• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone flown through Houston to/from Cancun?

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We normally fly American Airlines to Cancun, but purchased tickets on Continnental for our upcoming trip because they were a lot cheaper. My question is regarding customs. We only have 64 minutes from scheduled landing in Houston to departure of our next flight, and this time is supposed to account for customs. Has anyone flown through Houston before? Do you have to go through security again with your carry ons after you have cleared customs? (I ask this because in Dallas you have to do this, and sometimes the line for security is very long there).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Michelle

M&M

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Michelle

I know that I'm no real help in this regard at all. (I fly from Houston and back to Houston but never through Houston). I can however, offer that I have never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes to get through security in Houston. We almost always fly Continental and, at least through their terminal, security is pretty quick. I have had a few "long" security line experiences in other cities like Las Vegas, Orlando, Chicago, but no real problems in Houston.

I was wondering what a ticket costs from AZ through Houston to Cancun? Continental is really taking advantage of the lack of competition on international flights out of Houston (especially on holiday weeks). You'll probably pay less than I will when (if) we go.

Have a Great Weekend,
Mike

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mike,

Thanks for the reply! I sure hope we are able to make all of our flights! The ticket from Tucson to Cancun via Continental was $501 (this includes taxes). America was $555 and United was $468 (cheapest I have EVER seen any flight to Cancun from Tucson). You may ask why we chose Continental over United. It was simple, travel time. With United, we would have had to leave at 6:00 am, go via LAX, and arrive in Cancun at 4:30 pm. With Continental we fly out at 5:30 and get to Cancun at 12:48. So, the short time between flights actually is in our best interest if we can make them! :)

Michelle

PBlais

TUG Member
Reaction score
All airports in the US require you exit customs and recheck bags, BUT the airlines help you with that part are the larger airports. It's not like when you start the trip and have to stand in a long line. The Imigration line is fast and the cutoms line may not even slow you down. They pick who they want to examine luggage in more detail. They often will just have people there to help you place the bags on a conveyor belt and you are done. Sometimes I've seen where the agent checking them does it after they are done and you don't have to do anything.

You personally however have to exit and go through security metal detectors a second time after you leave customs to enter the non international part of the airport. international is always divided from non international in all airports. That line only includes people like yourself that exit customs and are continuing on a second flight non international. It won't be as long as the main airport lines.

You can make it but you want to move right along. Use the restorrom and get going.

M&M

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you'll make it

maja651 said:
Mike,

Thanks for the reply! I sure hope we are able to make all of our flights! The ticket from Tucson to Cancun via Continental was $501 (this includes taxes). America was $555 and United was $468 (cheapest I have EVER seen any flight to Cancun from Tucson). You may ask why we chose Continental over United. It was simple, travel time. With United, we would have had to leave at 6:00 am, go via LAX, and arrive in Cancun at 4:30 pm. With Continental we fly out at 5:30 and get to Cancun at 12:48. So, the short time between flights actually is in our best interest if we can make them! :)

Michelle

It seems to me that you would be able to make the connections. I definitely see why you'd choose Continental vs United. 7 hours traveling and arrive by early afternoon beats 10 1/2 hours and arrive late afternoon. :)

And I told you you'll still be paying less than me. The current Continental flight to Cancun from Houston is running $561 after taxes (on the week we want to go). This may not sound too bad for some, but it's more than $200 over what we paid last year for the same week. And for a while there they were listing the price at $801 (I would have sold the timeshare before paying that kind of airfare). The good news is that from Houston, a direct flight is only a little over two hours long. (now if only the air would come down some more)

Thanks for letting me vent my flight frustrations. I'm sure you guys will make the flights. And I know you'll have a great trip. :)

Mike

marko711

TUG Member
Reaction score
I fly through Houston every year with around the same time for changing planes

I miss my flight 33% of the time and need to take a later flight. It will depend on how many flights come in at the same time. Because you have access to your checked luggage you need to go through security again. Sometimes TSA is great and has enough people other times there will be only 2 for multiple planes. Check and see if there is a later flight they can put you on if you miss the flight. If you do miss the flight go right to customer service before the crowds get there. I will often call on my phone to check the status of my connecting flight in case it is late I have a better chance to make the flight. There are signs everywhere waning you not to use your phone so try to be inconspicuous about it.

geoffb

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have made this connection in the past (barely). The flight from Cancun arrived late, which is not uncommon. The customs and immigration staff was aware that people had connections to make and kept things moving but we had to basically run for it once we got off the little train that runs between terminals.

nana7

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have come through Houston many times and ''almost '' miss flights. But they know how many people are connecting and usually very good about hold planes for people. My husband can not walk very fast..so we have a wheelchair or at least the electric cart and that HELPS A LOT. Never have had a problem. Last year I think we were the last ones on the plane.

cymomtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Houston, Continental has their own international arrivals terminal which you would think is an advantage. But it is hit or miss based on how many flightsare arriving at one time. Last year when we came in from Cancun it took us over 30 minutes for immigration, then about another 30 for customs.

Just like in Cancun, first you go through immigration, then you get your luggage and then go through customs, then recheck your luggage and then go to your next flight.

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies! Obviously, based on my original post, I was aware that you need to go through immigration, and then US Customs with your bags after you arrive in the US. The part I didn't know was whether or not you had to re-enter the airport again and be searched by TSA, which it sounds lik you do. Luckily, our seats are near the front of the plane, so at least the immigration line should be shorter. Obviously, the Customs line will depend on when our luggage comes out.

Again, thanks everyone for your responses!

Mike - That is unbelivable that we pay LESS than you, when we have 2 flights, and you have one! Reminds me of America West flight to Cancun from Arizona. From Tucson, it is $50-$100 cheaper than from Phoenix, even though you have to catch a flight from Tucson to Phoenix, to catch the direct flight from Phoenix! Makes no sense!

Michelle

cymomtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
M&M said:
It seems to me that you would be able to make the connections. I definitely see why you'd choose Continental vs United. 7 hours traveling and arrive by early afternoon beats 10 1/2 hours and arrive late afternoon. :)

And I told you you'll still be paying less than me. The current Continental flight to Cancun from Houston is running $561 after taxes (on the week we want to go). This may not sound too bad for some, but it's more than $200 over what we paid last year for the same week. And for a while there they were listing the price at $801 (I would have sold the timeshare before paying that kind of airfare). The good news is that from Houston, a direct flight is only a little over two hours long. (now if only the air would come down some more)

Thanks for letting me vent my flight frustrations. I'm sure you guys will make the flights. And I know you'll have a great trip. :)

Mike

Don't shoot me, we are flying American this year, we usually fly continental out of IAH, but I got tickets for $330 in October.

M&M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha

Hey, no problem with that.
My biggest problem is that I own a holiday week (26). Continental is jacking up the price for that week and then dropping it back down. For the end of July I think they were charging $380. The week I need was going for $801 (I hope nobody actually paid that amount) now it has dropped to $561. If it doesn't fall to a more reasonable rate, I'll either fly AA (through Dallas) or possibly use Funjet (AeroMexico). Or I'll just rent out my week to someone that can get better airfare (maybe from NY)

Mike

wvanly

TUG Member
Reaction score
They held the flight last year!

We had a little over an hour to make our connection last spring and the custom lines were very long - we were flying with a group of people, part of our group got in a faster line and made the connection without any problems -our line was slower - needless to say they were calling our names and we took a cart to our flight - they held the flight so we made it. Another time on our way from O'hare to Houston, our flight was late and we had to make the next connection.

Wendi