• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone stopped paying maintenance fee for Mansfield in Australia?

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
I have tried to deed the weeks back and am getting nowhere, I have contacted Classic and sent notices to the resort to post that I will give them away free. Considering just stop paying the maintenance fees and was wondering the ramifications of doing this. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thank You

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You should just give the units away for free here on TUG. I would think someone would take them. They are less than 1 cent per point, if you have RCI Points. I have kept mine (two of them). The conversion rate of AUS to US Dollar is pretty good most of the time.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just found out from the management company that whomever I give the units to must be a citizen of Australia or New Zealand. Any ideas of where to advertise the units? I would like to give them away.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
So stop paying.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I just found out from the management company that whomever I give the units to must be a citizen of Australia or New Zealand. Any ideas of where to advertise the units? I would like to give them away.
I agree with the above. Stop paying.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mansfield sent a survey: Owners can log into the following link and express opinions on keeping Mansfield as a timeshare or ending it: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LECC2022

I said I want to end my ownership as soon as possible. When asked if I thought it should end as a timeshare, I answered Yes, and it asked when, and I chose the under 5 years choice.

I will keep it if I have to, but with our decisions on Wyndham Platinum Founder's ownership and what we will keep to remain Founder's, we have to decide what we really need. We can use Wyndham points for exchanges through RCI.

I always hoped to visit Mansfield one day, but it seems that coastal locations will be our aim for Australia.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mansfield sent a survey: Owners can log into the following link and express opinions on keeping Mansfield as a timeshare or ending it: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LECC2022

I said I want to end my ownership as soon as possible. When asked if I thought it should end as a timeshare, I answered Yes, and it asked when, and I chose the under 5 years choice.

I will keep it if I have to, but with our decisions on Wyndham Platinum Founder's ownership and what we will keep to remain Founder's, we have to decide what we really need. We can use Wyndham points for exchanges through RCI.

I always hoped to visit Mansfield one day, but it seems that coastal locations will be our aim for Australia.
I received a letter today. I am not totally comfortable with just stopping paying the maintenance fees, but with only being able to sell to someone from Australia, it does limit the options. I thought I would send the board a letter asking them to take back the 2 units and see if they respond. The last time I received nothing back.

Bestjax01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush, Mansfield, Aquamarine
I received a letter today. I am not totally comfortable with just stopping paying the maintenance fees, but with only being able to sell to someone from Australia, it does limit the options. I thought I would send the board a letter asking them to take back the 2 units and see if they respond. The last time I received nothing back.
Just curios, since I am in the exact same position: Did you receive a response back from the Board ?

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have heard nothing back from the Board regarding deeding the units back. I did get a survey regarding the sale of the property.

Seapus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although my situation is a bit different, I appreciate your comments. I too own Classic Holidays (Boambee Bay) and want to divest myself of this liability. I too just learned that it can only be sold to an Aussie or a Kiwi. Funny, they were glad to take my $$$ years ago. I too have received suggestion to just stop paying maintenance fee and am somewhat uncomfortable with that. We have excellent credit scores and want to maintain that. On the other hand, I was told it would cost them more money to try to collect from us the annual fee. Classic certainly has demonstrated a lack of concern for us. We offered to just give them the deed to no avail. Just wondering if there is any "new" information regarding this issue??? Thanks

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am betting that the requirement to transfer to only an Aussie or a Kiwi is because it is *much* easier for them to collect from citizens in those countries, and they probably realized how difficult and expensive it is for them to collect from US citizens. I think you could probably walk away and not really be that concerned about a hit to your credit score, esp. since it is MF vs. a mortgage/loan.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just received communication via USPS today about the dissolution of the timeshare at Mansfield Country Resort.

Sounds like owners may get a stipend per week/ interval owned. We own two. I doubt owners will get much, but we will see. Even if we received $50 for each ownership, I am glad to be done with the RCI Points. This is a good step toward getting out of RCI.

I am voting to go along with the ending of the timeshare. This all happens on Saturday at 10 AM in Attwood, VIC, specifically the Best Western at the airport.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you pay your maintenance fees for 2023?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you pay your maintenance fees for 2023?
Yes, I paid them. The fees make the points less than 1 cent per point, and I can deal with another year or two of fees. Did you vote to dissolve Mansfield as a timeshare. I know a lot of people are no longer paying. As long as I can use the points, I am happy to pay. The exchange rate is very good right now.

SydneySurfer

Reaction score
With Mansfield, it is actually a title deed to the land (ownership of the property that requires a lawyer/conveyancer) as well as a membership of the holiday club. I think the law may have changed with regards to foreign ownership of property in Australia, hence the new requirement for an owner to be an Aussie or New Zealander. I have a friend who might want it, but you in Australia, to buy/sell property, each side need to pay for a lawyer/conveyancer to process it, so you'll need to pay for your own.

Classic is hopeless. They just manage it. Contact the resort directly if you want to know something.

Boambee is different and does not need a lawyer/conveyancer to buy/sell.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was able to return my units to the management, the paperwork is done. I believe they are in the process of terminating the timeshare, but it will take a few years and I didn't want to wait.

SydneySurfer

Reaction score
I was able to return my units to the management, the paperwork is done. I believe they are in the process of terminating the timeshare, but it will take a few years and I didn't want to wait.
That's good. I'm glad you didn't just stop paying.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
With Mansfield, it is actually a title deed to the land (ownership of the property that requires a lawyer/conveyancer) as well as a membership of the holiday club. I think the law may have changed with regards to foreign ownership of property in Australia, hence the new requirement for an owner to be an Aussie or New Zealander. I have a friend who might want it, but you in Australia, to buy/sell property, each side need to pay for a lawyer/conveyancer to process it, so you'll need to pay for your own.

Classic is hopeless. They just manage it. Contact the resort directly if you want to know something.

Boambee is different and does not need a lawyer/conveyancer to buy/sell.

There is usually a work around on foreign ownership. I bought some property in Bulgaria some years ago, and at the time, Bulgarian law allowed title to a building to be held by a non-Bulgarian, but not title to land. The work around there was to form a Bulgarian corporation, which could be done by a local lawyer for about $100. The Bulgarian corporation could own the land, and a foreigner could in turn own the Bulgarian corporation.

Some years ago, I owned a timeshare week at Surfers Royale in Australia and sold it on eBay for about what I had paid for it. I had no problem in transfering the title to the buyer who lived in California.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received communication via USPS today about the dissolution of the timeshare at Mansfield Country Resort.

Sounds like owners may get a stipend per week/ interval owned. We own two. I doubt owners will get much, but we will see. Even if we received $50 for each ownership, I am glad to be done with the RCI Points. This is a good step toward getting out of RCI.

I am voting to go along with the ending of the timeshare. This all happens on Saturday at 10 AM in Attwood, VIC, specifically the Best Western at the airport.

You may be pleasantly surprised at how much you receive. I once owned a week at Golden Tulip Zandvoort in the Netherlands, which was organized as a coop. The board members were getting old and nobody came up to replace them, so they suggested winding up the resort which passed at the annual meeting. I ended up getting between 2,000 and 3,000 euros for my week when the property was sold. Still, the week was a tiger trader in the old RCI system, and I hated to see it go.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You may be pleasantly surprised at how much you receive. I once owned a week at Golden Tulip Zandvoort in the Netherlands, which was organized as a coop. The board members were getting old and nobody came up to replace them, so they suggested winding up the resort which passed at the annual meeting. I ended up getting between 2,000 and 3,000 euros for my week when the property was sold. Still, the week was a tiger trader in the old RCI system, and I hated to see it go.
If I could get $2,000 for each week, I would be happy. We own two weeks. Just getting out from under sounds good to me right now.