii at the 9 month mark isn't that hard of an exchange using Hilton's internal exchange program. But you're not going to deposit a Marriott week with I.I. and get a Hilton exchange with RCI.

Your Marriott exchange question probably should be posted in the Marriott forums and yes, it will be more difficult getting a Hawaii exchange through Marroitt than it is asking for the same exchange through Hilton, although it is possible and very likely you can get the exchange.

Sorry - no. I have Marriott looking AND I will try to look with Hilton. Thank you!

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How many points you need for a better view depends upon if you are going in gold season or platinum season. It also depends if you want a 1 bedroom or 2bedroom suite. To know what season it is you need to go to the HGVC website and pull up the club manual. This may be found at www.hgvclub.com. If you have not yet visited this site you will need your HGVC club member number to register. The Club member guide is found under My Resources. Check out the Lagoon Tower where we stayed several years ago. A two bedroom premier is 7000 points in gold season and 9600 points in platinum season for one week. A regular two bedroom is 5000 points in gold season and 7000 points in platinum season for one week. If you check under reference, there is a planning calender on the last page that goes week by week for a three year time span.

I know that you are new to the Hilton system. I hope this is the information you were looking for.

Last edited:

HatTrick

Reaction score
Ellen, you'll be in Platinum season if you're going to Oahu in July. With 10,000 points you can get a standard 2-bedroom in the Lagoon Tower (mountain/garden/partial ocean view; 7000 pts), a 2-bedroom Plus (ocean view; 8400 pts) or a 2-bedroom Premier (penthouse or ocean front; 9600 pts). There's also a 3-bedroom penthouse for 9600 pts, but it's rarely available.

Right now, you can go online and look at availabilities through June 2nd, 2009. So you're a little over a month away from being able to book. My advice is to log onto the HGVC online reservations site regularly--you never know when someone will change an existing reservation or have to give one up.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
One more thing to consider since you're thinking about staying July 3 .......

It seems like the area around the Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV) will be very crowded for the 4th July (see link to article below regarding the fireworks at nearby Ala Moana Beach Park). If you don't like crowds you might want to avoid HHV this week.

50,000 expected for park fireworks - http://starbulletin.com/2008/07/03/news/story08.html
Hawaii's largest 4th of July fireworks show - http://www.khon2.com/home/ticker/23418679.html

Map - http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/oahu_airport_waikiki.html (see lower right hand side of map for Hilton Hawaiian Village and Ala Moana Beach Park (#13 on the map))

If you decide to go to HHV during the 4th of July, I would avoid driving on the 4th of July. I would expect it to be a nightmare trying to get in and out of the area.