• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii GET & TAT Rental Tax

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
i assume I got this from Marriott since I just closed on a MOC week.

Is this the day tax the resort collects or something I need to file if renting out unit. I'm not sure yet, if Redweek or Vacation Candy deduct from rent and/or file.

Experiences?

NOTICE REGARDING HAWAII TAXES
The State of Hawaii imposes a General Excise Tax ("GET") and Transient Accommodations Tax ("TAT") on the proceeds of the rental of timeshare interests. If you elect to rent your timeshare interest whether on your own, through Marriott or through another operator, please note that unless arrangements are made for collection and payment of these taxes, you may be liable for the payment of both the GET and TAT due on the rental proceeds. Failure to timely remit these taxes to the Department of Taxation of the State of Hawaii may result in the assessment of the taxes, interest and penalties against you. Any such liability may be in addition to any federal or Hawaii income tax requirements.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Here's the deal - the State of Hawaii has no idea if you rent your timeshare - unless you tell them. This is just a CYA move from Marriott, so they can "say" that they did their duty by informing you. It's the last you will hear about it.

Marriott does not collect this info, nor report it to the state.

Redweek and Vacation Candy do not get involved in taxes either.

Redweek is just a listing site - when you rent there - you handle the payment.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course, if you are going to make a business out of renting in Hawaii, it is probably a good idea to register and pay taxes.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Business? I thought the OP just owned one Hawaii timeshare?

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Maybe it's a very, very small business? :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Of course, if you are going to make a business out of renting in Hawaii, it is probably a good idea to register and pay taxes.

If you are actually wondering if Redweek or Vacation Candy should be paying this tax, it's not their responsibility. It's the owner of the timeshare who has to pay it - similar to the owner paying income tax on the rental. It would be like asking the rental company to pay your income tax - doesn't work that way.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Reviving a very old thread... does anyone have any recent updates on the practical way of dealing with TAT and GET?

If you regularly rent timeshares you own in Hawaii, it's pretty straightforward. You open TAT and GET accounts and you regularly report your earnings and pay the taxes on those. You file nonresident income tax return every year and pay that tax too.

But if you're someone who owns a Hawaii timeshare which they usually use personally, but just once in a while might choose to rent it, it's not so clear. There's a pretty significant administrative burden to setting up accounts which then require regular reporting, even when you have no income to report, along with the requirement to file Hawaii state income tax returns. And from what I've been able to ascertain, once you set up a GET and TAT account, you have to keep filing reports every six months (or more frequently) even if you only rent your timeshare once every few years, or you'll be fined.

I wish one of the timeshare rental platforms could collect and submit all the taxes on behalf of owners. That would make things so much easier and I'd patronize such a site. I really don't want to go through all of this hassle for an occasional rental. What are the chances the state will know? Does using Redweek, Go-Koala, or similar sites increase the likelihood of enforcement?

I'm all for paying the state their due, but they just make it awfully difficult and complicated to do so.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
FWIW, Vacation Candy now collects and pays GET/TAT out of the gross rental amount. I also expect everyone will be getting 1099s this year, due to the new lower limits, from any vendor that handles rental fees.

If one does this independently setting up the tax accounts is tedious, but reporting and paying is pretty painless. Depending on gross taxes you’ll file anywhere from quarterly to annually. If no rental income, just report zero and move on. Worth it not to have to recreate accounts in the future.