• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have DC reservation, trying for II exchange. Unforeseen problems?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
While we signed up right after the program was introduced I'm new to using the DC for reservations.

I've made a reservation at Frenchman's Cove next Jan./Feb. for 12 nights. I called II today to do a request first at FC for 7 of those nights. I'm going to also be trying to rent the unit I'm using for the request first. If it rents, then I stick with the DC reservation.

If the exchange happens I will have to call Owner Services to take back the DC points for the 7 nights involved. These are 2013 points. My checkin is 1/25. What is the 60 day mark where my DC points will become penalty points if I cancel the reservation? 11/25?

What are some details about these DC points and getting them back that I might be missing? I'm thinking if I get them back I can try to rent (sell) them if I can't find a use for them. If the exchange happens before the 60 day mark can I transfer them to someone else with no penalties?

Thanks for any details,
Suzzanne

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Suzanne- one of the experts will have to answer this, but will the points become penalty points because you cancelled a longer reservation leaving less than a 7 day reservation?

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Before the 60 day penalty window (60 days prior to check-in), you can cancel with no problems and the points go back into your account immediately.

I have done this several times already. The points become immediately available for use again.

If its within the 60 window, your points are penality boxed. You can still use them, but only within a 60 day reservation window.

Additionally, I should caution you that if the DC points were borrowed from next year to make the reservation this year, then the points are held hostage in the useage year you cancelled from.

So in your case, if you had borrowed from 2013 points to make the reservation today, and you later cancel the reservation within 60 days of check-in (lets say December 1st), you will get your points back but you will have to use them in 2012 within a 60 day reservation window.

This means you will have to secure a new reservation prior to Dec. 31st with the penalty boxed points or forefit the points.

So be careful to make sure of your travel plans if you borrow points.

If you didn't have to borrow the points, then you don't need to worry about this scenario.

My recommendation would be to try to secure the Rental no later than 11/21 (before the Thanksgiving Holiday, Marriott maybe closed from the 22-25) and then adjust your DC reservation accordingly. Else go ahead with your DC reservation as originally planned.

I hope this helps and does not make it more confusing.

Last edited:

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suzanne- one of the experts will have to answer this, but will the points become penalty points because you cancelled a longer reservation leaving less than a 7 day reservation?

This could be true depending on when the reservation was made. If it was made when you were only allowed to book 7+ days, and now you are reducing it to less than 7 days, those points will be penalty points. Only good for reservations 60 days out and you can not transfer them.

If the reservation was made in the time period when you could make less than 7 day resservations, there will be no penalty unless you cancel less than 60 days out.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
This could be true depending on when the reservation was made. If it was made when you were only allowed to book 7+ days, and now you are reducing it to less than 7 days, those points will be penalty points. Only good for reservations 60 days out and you can not transfer them.

If the reservation was made in the time period when you could make less than 7 day resservations, there will be no penalty unless you cancel less than 60 days out.

Thanks- that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure so I didn't want to mislead anyone.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is exactly why I made my post. I don't know anything about a 7 or 7+ days rule. Does that apply to Premier or Premier Plus or does it have to do with how far out you book the reservation? I made the reservation in early Feb. for next Jan. 25-Feb. 7.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Before the 60 day penalty window (60 days prior to check-in), you can cancel with no problems and the points go back into your account immediately.

I have done this several times already. The points become immediately available for use again.

If its within the 60 window, your points are penality boxed. You can still use them, but only within a 60 day reservation window.

Additionally, I should caution you that if the DC points were borrowed from next year to make the reservation this year, then the points are held hostage in the useage year you cancelled from.

So in your case, if you had borrowed from 2013 points to make the reservation today, and you later cancel the reservation within 60 days of check-in (lets say December 1st), you will get your points back but you will have to use them in 2012 within a 60 day reservation window.

This means you will have to secure a new reservation prior to Dec. 31st with the penalty boxed points or forefit the points.

So be careful to make sure of your travel plans if you borrow points.

If you didn't have to borrow the points, then you don't need to worry about this scenario.

My recommendation would be to try to secure the Rental no later than 11/21 (before the Thanksgiving Holiday, Marriott maybe closed from the 22-25) and then adjust your DC reservation accordingly. Else go ahead with your DC reservation as originally planned.

I hope this helps and does not make it more confusing.

Thanks for the help.

I don't think I borrowed. I used points elected from 2013 weeks for a reservation 1/25/13-2/7/13.

To clarify what I meant about a rental--I have a 1 bedroom from CV that I used for the request first with II. Since it's just a 1 bedroom I wasn't sure it would pull such a prime week at FC but I thought it worth the try. I'm also trying to rent out the same 1 bedroom.

I don't think I want to mess with penalty points unless they are gained by using the pucktrick. The thing about the DC I dislike the most is the possibility of being stuck with points I can't use.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is exactly why I made my post. I don't know anything about a 7 or 7+ days rule. Does that apply to Premier or Premier Plus or does it have to do with how far out you book the reservation? I made the reservation in early Feb. for next Jan. 25-Feb. 7.

Normal owners and premier members have to wait till the 10mo window to book less than 7 days. Only premier plus owners can book reservations less than 7 days between 13-10 months. So since you made your reservation almost a year out, your cancelled points will be penalty boxed, unless you are a premier plus.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Yes, we're Premier Plus so I'm safe with that.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the responses. I try hard to do my homework before posting dumb questions. However, this DC has knocked a hole in my vacation club confidence. I stayed up lated last night re-reading the legal documents and the Sticky for "Summary of New Points System" with the inclusive "Stretch the Value of Points".

I'm going to have to decide on the type of journal or spread sheet to use to keep track of all the bits. On my computer I already have folders for airlines, Marriott/II and various trips where I file reservation confirmations (and cancellation confirmations).

How do others keep track of their weeks/exchanges/etc.?

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
I'm going to have to decide on the type of journal or spread sheet to use to keep track of all the bits. On my computer I already have folders for airlines, Marriott/II and various trips where I file reservation confirmations (and cancellation confirmations).

Pretty much the same way it appears you do. On my computer I have folders with the trip/date..... inside the folder are all the documents....resort reservation, flight arrangements, rental car info and any other documents/info that is pertinent to the trip. I also build a hard copy folder (as the trip materializes) to take with me.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the responses. I try hard to do my homework before posting dumb questions. However, this DC has knocked a hole in my vacation club confidence. I stayed up lated last night re-reading the legal documents and the Sticky for "Summary of New Points System" with the inclusive "Stretch the Value of Points".

I do it the old fashioned way; A calendar and pencil and paper.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch

I have created and Excel spreadsheet using math functions to keeps track of my points banked/borrowed/traded in. Also added a second sheet just to keep track of where I went and how I plan to use future weeks/deposits/lockoffs/DC points.