• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have HGVC Resale Values Hit the Bottom?

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just won 2 EOY Odd Bay Club "A" Penthouse weeks for $548 each, including closing costs.

I guess in order for us to evaluate this purchase/win you'd have to let us know what the HGVC equivalent points are and what the MF's are. Even if they were virtually free units, what's your MF/point ratio?

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess in order for us to evaluate this purchase/win you'd have to let us know what the HGVC equivalent points are and what the MF's are. Even if they were virtually free units, what's your MF/point ratio?

That unit is worth 7000 points. MF are something like $1300 a year if memory serves me right.

Many people on this board will say (time and again) that it is a bad buy because of the high MF. That being said, the low buy in means that it will take upwards Over 10 years for an extra $500 in MF to add up to more than the purchase price of a Vegas or Orlando TS resale for similar points.

It just depends on how much you value money and cash and the risk of value loss.

As I have said time and again, IMHO it is better to pay as little as possible for as much as possible on buy in given the rather insignificant difference (~$500/year) in MF. This way, your potential capital loss on the buy in is mitigated, and your acceptance of liquidation or loss of the unit for nothing becomes more acceptable should that be the case.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Just won 2 EOY Odd Bay Club "A" Penthouse weeks for $548 each, including closing costs.

I bought them for snowbirding in Hawaii, so the point are immaterial...

As far as I am concerned, the $548 each is a pure write-off. The only costs that matter to me are the MFs.

(But yes, you can sometimes make a profit on a timeshare (exclusive of MFs). I bought Marriott Royal Palms Red season in 2012 for $1600 (including closing costs) and sold it back to Marriott early this year for $3700...)

Thats a good price, at the 2008/09 recession bottom they were going for $499 eoy on eBay from the liquidators. I picked up a 1br eoy for $299 about the same time, used it a few years then gave it away here on TUG bargain deals.

No need to pay to enroll it in HGVC if you plan on staying there, you can book just about any week you want as an owner direct with the resort and they will put you in the deeded unit number. We like building 2 or 3, there is a nice hot tub between these buildings that have a nice view of the Kona sunsets. The pool/clubhouse is right across from building 4 and the free shuttle stops right there.

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score

I didn't join the HGVC points system, so the points don't apply for me.

I bought them for staying there each winter for multiple weeks. I pay more for being first in the booking pecking order...

The thread was about the prices bottoming...