• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hats off to Alaska airlines

DianeH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Earlier this week I called AS to see what the exact cost would be to us if we cancelled our upcoming flight. During the discussion, the agent said there have been several changes already so you might be able to get a full refund, your companion ticket returned and your miles returned. I told him I wasn't prepared to make the decison yet but gee, I had to cancel 2 flights earlier in the month with the same itinerary for our kids so could those be refunded? All I had gotten was my miles returned and a year to use the credit to our account.

Sure enough, he returned to the phone and said its all taken care of! And our confirmations have been documented with the same approval so if we find we need to cancel, we will have no problem doing so.

I'm impressed and feeling alot better too.

Thanks Alaska :clap:

~Diane

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
AS airlines

Alaska is my airline of choice. It is the airline that comes closest to what an airline should be. Unfortunately, it doesn't fly as many routes as I would like. I am an MVP Gold on Alaska so i get complimentary upgrades to first when available. BTW it is AS not AA. I was confused at first because AA is American Airlines.

DianeH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry about that - I do know better, that is Alaska is AS but I was thinking AA as in Alaska Airlines. :rolleyes:

anyhow, I'm glad you think they are great too - I was anti Alaska for years (after the dreaded horrific MD90 accident) but found they were the only way to my beloved Mazatlan.

I find their service wonderful (except when they ran out of the purchase food one row away from us) and their attendants are friendly and make you feel you are a guest.

I'm sorry they have cut routes too but we love them so much that we will drive to Seattle next March, just to fly with them to Maui.:cheer:

Regards
Diane

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's funny how peoples perceptions of airlines change over the years.

The crash of AS 261 in 2000 was directly attributable to AS maintenance procedures, and the fact that they decided to extend times between inspections of critical parts. The crash occurred because the nut that controlled the horizontal trim of the aircraft had no lubricant on it. The threads on the jackscrew were stripped, and the horizontal control surfaces were uncontrollable. The aircraft crashed into the ocean and everybody aboard was killed.

Basically the airline was trying to save money and increase their profits by skimping on maintenance.

I'm not saying that they still do this. Unfortunately, a bunch of people had to die for them to realize that skimping on maintenance was a bad idea.

This particular crash was interesting for several reasons. The main reason was the lack of lubricant was directly attributable to AS profit motive. The second factor that was exposed is that the MD-83 aircraft has no backup system for the jackscrew assembly, which remains as a weakness on that aircraft. The third factor was the FAA's lax oversight of the airlines and their maintenance procedures.

This crash was covered in depth on the show "Air Emergency" recently, and you can read about the crash and the causes if you are interested in it.

-David

Last edited:

DianeH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree David. I tend to believe that the safest airline is the one that has had a horrific crash because of their negligence.

I also believe that those angels are sitting on the wings of each flight now.

Diane

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree David. I tend to believe that the safest airline is the one that has had a horrific crash because of their negligence.

Well, even with some recent events, Qantas is still the safest airline. They haven't lost anybody yet.

-David

DianeH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again my agreement. Unfortunately they don't fly to anywhere I plan to visit...yet.

Diane

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

I also believe that those angels are sitting on the wings of each flight now.

Diane

I do a bit of work on process safety at chemical facilities. By far the most safety conscious facilities I worked with were former Union Carbide plants (post-Bhopal). But Bhopal is sufficiently far in the past that I suspect that on the whole most the old UC plants aren't that much different from similar facilities.