• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

has wyndham quietly gotten rid of the VIP rci points transfer system?

Xcalibur

Reaction score
HI,

i've historically moved points to rci when I couldn't use them, and used my vip upgrade privileges when doing so... I just checked my points history and it looks like wyndham is not doing the upgrade. I looked on wyndham's website and it looks like they've quietly gotten rid of that benefit. I don't know how they could have gotten rid of it without notifying members... your thoughts?

Xcalibur

Reaction score
specifically, this:
--
Worldwide External Exchange Deposit Unit Size Upgrades (1)
• Upgrade to the next largest unit on all Value and Quiet season deposits.
No - Yes - Yes
--

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are comparing points removed from your Wyndham account to the points coming into your RCI account, Yes?

Could you give an example.?

Xcalibur

Reaction score
You are comparing points removed from your Wyndham account to the points coming into your RCI account, Yes?

Could you give an example.?
yeah, historically, if you moved X points, it would get upgraded to X+Y points when it hits the RCI system. I would historically do that at the end of the year with unused points.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
It Is alive and well. You must call in to receive the upgrade.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
yeah, historically, if you moved X points, it would get upgraded to X+Y points when it hits the RCI system. I would historically do that at the end of the year with unused points.
Call, ask for the benefit deposit a studio for the most points, 35,000 to 63,000 points. I would ask first if the pool has points in it

keno999

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham
Worldmark
Morritt's Grand Tortuga
It Is alive and well. You must call in to receive the upgrade.

Does that work for any VIP level? If so, are you calling RCI to do this? Thanks.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does that work for any VIP level? If so, are you calling RCI to do this? Thanks.
No gold or platium. You call Wyndham. Wyndham is giving you the points not RCI. BE CAREFUL that you talk to a VC that knows the program. The first time I did it I was told I had to contact RCI. Then the box wasn't checked and customer care had to credit my account for the points

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
So, if you do it online, you don't get this 'VIP perk' but you have to call and squeak to get the oil?:ponder: Is this explained in the directory?

I deposited 210k Wyndham CWA points into RCI in December 2017 and got exactly 210k RCI points which are still there!

So, you pick a studio for 35k and you will get an upgrade to 1BR for 63k? At what stage of this deposit transaction does this upgrade option pop up?

1577736219904.png

1577736604791.png

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, if you do it online, you don't get this 'VIP perk' but you have to call and squeak to get the oil?:ponder: Is this explained in the directory?

I deposited 210k Wyndham CWA points into RCI in December 2017 and got exactly 210k RCI points which are still there!

So, you pick a studio for 35k and you will get an upgrade to 1BR for 63k? At what stage of this deposit transaction does this upgrade option pop up?

View attachment 15860

View attachment 15861
Yes it is in the directory on the VIP page about half way down. It takes two days for the points to show up. If you book before you deposit RCI will take your points immediately and not the quiet season points.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes it is in the directory on the VIP page about half way down. It takes two days for the points to show up. If you book before you deposit RCI will take your points immediately and not the quiet season points.

You didn't try it on that form did you?

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE

Jeez! Maybe, I will understand this someday! Right now, my brain can't parse it easily and feel a dull ache!
Exactly how I feel when forced to watch football/baseball/basketball with 'fans' and jargon is flying all around me and above my head! ;)

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You didn't try it on that form did you?

No, I cancelled out of it! I was trying to understand where the upgrade option will show up! I am comfortable playing around on computers and get out before committing the Tx!;)

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Jeez! Maybe, I will understand this someday! Right now, my brain can't parse it easily and feel a dull ache!
Exactly how I feel when forced to watch football/baseball/basketball with 'fans' and jargon is flying all around me and above my head! ;)
This is a holdover from an old benefit that they don't really advertise anymore. It was a part of the system back when you actually reserved a unit through Wyndham and then deposited into rci and they upgraded to a larger (still off season week) for the deposit. It was never taken away completely but it is one of the minutia that old timers and those that ferret through all of the old information to continue what still works as a benefit know about. As mentioned many Wyndham guides are unfamiliar with this benefit. It isn't automatic. You have to make deposits at specific amounts and ask that they be upgraded to higher deposits as they are moved into rci.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
It being the end of the year, I just want to give this old thread a bump to remind all the Gold/Platinum VIP owners out there that using the Unit Upgrade Points Deposit feature is a great way to extend and get more value from your expiring points. I just did this with 35k points, and got 63k points deposited into my RCI account.

To summarize the key points above:
1) You must call in to make use of this benefit, making the RCI deposit on-line does not recognize this benefit.
2) Since this is a legacy benefit they list in the VIP benefits charts - but without a lot of detail - the rep you speak to may not be familiar with it. The magic words that seem to work for me were Unit Upgrade VIP benefit for RCI. And at first the VC, indicated that it required a minimum of 63k (1BR) to do this. But after explaining what I wanted to do (deposit a studio and get a unit upgrade to get credit for a 1BR deposit), she put me on-hold to ask someone else, and then came back confirming that what I wanted to do was possible.
3) The Wyndham points get withdrawn immediately, but it may take up to 48hrs for the RCI points to some up. I think this is a normal, but have not done enough RCI points deposits to know.
4) There is no cost to deposit into RCI.
5) Benefit is only available to Gold/Platinum VIP owners.

Since it is a legacy benefit - somewhat replaced by the unit size upgrade discount - I suspect it is not long for the VIP program.

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@ecwinch, Can you sticky such hidden benefits so it's easily accessible to novices like me! Thank you.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No, I cancelled out of it! I was trying to understand where the upgrade option will show up! I am comfortable playing around on computers and get out before committing the Tx!;)

Well, what do you know? It looks like they posted a 35,000 RCI deposit, anyways. How can they post it when I never went through the confirmation screen? Is there a way to cancel this TX?
I shouldn't be so comfortable monkeying around with Wyndham System! What's my best recourse now?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, what do you know? It looks like they posted a 35,000 RCI deposit, anyways. How can they post it when I never went through the confirmation screen? Is there a way to cancel this TX?
I shouldn't be so comfortable monkeying around with Wyndham System! What's my best recourse now?
If your lucky plead your case tell them you were trying to figure out how to get the discount. The VC forgot to check the box and I received the 27,000 extra points. And when they turn it down do it the right way. Lol

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No, I don't want to deposit into RCI. I already have 210k points there and haven't been able to use them.
I have already used up 2019 points. I was experimenting with 2020 points. I want to cancel the deposit! I hate calling Wyndham but I guess I have to. Should I call Owner Care?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I don't want to deposit into RCI. I already have 210k points there and haven't been able to use them.
I have already used up 2019 points. I was experimenting with 2020 points. I want to cancel the deposit! I hate calling Wyndham but I guess I have to. Should I call Owner Care?
Yes call. But all deposits are final.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you done an ongoing search?

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just managed to get through VIP line in spite of the Dec 31 rush.
Usual formalities. VC Thanks me for my VIP-PLATINUM membership.
I mention that I never confirmed the RCI Deposit and used the 'back' button on the browser without completing it.
(In retrospect, it did bother me that 'leave' or 'stay on page' warning didn't come up!)

Guy says it can't be reversed or canceled. What about the extra 27k points? I have to call RCI.
I read out to him what @ecwinch had written above and asked him to ask someone else for help.
Put on hold. He comes back and says he has to reach out to a support team. On hold again!

Well, he found out more about it and said there is a VIP upgrade option he can check at his end.
I said I don't want any more points taken out of my account. I want the 35K that I already transferred appear as 63k at RCI.
RCI only shows 35k at this time. He said he clicked the upgrade box and I should contact RCI and when I book a studio they will upgrade to a 1BR.
Nothing more he could do!

I am already dreading the call I have to make to RCI! :wall:
I can't wait for a tomorrow when companies make everything available for online self-service and no need for customer service calls!
:(

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just managed to get through VIP line in spite of the Dec 31 rush.
Usual formalities. VC Thanks me for my VIP-PLATINUM membership.
I mention that I never confirmed the RCI Deposit and used the 'back' button on the browser without completing it.
(In retrospect, it did bother me that 'leave' or 'stay on page' warning didn't come up!)

Guy says it can't be reversed or canceled. What about the extra 27k points? I have to call RCI.
I read out to him what @ecwinch had written above and asked him to ask someone else for help.
Put on hold. He comes back and says he has to reach out to a support team. On hold again!

Well, he found out more about it and said there is a VIP upgrade option he can check at his end.
I said I don't want any more points taken out of my account. I want the 35K that I already transferred appear as 63k at RCI.
RCI only shows 35k at this time. He said he clicked the upgrade box and I should contact RCI and when I book a studio they will upgrade to a 1BR.
Nothing more he could do!

I am already dreading the call I have to make to RCI! :wall:
I can't wait for a tomorrow when companies make everything available for online self-service and no need for customer service calls!
:(
RCI knows nothing about it. This is a WYNDHAM program. You have to call Wyndham back. Their upgrade program cost $49 and only if available